FA to Investigate Southampton Over 'Spygate'

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Southampton v Leicester City - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 14, 2026 General view of empty seats during the match Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Southampton v Leicester City - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 14, 2026 General view of empty seats during the match Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs/File Photo
TT

FA to Investigate Southampton Over 'Spygate'

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Southampton v Leicester City - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 14, 2026 General view of empty seats during the match Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Southampton v Leicester City - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 14, 2026 General view of empty seats during the match Action Images via Reuters/Paul Childs/File Photo

The Football Association said on Thursday it had launched an investigation into Southampton after the club admitted to spying on three Championship rivals this season.

Southampton were expelled from the Championship playoffs after acknowledging they observed opponents' training sessions within 72 hours of matches, with Middlesbrough reinstated on Tuesday to face Hull City in Saturday's final.

The winner ⁠of the lucrative ⁠playoff final, often described as the richest match in soccer, is promoted to the Premier League next season.

"We will now investigate, and won't comment further until we have assessed ⁠the evidence," the FA said in a statement.

The club have also been handed a four-point deduction for next season, while their appeal, which argued the punishment was "disproportionate", was rejected on Wednesday.

The English Football League (EFL) confirmed on Wednesday that the club's sanction, along with a four-point deduction for the 2026–27 season ⁠and ⁠a formal reprimand, will stand, forcing the south-coast side to quickly turn its focus to rebuilding both on and off the pitch.

The club had admitted to spying on opponents in a case dubbed 'Spygate', including filming a Middlesbrough training session before their semi-final, as well as similar incidents involving Oxford United and Ipswich Town earlier in the campaign.



French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”


Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
TT

Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo

Jannik Sinner and Novak Djokovic will not be able to meet until the French Open final after the pair were placed in opposite halves of the draw on Thursday.

Sinner, the red-hot title favourite in the absence of injured rival Carlos Alcaraz, will start his bid for a maiden Roland Garros crown against French wildcard Clement Tabur, the world number 165.

World number one Sinner is slated to meet big-hitting American fifth seed Ben Shelton in the quarter-finals.

Daniil Medvedev is a possible semi-final opponent for the Italian, AFP reported.

The Russian gave Sinner a rare scare in the Italian Open semis earlier this month before eventually succumbing in three sets.

Djokovic will kick off his latest tilt at a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title against home player Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard.

Second seed Alexander Zverev is a potential semi-final opponent for Djokovic.

The German has played Djokovic twice before at Roland Garros, suffering quarter-final defeats against the Serb in 2019 and last year.

The stand-out first-round tie sees in-form French number one Arthur Fils take on former champion Stan Wawrinka, featuring at the tournament for the last time before retirement.

 

 

 

 


Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia has retained its top position in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) club rankings, according to the latest update for the 2025–2026 season.

The Kingdom leads the standings with 132.545 points, followed by Japan in second place with 120.410 points, and South Korea in third with 87.334 points.

This marks the sixth consecutive year Saudi Arabia has topped the AFC rankings, reflecting the strong performances of Saudi clubs in continental competitions and their consistent competitiveness in Asian tournaments.