New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
TT

New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo

New Zealand captain Chris Wood says he is fully fit for the World Cup and his long injury battle has made him hungrier for success as the All Whites look to reach the knockout phase for the first time.

After undergoing surgery on his left knee in December, the 34-year-old striker returned to action for Nottingham Forest last month before being included in New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley's squad for the June 11 to July 19 finals in North America.

New Zealand's record scorer with 45 goals in 88 appearances, Wood said he had moved past the recovery phase with his knee and was looking forward to locking ⁠horns with Iran, ⁠Egypt and Belgium at the World Cup.

"I'm fully back to full fitness. I've been playing games now for over a month-and-a-half, so I feel good, feel up to speed, which is nice, and ready to continue to attack the off-season," he told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"I'm just happy to be back firing both for Forest and for the national team coming into this World Cup period.

"And it's just ⁠given me that hunger to strive and achieve more, definitely."

Wood and defender Tommy Smith are the only players in the squad who represented New Zealand the last time they played at the World Cup when it was hosted by South Africa in 2010.

Then 18, Wood came off the bench in the group matches against Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay.

New Zealand bowed out with three draws but won acclaim for going through unbeaten in their second World Cup and first since 1982.

Wood said the current squad was completely different, much more a technical, ball-playing side versus the "run-through-brick-walls" players of 2010.

He was nonetheless confident they could get out of their ⁠group.

"That's our aim, ⁠and then build from there. We're under no illusion it's going to be tough, but we think we've got the quality in our dressing room to be able to do that," Reuters quoted him as saying.

New Zealand kick off their World Cup against Iran on June 15 in Los Angeles, a match that will be in the spotlight following the United States and Israel's military strikes against the Middle East nation.

While Iran's preparations have been disrupted by the conflict, Wood said they would be no pushovers.

"I believe they're 21st, 22nd in the world, so no mugs in that sense," he said.

"So they're going to be tough to beat and tough to perform against.

"I know the (NZ) coaching staff is doing all they can to do the analytic side of it for (Iran). And we'll be ready on and off the pitch for them."



Barcelona Enter New Era as Flick Targets La Liga Hat-trick

Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
TT

Barcelona Enter New Era as Flick Targets La Liga Hat-trick

Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP

Hansi Flick's second season at Barcelona built on the success of his first, with the German coach guiding the Catalan giants to a second straight La Liga title.

His third campaign, however, brings significant structural change to the team as Barcelona look to maintain their domestic dominance and handle the threat of Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid, while aiming to end their wait for Champions League glory, said AFP.

Barca begin their campaign at Elche on Sunday in the Spanish top flight, a day after Mourinho's Los Blancos visit Espanyol in the Catalan capital.

"We have an incredible team, with a lot of quality," Flick told Barca's fans on Wednesday ahead of their final pre-season friendly against Al Ahly. "We are ready to work hard day after day and to fight for all the titles."

The arrival of Rodri from Manchester City is Barca's most significant addition, while the departures of veteran striker Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres leave Flick with a reshaped attacking unit.

Barcelona have been prolific going forward but vulnerable at the back since Flick arrived in 2024, and the club hopes the arrival of World Cup winner Rodri can help address the latter.

The Spain captain was a market opportunity Barcelona were reluctant to pass up, particularly with Real Madrid also linked with the 30-year-old holding midfielder before his move to Catalonia.

Rodri brings not only control and defensive protection but also the experience of winning the biggest trophies in club football, qualities Barcelona hope can help them claim a first European crown since 2015.

"I'm here to compete for everything, for big things like the Champions League," said Rodri after his presentation.

Achieving a third consecutive Liga title is a challenge in itself, particularly with Real Madrid strengthening heavily in the transfer market and turning back to Portuguese veteran Mourinho.

Barcelona have established a domestic advantage over their great rivals in recent seasons, but Mourinho's arrival adds fuel to the fire of a rivalry he helped turn particularly bitter during his first spell in Madrid, between 2010-2013.

For Flick, the wily Mourinho represents a different kind of challenge.

The German has generally had few problems with opposing coaches during his time in Spain, but Mourinho is an expert at piling pressure on his rivals.

- Striker vacancy -

Former Germany and Bayern boss Flick will also have to rebuild an attack that has been one of the team's greatest strengths.

New arrivals Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi appear well suited to the German's high-intensity approach, with both offering the pace and work rate required to lead Barcelona's aggressive pressing game.

However, the key question is whether sporting director Deco can land a center-forward before the transfer window closes.

Barca's attempt to sign Julian Alvarez splintered on the rocks of Atletico Madrid's resolve, leaving Flick without an obvious replacement for Lewandowski.

"What Ferran did we can cover with the signings, but what Robert did is more difficult," said Deco.

"We have internal solutions but we will make another move, we'll try and find the best solution."

Barcelona could opt for a cheaper attacker and preserve their spending power for next summer, particularly after making pricy moves for Rodri and Gordon.

Dani Olmo, Raphinha, Gordon and Adeyemi can all operate as false nines, giving Flick different ways to compensate for the absence of a traditional striker, if the club do not get a deal over the line.

Above all, Barcelona will hope teenage sensation Lamine Yamal can remain in his extraordinary form and enjoy a full season at the top of his game after injuries and other concerns disrupted the early months of his previous campaign.

At just 19, Yamal is already the crucial figure in Barcelona's attack and the player around whom the club's ambitions are built.

If Rodri can provide greater stability behind him and Flick finds enough goals across a reshaped attack, Barcelona have the tools they need to retain their Liga crown.

With Mourinho back in the Spanish capital the domestic race promises to be more fiercely contested though, and with the Champions League a key goal for Barca, Los Blancos are aiming to capitalize.


Global Initiative for Female Athletes Expands to 9 Nations

Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
TT

Global Initiative for Female Athletes Expands to 9 Nations

Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers

The Global Alliance for Female Athletes (GAFA) has expanded from four to nine members with Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Switzerland joining the initiative, the Australian Sports Commission said on Friday.

Aimed at improving health and performance outcomes for women in sport, GAFA was launched last year by organizations from Australia, the US, Britain and New Zealand.

Ireland and Belgium have also joined the initiative as ⁠supporting partners.

The Australian ⁠Institute of Sport (AIS), which helped establish the alliance, said the new members would strengthen international collaboration in addressing research gaps and enhance support for female athletes, coaches and sports medicine practitioners.

"The growth ⁠of GAFA to nine nations shows there is enormous appetite around the world to work together, share knowledge and create lasting change for female athletes," AIS Female Performance Health Initiative lead Rachel Harris said in a statement.

"By working together across borders, we're able to accelerate research, share lessons faster and ensure more female athletes benefit ⁠from ⁠the latest evidence and insights."

According to Reuters, Harris said a key priority for the alliance was ensuring that female-focused research reaches athletes, coaches and health professionals around the world.

The expansion comes amid growing efforts to address female-specific health issues in sport, including anterior cruciate ligament injuries, with studies showing female athletes are two to six times more likely to sustain the injury than men.


US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
TT

US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo

The US Open will hand out $108 million in prize money at this year's final Grand Slam, it said on Thursday, marking the largest purse in tennis history and a 20% jump from last year's total payout.

The men's and women's singles champions ⁠at the August ⁠23 to September 13 major in New York will earn $5.5 million each, which marks a 10% increase from last year ⁠and is the largest Grand Slam payment in history for a main draw singles champion.

The compensation package also includes what tournament organizers said is a Grand Slam record for first-round payouts, which this year will increase 27% ⁠to $140,000, Reuters reported.

The ⁠payout structure was revealed shortly after the sport's four biggest tournaments announced the creation of a Grand Slam Player Council that is intended to give players a voice on a range of issues like prize money.