Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)

Novak Djokovic will headline the opening day of Roland Garros on Sunday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion begins his latest tilt at history.

Lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for a fourth time would send the 39-year-old clear as the player with the most major titles.

Djokovic's last Grand Slam title came at the US Open in 2023, and every subsequent major has been claimed by tennis' two new dominant forces -- Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz.

With double-defending champion Alcaraz missing through injury, Djokovic will enter his first-round match in the night session on Stade Philippe Chatrier against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard knowing this may well be his best chance of claiming a record-breaking 25th crown.

"It's been a lot of hours spent on the court and trying to perfect the game and the body and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best of five (sets)," Djokovic told reporters Friday of his preparations as he returns from a shoulder issue.

"Let's see. I don't know whether that's going to be the case for the entire tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.

"But Grand Slams have been, and I have said this many times, always the priority list, particularly in the last couple of years... So I can't wait to get on a court and start competing."

The third-seeded Serb enters the tournament with little match practice on clay after only competing in the Italian Open, where he was eliminated in his opening match earlier this month.

Djokovic is a different beast when it comes to Grand Slams. Despite his reduced participation in ATP tournaments in recent years, he has nonetheless reached at least the semi-finals at each of the past five majors.

He has, however, been handed a tough draw in the French capital.

First on the menu is former world number 29 Mpetshi Perricard, who, in addition to having one of the biggest serves on the tour, will also enjoy raucous home backing on Roland Garros' center court.

Second seed Alexander Zverev will also be in action on the opening day as the German faces home hope Benjamin Bonzi.

Rising stars Joao Fonseca of Brazil and Czech Jakub Mensik will both open their bids on Court Simonne Mathieu.

- 'Never tricky' -

Russia's Mirra Andreeva will be the highest-ranked woman playing on Sunday. The eighth seed meets French wildcard Fiona Ferro on Philippe Chatrier.

"Of course it's never tricky to play a French player, especially in Paris," Andreeva joked.

"Because obviously the crowd is gonna support her as much as they can, and that's totally okay. I mean, I have some experience even from last year when I played quarters, so I pretty much know what to expect."

Last year, the 19-year-old stormed through to the last eight before falling to French sensation Lois Boisson in a match in which Andreeva received a warning from the umpire for blasting the ball into the crowd.

Swiss 11th seed Belinda Bencic will open play for the tournament on Philippe Chatrier against Austrian qualifier Sinja Kraus.

Former Grand Slam champions Sofia Kenin, Barbora Krejcikova and Emma Raducanu all start their French Open campaigns too.

Lilli Tagger of Austria, the 2025 junior champion who has drawn comparisons to four-time Roland Garros winner Justine Henin for her elegant single-handed backhand, will make her bow in the senior draw on court nine against Chinese 32nd seed Wang Xinyu.



Late Gvardiol Strike Earns Maresca Winning Start and Brighton Hammer Villa

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Late Gvardiol Strike Earns Maresca Winning Start and Brighton Hammer Villa

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - August 23, 2026 Manchester City's Erling Haaland and Josko Gvardiol celebrate after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn

City's post-Pep Guardiola era began with late drama as Josko Gvardiol's stoppage-time winner secured a 2-1 victory over Bournemouth in Enzo Maresca's first Premier League game in charge on Sunday.

The defender thought he had been denied when his close-range finish was ruled offside, only for a VAR review to overturn the decision and spark wild celebrations at the Etihad Stadium after Marc Guehi had earlier hauled City level.

"Everyone is proud in the moment, it's the opening game of the season and we know how important it is, especially with all the changes we've had in the previous weeks," Gvardiol told Sky Sports. "We need to enjoy this, we deserve it and I'm ⁠happy with the ⁠three points."

The hosts had been stunned in the 26th minute when City failed to deal with a long ball, allowing Rayan to release Evanilson down the right, and the Brazilian's low cross found Marcus Tavernier unmarked at the far post for a simple finish.

But Maresca's side kept pressing and were rewarded in the 84th minute when Guehi rose highest to power home ⁠a corner. Gvardiol won it in the 91st minute when Rayan Cherki poked the ball through a gap in the back line and the defender swivelled before slotting home.

Erling Haaland, sporting a new buzz cut after ditching his trademark flowing blonde hair, had earlier squandered a good opportunity when he misjudged his run and headed Nico O'Reilly's inviting cross away from goal.

Aston Villa suffered a nightmare opening match as they were beaten 4-0 by Brighton & Hove Albion, with all the goals and a red card for Joao Gomes coming in the first half. An own goal by Victor Lindelof was ⁠followed by ⁠a Maxim De Cuyper finish. Jack Hinshelwood then scored twice in less than two minutes.

Villa, who lost key players Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans and Ezri Konsa in a transfer-window exodus, went behind in the eighth minute when Pau Torres played a loose ball back into his own area, allowing De Cuyper to pounce, Reuters reported. The Belgian's shot struck the post before rebounding in off Lindelof.

Worse followed in the 18th minute when Georginio Rutter delivered a cross that De Cuyper converted from close range.

Hinshelwood swept home the third in the 30th minute before striking again barely a minute later when Villa lost possession straight from the restart.

Villa were reduced to 10 men when Gomes was shown a red card for violent conduct in the 40th minute.


Norris Wins F1's Dutch Grand Prix after Battle with Antonelli

First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026.  EPA/Sem van der Wal
First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026. EPA/Sem van der Wal
TT

Norris Wins F1's Dutch Grand Prix after Battle with Antonelli

First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026.  EPA/Sem van der Wal
First placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain celebrates with the trophy on the podium after the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort racetrack in Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August 2026. EPA/Sem van der Wal

McLaren’s Lando Norris passed Kimi Antonelli and Lewis Hamilton in the space of a single lap before holding on to win the Dutch Grand Prix for back-to-back Formula 1 victories Sunday.

Norris started on pole but was overtaken by Antonelli's Mercedes at a restart after the race was stopped for a heavy crash by home hero Max Verstappen, who was unhurt, shortly after the start.

Norris reeled in Antonelli before passing him around the outside of the first corner in a daring move on lap 54 of 72, then took the lead from Ferrari's Hamilton before the lap was over.

The defending champion held on with old tires to take the win. “This fight is still on," he said over team radio.

“The move (to pass Antonelli) was good. I knew I was not going to get many chances. Every lap I spent behind him my chances got lower and lower,” Norris said. “Well played from my part...I probably had one chance.”

Antonelli was second after his Mercedes teammate George Russell was ordered to move out of his way, following a failed gamble on a tire change by Antonelli. Russell clung on to finish third ahead of Hamilton, The Associated Press reported.

There was tension at Mercedes as both Antonelli and Russell criticized the team's decisions over the radio.

Antonelli called his team's strategy “too risky” when the team congratulated him on second place, while Russell earlier seemed to object to being asked to give way to his teammate.

“Is he fighting for the win? Or is he planning to catch Norris?” Russell questioned, at a point where Norris was far ahead of both.

Russell relented after the race and said he felt Mercedes had made the right decision to avoid the two battling for position as Hamilton closed in behind.

Antonelli “would have overtaken anyway so it was the right decision,” Russell said. "It’s been a strong weekend overall so I’ll take the positives.”

There was a half-hour delay after Verstappen slammed into the wall on a damp first lap, stopping the race and ensuring a nightmare end to his last home race in the Netherlands for the foreseeable future.

The Dutch Grand Prix is dropping off the schedule after this season and the many orange-clad Dutch fans who turned up to support Verstappen instead saw Norris and his orange McLaren take the win.

Charles Leclerc was fifth on another disappointing day for Ferrari ahead of its home race in Italy in two weeks’ time. Norris’ teammate Oscar Piastri was sixth after running in the top three early on, and Liam Lawson salvaged seventh for Red Bull after being called in to replace the injured Isack Hadjar.

Nico Hulkenberg was eighth for Audi, with Fernando Alonso ninth in the best result of an otherwise-disastrous 2026 for Aston Martin. Alpine’s Pierre Gasly rounded out the top ten.


Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
TT

Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Manchester City are set to sign midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi from French side Lille, with British media reporting the Premier League club could pay up to 100 million euros ($116.80 million) for the 18-year-old.

The Athletic reported City will pay an initial fee of 95 million plus up to five million in add-ons for the Morocco international.

Bouaddi would become one of City's most expensive signings, following the arrival of Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest in a reported 116 million pounds ($158.18 million) deal earlier this summer, Reuters reported.

Primarily a defensive midfielder, Bouaddi made 30 Ligue 1 appearances as Lille finished third and secured qualification for the Champions League.

Bouaddi also made his senior debut for Morocco in May and was later included in the country's 26-man World Cup squad. He made his tournament debut against Brazil and started five of Morocco's six matches as they reached the quarter-finals.