Trump, Iran's President Sign Deal to End Mideast War

17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
TT

Trump, Iran's President Sign Deal to End Mideast War

17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa

US President Donald Trump and Iran's president signed a deal Wednesday meant to end the Middle East war, with Tehran agreeing to dilute its enriched uranium in return for large-scale economic relief.

Trump put his signature to the memorandum of understanding during a candlelit dinner at the Palace of Versailles following a G7 summit, as host French President Emmanuel Macron and other guests applauded, a video posted by a Trump aide showed, AFP reported.

"Just signed it," Trump told reporters as he emerged from the palace.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei, quoted by the state news agency IRNA, said the document "was finalized with the signatures of the presidents."

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, which mediated the agreement, said on X that it "shall enter into force with immediate effect."

The deal aims to draw a line under the war launched February 28 by the United States and Israel, prompting Iran to counterattack with missile and drone salvos across the region -- and effectively shutting down the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial waterway for the world economy. The US responded by blocking shipping to and from Iranian ports.

"As a first step, Islamic Republic of Iran will instantly reopen the Strait of Hormuz and the United States of America will immediately lift the naval blockade," Sharif wrote.

Under the text, Washington also commits to immediately waive oil sanctions crippling Iran's economy.

And once a final agreement is reached on the Iranina republic's nuclear program, the United States will also facilitate the release of a $300 billion reconstruction fund supported by regional nations, the deal says.

The agreement had earlier been slated for signatures by Iran's chief negotiator and parliament speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, and US Vice President JD Vance. Iran said an in-person ceremony was no longer needed.

But Sharif said an official ceremony will take place Friday in Switzerland and technical talks will commence.

- 'Great victory' -

Iran insisted the deal represented a US "failure."

"People will see it and judge," Ghalibaf said on state television late Wednesday, after the text was released by both sides.

Highlighting the global impact of any deal, China said Wednesday that its top diplomat had impressed on Tehran that it was "key" for all sides to "genuinely implement" their commitments.

But Trump's decision to pull the plug on the war, in which 13 US service members were killed and vast amounts of US ammunition stockpiles were used up, has unsettled some of his own allies at home.

The agreement is only a temporary arrangement meant to give time for starting detailed negotiations on the far more complex issue of long-term control over Iran's nuclear power ambitions, which Washington has long suspected of harboring a secret bomb-making program.

Trump said earlier Wednesday that he was prepared to "bomb the hell" out of Iran if they violated the agreement.

But US Senator Bill Cassidy from Trump's own Republican Party was scathing.

"Iran's nuclear ambitions were not curbed, and they have learned that threatening the Strait of Hormuz works," he said. "Sanctions will be lifted, and the bombing has stopped. This is the worst foreign policy blunder in decades."

The head of the pro-Tehran Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah, Naim Qassem, on Wednesday described the deal as a "great victory" for Iran.

He thanked Tehran for insisting that the truce cover Lebanon, which was drawn into the conflict when Hezbollah fired rockets at Israel on March 2 in support of Iran.

- Negotiations to begin -

A two-month negotiating period now begins, with the much-anticipated reopening of the Strait of Hormuz as the first step.

Under the terms of the deal released by US officials, Iran will dilute its enriched uranium stocks, possibly by "down-blending on site under the supervision of the IAEA" -- the UN's nuclear watchdog.

This would lead to more far-reaching economic assistance for Iran.

But a US official said Washington would not be required to contribute financially.

Oil prices have tumbled in recent days as optimism grew of a lasting Middle East peace agreement, but reversed course on Wednesday.

Prices briefly jumped five percent as uncertainty spread about the signing, before stabilizing later in the day.

- Lebanese front -

While violence declined in Lebanon following the announcement of the deal, Israeli strikes on the south have killed at least five people since then, according to state media, which also reported Israeli raids on south Lebanon on Wednesday.

Israel's army said five soldiers were wounded on Wednesday, one of them severely, "as a result of an explosive drone impact in southern Lebanon", the first such announcement since the US-Iran deal.

The Israeli military also said its air force intercepted "several rockets" launched toward soldiers operating in south Lebanon, without reporting casualties.



Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.


Only 40% of World’s Health Facilities Meet Basic Sanitation Standards, Says UN

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
TT

Only 40% of World’s Health Facilities Meet Basic Sanitation Standards, Says UN

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)

Only four in 10 healthcare facilities worldwide meet basic sanitation standards for accessible and usable toilets, the United Nations said Tuesday, while 11 percent have no sanitation services at all.

In a report, the UN's health and children's agencies said only 40 percent of healthcare facilities last year had toilets that adequately met the needs of patients and staff, including people with limited mobility.

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings.

Its 2025 estimate found significant gaps in access to basic sanitation standards, which it said required usable facilities including at least one toilet dedicated to staff, at least one sex-separated toilet with menstrual hygiene facilities and at least one toilet accessible for people with limited mobility.

Relying on data from 70 countries, the report showed that sanitation levels in healthcare facilities varied widely between regions, with only 23 percent of facilities in sub-Saharan Africa providing basic services, compared to 55 percent in central and southern Asia.

It found there was no sanitation service at more than one in 10 health facilities globally, serving 936 million people.

In addition to sanitation, the report estimated access in healthcare facilities to water, hygiene, environmental cleaning and waste management.

It found that an estimated 85 percent of facilities last year had basic water services, 72 percent had basic hygiene services and 71 percent basic healthcare waste management services.

Only 59 percent of facilities meanwhile met basic so-called environmental cleaning standards, which require both cleaning protocols and trained cleaning staff and is core to infection prevention and control.

A full 18 percent of facilities, serving around 1.5 billion people, met neither of the environmental cleaning requirements, said the report, which for this category relied on data from 54 countries.

The situation is particularly dire in poorer countries.

The environmental cleaning standard was met by just 24 percent of facilities in the world's least-developed nations.


Russia Warns Britain of ‘Consequences’ for Supplying Drones to Ukraine

 An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Russia Warns Britain of ‘Consequences’ for Supplying Drones to Ukraine

 An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)

Russia warned ‌Britain on Tuesday it would face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine which are used to attack targets on Russian territory.

Russia's embassy in London was responding to a report in the Times newspaper on Saturday which said British-made drones had been used for long-range strikes against Russia for the first time.

"London's actions will ‌inevitably carry ‌consequences for which it will ‌have ⁠to answer," the ⁠embassy said in a statement posted on its Telegram channel.

"The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for Kyiv's terrorist machinery, the higher the price it will pay."

Ukraine ⁠has been using deep-strike drones ‌to hit oil refineries ‌and logistics facilities.

Britain's Ministry of Defense did ‌not confirm whether British drones had been ‌used.

In June, Britain said it would provide 150,000 drones to Ukraine by the end of 2026 as part of a £752 million ($996 million) ‌funding package.

Asked about the Russian embassy comments, a defense ministry spokesperson ⁠said: "Britain ⁠stands shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine and we are committed to providing the equipment Ukraine needs to defend itself against Putin's illegal invasion."

Since the start of Russia's war against Ukraine in 2022, Moscow has repeatedly warned Britain and other Western allies that their support for Kyiv, including the supply of equipment, could provoke retaliatory measures and increase the risk of a broader confrontation.