Calls for State Inquiry as Israel Marks 1,000 Days Since Oct. 7

A demonstrator wears a mask depicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a rally marking 1,000 days to the deadly Oct. 7, 2023, (AP)
A demonstrator wears a mask depicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a rally marking 1,000 days to the deadly Oct. 7, 2023, (AP)
TT

Calls for State Inquiry as Israel Marks 1,000 Days Since Oct. 7

A demonstrator wears a mask depicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a rally marking 1,000 days to the deadly Oct. 7, 2023, (AP)
A demonstrator wears a mask depicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a rally marking 1,000 days to the deadly Oct. 7, 2023, (AP)

Israelis called on Thursday for a state commission of inquiry into Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack, as the country marked 1,000 days since the deadliest event in its history, which triggered the war in Gaza.

A series of somber commemorations were being held across the country, as well as protests against the government's handling of events during and after the attack.

The first began at 6:29 am (0329 GMT) -- the exact time at which the Palestinian movement Hamas launched its assault on Israel.

"What weighs on me most is the fact that even now, 1,000 days after the event, we are still in the middle of it, and what could have been done to reach some kind of closure has not been done," Jerusalem resident Dina Hertz told AFP.

"I mean a genuine commission of inquiry, genuine taking of responsibility, drawing real conclusions, and a true sense of shame and pain by those who were at the head of the system on October 7."

The Hamas-led attack resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures. Gunmen also took 251 hostages to Gaza.

Israel's retaliatory military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 73,000 people, according to the territory's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.

Since a ceasefire took effect on October 10 last year, at least 1,059 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, according to the health ministry, and the Israeli military says it has lost five soldiers and one contractor over the same period.

Israeli forces occupy nearly 70 percent of the territory.

- 'Day of rage' -

Meeting with a group of bereaved families, President Isaac Herzog said the day was "a reminder of Israel's capacity to grow out of crisis and unbearable pain: to remember, and never to forget".

The "October Council", founded by the families of victims and hostages taken on October 7, is one of the main organizers of Thursday's events.

Gatherings are scheduled in front of the Israeli parliament and near the homes of government members.

"The families of the hostages and the bereaved families are demanding the establishment of a state commission of inquiry now!" the October Council said on X.

The "Hostages Square" plaza in Tel Aviv, which became a focal point for the struggle to release the captives during the Gaza war, has been renamed "Memory Square" for the day.

In the square under the beating sun, a girl played a piano plastered with stickers paying tribute to victims and soldiers who fell in battle.

"The thousandth day is the day of weeping, a day of rage, a day of anger and above all, a day of mourning," said Eyal Eshel, whose daughter, a soldier, was killed on October 7.

"For a thousand days, we have continued counting, and we will keep counting until a state commission of inquiry is established and until this government is no longer in power," he added.

A memorial event was also scheduled for 8:00 pm at Tel Aviv's Yarkon Park, bringing together victims' families and leading figures of the protest movement against the Israeli authorities and their handling of events.

Israel's military chief, Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, on Monday said: "This day reminds us of our overall responsibility and the weight that rests on our shoulders".

Gadi Eizenkot, former army chief and now a leading candidate to succeed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the elections due to be held in October, marked the day in a short X post.

"1,000 days. We will still prove ourselves worthy. I promise," he wrote.

According to polls, a large number of Israelis across the political spectrum support the establishment of a body to determine who is responsible for the authorities' failure to prevent the deadliest-ever attack on Israel.

Netanyahu's government, however, has long refused to establish such a commission, the likes of which Israel has commonly set up in the past to investigate major state-level failings.



Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
TT

Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

Iran said Monday it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.

Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”

He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during the interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports and it was not clear whether this would meet Washington’s expectations.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked the country on Feb. 28.

Baghaei conceded the talks with Oman have gone slowly, “but we had planned, and still plan, to finalize the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement.”

His comments came as a 60-day deadline for finding an agreement to end the war expired, with no signs of a deal between the US and Iran.


Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
TT

Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)

Dozens of residents on Monday jeered the French prime minister as he arrived in a region hit by wildfires earlier this summer, in a show of anger over the government's handling of the worst such crisis in France in decades.

Some 200 people dressed in black gathered in front of the town hall in Le Porge in southwestern France, where 183 homes burned down when wildfires swept through the Gironde region in late July and early August, at one point even threatening the city of Bordeaux.

They jeered, whistled and shouted anti-government slogans as the tinted-window car with a flashing light carrying Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu approached for a meeting with the mayor of Le Porge, Martial Zaninetti, an AFP correspondent said.

"Where is he? Where is he?" the crowd shouted.

"It would have been the least he could do" for the prime minister to meet the residents, said Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensioner. "It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter."

Lecornu's office said he had spoken with affected residents and farmers.

"We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks," Lecornu said as he met local officials in the nearby town of Merignac after leaving Le Porge.

He had already visited Le Porge on Sunday afternoon to tour the municipality with the mayor -- a trip that had not been announced and took place without press cameras.

There is anger in the region among some residents who allege authorities prioritized fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula -- where many affluent Parisians take holidays -- over protecting homes of local residents.

"He doesn't want to meet us; it's a shame. We had things we wanted to say," said Ludivine Daurignac, organizer of a group of affected residents who plan to file complaints and get "truth, transparency, and justice".

"We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access," she said.

Having burned through 42,000 hectares, the fire was brought under control on August 1.

It was the largest such fire in France by surface area since 1949, with the flames coming within 15 kilometers (10 miles) of the Bordeaux metropolitan area and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists.


Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
TT

Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)

Iran said on Monday that two French embassy employees involved in a diplomatic dispute last month would not be allowed to return to Iran.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two had violated the Vienna Convention - which defines the rules and privileges of diplomatic missions - engaging in activities supporting Iranian civil society.

"Insisting that these individuals were engaged ⁠in activities related to ⁠supporting civil society is itself an admission that the Vienna Convention was violated," Baghaei told a weekly press conference, without elaborating.

Tehran has long been highly sensitive to what ⁠it sees as Western meddling in its internal affairs, especially since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in late February in a conflict that continues to rage.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot, in an interview with France Inter last month, said the mission of the two embassy employees concerned ⁠was ⁠to "develop programs supporting Iranian civil society, students, and artists (...) France is one of the countries in the world that does the most for Iranian civil society, and we have paid the price for it."

France summoned Iran's charge d'affaires on July 21 after accusing Iranian security forces of detaining and physically intimidating its embassy staff in Tehran.