David v Goliath as Cape Verde Face Messi’s Argentina at World Cup

 Cape Verde head coach Bubista speaks during a World Cup press conference Thursday, July 2, 2026, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP)
Cape Verde head coach Bubista speaks during a World Cup press conference Thursday, July 2, 2026, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP)
TT

David v Goliath as Cape Verde Face Messi’s Argentina at World Cup

 Cape Verde head coach Bubista speaks during a World Cup press conference Thursday, July 2, 2026, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP)
Cape Verde head coach Bubista speaks during a World Cup press conference Thursday, July 2, 2026, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (AP)

A classic David versus Goliath encounter will take center stage at the World Cup on Friday as tiny Cape Verde face Lionel Messi and Argentina with a place in the last 16 at stake.

Cape Verde, the smallest nation ever to reach the knockout rounds, face the defending champions in Miami dreaming of pulling off what would be the greatest upset in World Cup history.

The Atlantic archipelago have become one of the fairytale stories of this year's expanded 48-team tournament, confounding expectations by earning a draw with Spain before squeezing into the last 32 ahead of Group H rivals Uruguay and Saudi Arabia.

Argentina, who breezed into the knockout rounds with the help of six goals from captain Messi, will be expected to swat aside the African qualifiers to move one step closer to their dream of back-to-back World Cup titles.

But Cape Verde insist they will not be overawed by the occasion and the prospect of sharing a field with the reigning world champions and eight-time Ballon D'Or winner Messi.

"We are calm because we earned our place here on merit and there is nothing to fear or worry too much about," Cape Verde coach Bubista said.

"We know the importance of the match ahead. It is the match of our lives, but we are going to enjoy it and give our best. There is no other thought in our minds than trying to advance past this round."

Netherlands-born Cape Verde midfielder Deroy Duarte was similarly nonplussed, saying the minnows would relish the chance to make history.

"Everything is an honor and a reward, and we see Argentina as a game like this -- another chance to make history," Duarte said.

"So why not? We will give everything and then at the end of the game we will see."

- 'Not here by accident' -

Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni, who will mark his 100th game in charge of the South American giants in Friday's encounter, insists his team will not be taking their opponents lightly, pointing to their unbeaten record in the group stage.

"This is a team that hasn't lost," said Scaloni.

"They aren't here by accident. We have to respect them, and that is what we will do."

A win for Argentina will see them into a last 16 game against either Australia or Egypt, who meet in Dallas on Friday.

Australia coach Tony Popovic has challenged the Socceroos to make history by winning their first ever World Cup knockout game.

"It will be a special match and we want to show Australian football on the world stage," Popovic said on Thursday, adding that "if we perform well, we have a chance to make history."

Egypt enter the game with fitness concerns swirling around talismanic former Liverpool Mohamed Salah, who is nursing a hamstring problem.

Coach Hossam Hassan said Salah would not be risked unless "I am 100 percent sure he is fit and raring to go."

In Friday's other game, Ghana, like Egypt, are hoping to buck what has been a disappointing start to the knockout rounds for African teams when they face Colombia in Kansas City.

So far, five of the nine African teams in the last 32 have been eliminated, with South Africa, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo and Algeria all heading for the exit. Only Morocco have made it through to the last 16.

Ghana coach Carlos Queiroz said he hopes to buck that trend against a dangerous Colombian team.

"We have to make it better," Queiroz said of the African exodus. "So it is on our shoulders to be sure that we add another African team to the next round. That's our duty."

Algeria were eliminated in a 2-0 loss to Switzerland on Thursday as Portugal and Spain advanced to the last 16.

Portugal defeated Croatia 2-1 in a drama-filled game in Toronto, while Spain swatted aside Austria 3-0 to extend their incredible unbeaten streak to 35 matches.



‘This Is Probably My Last Year in Football,’ Says Cristiano Ronaldo

Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
TT

‘This Is Probably My Last Year in Football,’ Says Cristiano Ronaldo

Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)
Portugal's forward #07 Cristiano Ronaldo reacts after losing the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Portugal and Spain at the Dallas Stadium in Arlington on July 6, 2026. (AFP)

Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career.

The 41-year-old superstar’s contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

The Portugal forward, who has scored 976 career goals, married long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez, earlier this month.

“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.

“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

The 2026-27 SPL season is Ronaldo’s 25th as a professional. During his career, he has won five Ballon d’Or awards and five UEFA Champions League titles.

Ronaldo’s 28 league goals last season helped Al-Nassr become champion of Saudi Arabia in May to secure his first trophy since arriving in Riyadh, and a first league title for the club since 2019.

After returning from his wedding, he missed Al-Nassr’s first game of its title defense on Saturday, watching from the sidelines as it opened with a 3-0 win over Al-Fateh.

“Cristiano is here today, and he is always present with us,” Al-Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou said after the game.

Ronaldo could play against Al-Diriyah in the King’s Cup on Tuesday.

“The most important thing now is recovery, especially as we have only two days after this match,” former Tottenham Hotspur and Nottingham Forest coach Postecoglou said.

Ronaldo’s comments came days after long-time rival Lionel Messi revealed that, following his father’s death, he may soon retire.

“I don’t know how to carry on,” Messi, 39, said. “I used to just play football, and now I’m really not sure if I’ll carry on doing it for much longer.”


Colombia Defender Jhon Lucumí Moves to Juventus After Impressing at World Cup

Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
TT

Colombia Defender Jhon Lucumí Moves to Juventus After Impressing at World Cup

Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)
Colombia's Jhon Lucumí, left, and Switzerland's Remo Freuler battle for the ball during the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Switzerland and Colombia in Vancouver, British Columbia, July 7, 2026. (AP)

Colombia defender Jhon Lucumí signed for Juventus on Monday for 19.5 million euros ($22.6 million) after impressing at the World Cup.

Juventus said the 28-year-old center-back had signed a four-year contract and the fee paid to Serie A rival Bologna could rise above 22 million euros ($25.5 million) with performance bonuses.

Lucumí played almost every minute of Colombia’s five games at the World Cup, where the team conceded just one goal, in an opening 3-1 win over Uzbekistan.

Colombia lost in the round of 16 to Switzerland in a penalty shootout, after a 0-0 draw where Lucumí’s header struck the bar in extra time. He was substituted ahead of the shootout.

Lucumí played four years at Bologna, including in the Champions League two seasons ago, having first arrived in Europe to join Genk in Belgium.

Juventus plays in the Europa League this season after a sixth-place finish in Serie A.


Premier League Is Back and Uncertainty Pervades Start of Post-Guardiola Era

Football - Premier League - Crystal Palace v Arsenal - Selhurst Park, London, Britain - May 24, 2026 Arsenal's Martin Odegaard lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Premier League. (Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Crystal Palace v Arsenal - Selhurst Park, London, Britain - May 24, 2026 Arsenal's Martin Odegaard lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Premier League. (Reuters)
TT

Premier League Is Back and Uncertainty Pervades Start of Post-Guardiola Era

Football - Premier League - Crystal Palace v Arsenal - Selhurst Park, London, Britain - May 24, 2026 Arsenal's Martin Odegaard lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Premier League. (Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Crystal Palace v Arsenal - Selhurst Park, London, Britain - May 24, 2026 Arsenal's Martin Odegaard lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Premier League. (Reuters)

The post-Pep Guardiola era is getting underway in English football amid uncertainty and upheaval — not just at Manchester City but across the whole of the Premier League.

Get this: Heading into the new top-flight season beginning Friday, nine clubs have new permanent managers — an unprecedented number at the start of an English top-flight campaign. At age 33, Fabian Hürzeler is the fifth longest-serving coach in the Premier League ... and he has been at Brighton for just two years.

The biggest vacuum needing to be filled is at City, following the departure of Guardiola after 10 record-breaking years in charge. Good luck following that, Enzo Maresca, especially after the team's lamentable performance in the Community Shield loss to Arsenal on Sunday.

Among the other top clubs with new coaches are Liverpool (Andoni Iraola), Chelsea (Xabi Alonso) and Newcastle (Matthias Jaissle) — all of which competed in the Champions League last season.

It makes Roberto De Zerbi — appointed by Tottenham on March 31 to escape relegation — and Michael Carrick — installed as interim manager at Manchester United for the second half of last season before impressing and getting the permanent job — seem like veritable veterans.

It also makes Arsenal, the reigning champion, appear a haven of stability as Mikel Arteta goes into his seventh full season at the helm as by far the league’s longest-serving manager.

Yet, there’s a big question mark hanging over the Gunners, too: Will there be a hangover after winning the league for the first time in 22 years?

We’re about to find out, though Arsenal's display in the Community Shield provided early encouragement for its fans.

The non-stop roller coaster that is the Premier League begins in earnest Friday night when Arsenal hosts promoted Coventry, which has a compelling backstory of its own after being out of the big time for 25 years.

Here are some other storylines providing a backdrop to the new season:

Manchester City's Norwegian striker #09 Erling Haaland (L), Manchester City's English midfielder #47 Phil Foden (C) and Manchester City's English midfielder #05 Elliot Anderson (R) look on from their seats after being substituted during the English FA Community Shield football match between Arsenal and Manchester City at The Principality Stadium, in Cardiff, south Wales on August 16, 2026. (AFP)

Is Premier League lacking superstars?

Cristiano Ronaldo left town in 2022. Harry Kane moved away in 2023. Kevin De Bruyne departed in 2025. Mohamed Salah quit for Türkiye this offseason. Rodri looks set to leave these shores for Barcelona, too.

It begs the question: Is the biggest league in the world lacking the biggest players in the world?

OK, City still has prolific striker Erling Haaland, whose brand has never been higher after wowing American fans during the World Cup.

But football superstars like Kylian Mbappé, Ousmane Dembélé, Vinícius Júnior, Lamine Yamal and even England's own two top players in Kane and Jude Bellingham play in other countries. All-time greats of this century — think Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho, Zinedine Zidane — never played in England, either.

The big blockbuster deal of the offseason could have been Vinícius joining Arsenal, but he chose to stay at Real Madrid.

The Premier League has recently prided itself in having the world's top coaches, yet Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp are no longer around.

The competition might have to settle, then, for having the greatest strength in depth, with the middle-level clubs having arguably never been better owing to the league's huge broadcasting deals.

Arsenal starts as title favorite

Amid so much turbulence among its rivals, Arsenal has a great opportunity to retain the title.

Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes has joined from Newcastle to bolster an already-strong midfield, left winger Christos Tzolis signed from Club Brugge to replace the departed Leandro Trossard, and there is strength in depth in every position.

Counting against Arsenal, however, is an injury to defensive mainstay William Saliba that will rule out the France center-back for the first few months.

Also, there's an intangible: Will there be a drop-off in intensity or motivation after finally winning the league?

Arteta is determined that won't be the case.

New faces — and some old ones — are back

Welcome back, Marcus Rashford. The England winger has rejoined Manchester United after a loan spell at Barcelona. Whether he wants to be at Old Trafford remains to be seen.

Hello, again, to Frank Lampard, a Premier League great for Chelsea who is now manager of Coventry.

Coventry, a founding member of the Premier League, was relegated in 2001 and plunged into such financial chaos that the club lost its home and went on to drop into the fourth tier.

The Sky Blues' rise is one of English football's feel-good stories and they are back as one of three promoted teams, along with Ipswich and Hull.

Football - Pre-Season Friendly - Fulham v VfB Stuttgart - Craven Cottage, London, Britain - August 15, 2026 Fulham manager Alvaro Arbeloa before the match. (Reuters)

$3 billion and counting: England still the big spenders

England is in a league of its own when it comes to spending power and Premier League clubs' outlay on new players in this transfer window is approaching $3 billion already.

The biggest signings so far have all been midfielders: Morgan Rogers to Chelsea for $156 million; Elliot Anderson to Man City for $155 million; Sandro Tonali to Tottenham for $133 million; and Guimaraes to Arsenal for $100 million.

Chelsea's net spend is almost $300 million as Alonso reshapes the squad. Tottenham has spent around $300 million on new players alone in a reversal in policy following back-to-back 17th-place finishes.

The window is open for two more weeks, as transfer activity cranks up after the World Cup.

Will Premier League still be set-piece heavy?

A significant change in English football last season was a reversion to old-school tactics such as long throws into the area, a reliance on set pieces and long clearances by goalkeepers, in a perceived snub to the Guardiola-influenced style of play where possession of the ball was king.

With Guardiola now out of the picture, will this trend increase further? Marco Rose at Bournemouth, Pierre Sage at Crystal Palace, Alvaro Arbeloa at Fulham and Alonso at Chelsea are all coaching in the Premier League for the first time. Will this wave of new managers establish another different approach?

Watch this season.