In the West Bank, Israeli Settlers Take Over Palestinian’s Dream Home

 An Israeli settler sits on the roof of the Palestinian Salameh family house, which was taken over by Israeli settlers in the village of Jalud in the Israeli-occupied West Bank July 2, 2026. (Reuters)
An Israeli settler sits on the roof of the Palestinian Salameh family house, which was taken over by Israeli settlers in the village of Jalud in the Israeli-occupied West Bank July 2, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

In the West Bank, Israeli Settlers Take Over Palestinian’s Dream Home

 An Israeli settler sits on the roof of the Palestinian Salameh family house, which was taken over by Israeli settlers in the village of Jalud in the Israeli-occupied West Bank July 2, 2026. (Reuters)
An Israeli settler sits on the roof of the Palestinian Salameh family house, which was taken over by Israeli settlers in the village of Jalud in the Israeli-occupied West Bank July 2, 2026. (Reuters)

Palestinian Mohammad Salameh was building a home for his family in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, where his recently engaged son was meant to start married life. Instead, before construction was complete, a group of Israeli settlers seized the property.

Video filmed earlier in the week and verified by Reuters showed at least six settlers moving around on the roof of the two-storey house, which sits below a nearby hill.

Salameh said appeals to the Israeli military and police brought no help.

Now he fears his home, which like many others in the Palestinian territory is surrounded by Israeli settlements and smaller outposts, is lost forever.

Other houses in the area could suffer the same fate, ‌he said.

"Only God ‌knows, if there is law and order then they will leave," Salameh ‌said. "If ⁠they succeeded with ⁠taking one, then the rest will follow."

Reuters was unable to reach the settlers for comment. One of them could be seen walking on the house's roof on Thursday.

The Israeli military said it was checking Reuters' request for comment, but had not responded by Friday. The Israeli police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Jewish settlement of Shilo in the Israeli-occupied West Bank as seen from the Palestinian village of Jalud July 2, 2026. (Reuters)

SETTLEMENTS, SETTLER ATTACKS WIDEN UNDER NETANYAHU GOVERNMENT

The seizure of Palestinian land by settlers is a longstanding feature of life in the West Bank, where about 500,000 ⁠Israelis live among roughly 3 million Palestinians.

Palestinians have for years reported damage ‌to farmland, vandalism and attacks linked to settlement expansion.

A ‌UN inquiry reported last month that Israeli settler attacks on Palestinian villages and agricultural land had surged since 2023, ‌rising by 130%.

Residents of Jalud, Salameh's village, say this week's incident marks another troubling escalation ‌because the settlers seized a house that was still under construction.

"They have now moved down to within no more than 100 meters from the last house in Jalud, which is also a house under construction belonging to a resident," said Raed al-Haj Mohammad, head of the village council.

Jalud has faced five major settler ‌attacks, he said, including the burning of homes, damage to vehicles and the uprooting of trees.

Most countries and the United Nations regard Israeli ⁠settlements in the West Bank ⁠as illegal under international law, citing the Fourth Geneva Convention's prohibition on transferring a civilian population into occupied territory.

Israel rejects that position, saying the West Bank is disputed territory where there has been a Jewish presence for thousands of years.

Palestinians consider the West Bank, together with Gaza and East Jerusalem, as part of a Palestinian state.

Settlement building and settler violence have long been among the biggest obstacles to peace efforts between Israel and the Palestinians.

Even Israel's staunchest allies, including the United States, have condemned settler actions.

Nevertheless, settlement expansion has accelerated under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, which relies on hardline pro-settlement parties to maintain its parliamentary majority.

For Salameh, the dispute is painfully personal.

Construction on the house stalled after the Gaza war erupted in 2023, when his son could not find work and the family's finances came under strain.

"The neighbor close by has built a two-story house, which they will probably take too, if we lose this house (his) they will lose theirs," he said.



Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.


King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
TT

King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

Jordan’s King Abdullah II will visit China from Tuesday for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Beijing announced on Monday.

The trip, at the invitation of Xi, will take place from August 18 to 24, Beijing's foreign ministry said in a statement.

The leaders will "exchange views on bilateral relations and international and regional issues of common concern,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said.

"China is willing to work with Jordan to take this visit as an opportunity to jointly enhance political mutual trust, expand mutually beneficial cooperation... and make positive contributions to regional peace, stability and development," he added.

During his visit to China -- his ninth since he took the throne in 1999 -- the Jordanian king will also visit Shanghai and Shenzhen.

King Abdullah II's visit to China will map out the next decade of strategic cooperation with Xi, according to Chinese Ambassador to Amman Guo Wei.

Guo told the Jordan News Agency (Petra) that the upcoming summit marks a key milestone as Jordan and China approach the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations next year.

Economic cooperation between Amman and Beijing expanded rapidly, according to the ambassador. China became Jordan’s top trading partner in 2025, with bilateral trade surging over 25 percent to exceed $6.7 billion. Jordan's exports to China jumped 80 percent in the first five months of this year alone, reaching nearly $300 million.

Chinese investments in Jordan now exceed $3 billion, supporting major sectors such as engineering, textiles, steel, ceramics, energy, logistics, and e-commerce, while employing thousands of Jordanians.

Beyond economic ties, cultural and educational exchanges continue to grow. Over 600 Jordanian students are currently learning Chinese across seven institutions, while around 500 Chinese students study in Jordan.

Chinese culture is also gaining strong traction across Jordan, with tea, culinary, and poetry events reaching local schools and communities.


Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
TT

Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plans to visit Syria soon, reviving a trip initially scheduled for April but postponed after the outbreak of the Iran war in February.

Erdogan pledged that Türkiye would do everything possible to bolster stability in its neighbor, stressing that Syria “will not be alone,” according to excerpts from a television interview carried by Turkish media on Sunday.

He predicted that Syrian Kurds would play a role in peace and stability and pledged to strengthen Türkiye’s ties with Kurdish communities across the region.

Erdogan also cited parliament’s approval of legislation on “Strengthening National Solidarity and Social Integration,” known as the “framework law,” allowing members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) to return and reintegrate into Turkish society as part of the “Terror-Free Türkiye” process.

The Kurdish side calls the initiative the “Peace and Democratic Society Process,” centered on the PKK’s dissolution and disarmament, along with affiliated groups.

SDF integration

Erdogan’s remarks coincided with comments attributed by the pro-government Türkiye newspaper to Mahmoud Berkhedan, a Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander in Ain al-Arab, or Kobani.

Berkhedan praised Erdogan and his ally, Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahceli, for their role in Türkiye’s new peace process.

According to Berkhedan, 99% of outstanding issues over military integration with Damascus have been resolved, with some 10,000 to 12,000 members of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), the main component of the SDF, integrated into the Syrian army.

He added that the YPG would be dissolved within days and the Autonomous Administration structure in northern and northeastern Syria would disappear.

“We have buried our weapons and are not demanding an independent state,” Berkhedan declared. “There is no turning back. We will participate side by side in building a new Syria within one army, one state, one flag and a shared homeland.”

Military integration is nearly complete, he added, though the status of the Women’s Protection Units (YPJ) and Turkish nationals serving in the Kurdish forces remains unresolved.

Syria trip

Turkish Ambassador to Damascus Nuh Yilmaz revealed Friday that Erdogan had been considering a visit around April 21, but the Iran war and closure of airspace prevented it.

The date had not been finalized before regional developments intervened, Yilmaz explained, but the trip remains planned and will be announced by the Turkish presidency once arrangements are complete.

He expects Erdogan to visit before the end of the year.

Erdogan last traveled to Damascus in January 2011, when he was Türkiye’s prime minister, about two months before the Syrian uprising and the subsequent rupture in diplomatic relations over Ankara’s opposition to the Assad government’s crackdown on protests.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa has made four visits to Türkiye since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024, while exchanges between senior officials have increased and political, economic, security and defense ties have deepened.

Yilmaz noted that four strategic security threats along Türkiye’s border — human smuggling, drug trafficking, irregular migration and terrorism — had disappeared since the collapse of the regime.

Trade between the two countries has also risen 40% to $3.75 billion, with a medium-term target of $10 billion. Talks are continuing on a free-trade agreement, joint industrial zones and opening all crossings along the more than 900-kilometer border.

Türkiye’s foreign and interior ministries are also working on new visa arrangements to make it easier for Syrians who have returned home to visit Türkiye, according to Yilmaz.