Ukraine Backers to Vow Major Support at NATO Summit

A rescue worker stands in a residential building damaged following a Russian air attack on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on July 3, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
A rescue worker stands in a residential building damaged following a Russian air attack on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on July 3, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
TT

Ukraine Backers to Vow Major Support at NATO Summit

A rescue worker stands in a residential building damaged following a Russian air attack on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on July 3, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)
A rescue worker stands in a residential building damaged following a Russian air attack on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on July 3, 2026, amid the Russian invasion in Ukraine. (AFP)

NATO's European members and Canada will pledge to give Ukraine 70 billion euros ($80 billion) in military aid both this year and next at the alliance's summit in Ankara next week, diplomats said Friday.

The vow -- to be contained in a final summit declaration -- includes 30 billion euros each year from an EU loan and funds already committed by individual countries, diplomats said.

The largely symbolic move is aimed at showing US President Donald Trump that allies have fully taken over the financing of Ukraine's fight against Russia as he has stopped Washington's support.

And it is meant to demonstrate to Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky -- who will attend the summit -- that backing remains steadfast as his country appears to be turning the tide in the war.

Diplomats say that the financing from the European Union loan and the pledges they have made already mean they are on course to reach the 70 billion euros in each year.

Germany -- now the largest backer of Ukraine -- had pushed to have the commitment put in writing as it seeks to drive other European countries to do more.

Officials said that there was some pushback from Italy over putting the pledge in black and white, but that it was eventually approved Friday by ambassadors at NATO.

Zelensky is to attend a dinner of NATO leaders on Tuesday but will not be part of the main summit the day after as the alliance keeps him on the sidelines.

Officials do not want to make Ukraine too prominent an issue for fear of upsetting Trump as his efforts to end the war have hit a wall.

But the US leader appeared to signal he could be warming to Ukraine at a G7 meeting last month and other leaders may seek to build on any perceived momentum.

- Iran statement -

The declaration -- much like the summit itself -- has been kept short to minimize the chances of a bust-up with Trump.

The NATO gathering in Türkiye comes after the US leader lashed out at European countries over their response to his war on Iran.

Diplomats said the declaration will state that Iran should never have a nuclear weapon and call on Tehran to "respect freedom of navigation" in the Strait of Hormuz.

A number of European countries have moved naval assets close to the strait to help keep it open once conditions allow.

But there will be no mention of a potential European or NATO mission in the statement as the situation remains volatile despite a fragile ceasefire deal.

Allies will be hoping to use the summit to convince Trump that they are making good on a pledge made last year to boost defense-related spending to five percent of GDP by 2035.

Diplomats said the declaration will call for a "stronger Europe in a stronger NATO" as Washington presses its allies to take responsibility for their own defenses.

Trump signaled on Thursday that he was still upset at the pace of Europe's spending -- saying it was "ridiculous" for the United States to continue its "one sided" relationship to NATO.



Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon on Monday for Tomahawk missiles amid reports of a shortfall due to the war with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the contract will "accelerate Tomahawk missile delivery to our warfighters at unprecedented speed."

"Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount," Cao said in a statement. "The Department is utilizing every available tool to meet the demands of our current operations."

An analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank released last month found that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles have been slashed by the conflict with Iran.

Before it began in late February, the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors -- figures that CSIS estimated have been roughly halved or more in the subsequent months of war.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a recent cabinet meeting.

Trump and Hegseth both later denied that the United States was faced with dwindling missile stocks.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles).


UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
TT

UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)

The number of aid workers killed worldwide in 2025 reached 350, with the most fatalities in Gaza and Sudan, the United Nations said Monday, calling attacks on humanitarians "unacceptable."

The death toll, however, was slightly lower than that of 2024, when 377 aid workers were killed.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited the figures from the research and advisory group Humanitarian Outcomes in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day.

Some 186 humanitarians were killed in Gaza -- the deadliest place for aid workers for the third year running -- followed by Sudan with 71 killed.

"More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable," Tom Fletcher, under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said in the statement.

"But just calling it out will not protect the next aid worker. States must uphold international humanitarian law and use every tool to protect civilians and our colleagues," he said. "And for those who break the rules, there must be real consequences."

Since the start of 2026, 82 more aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide.

OCHA voiced particular concern over the proliferation of armed drones "that are putting lethal power into ever more hands and sending more explosive weapons into towns and cities."

In Sudan, armed drones caused 80 percent of civilian deaths in the first four months of 2026, hitting markets and health facilities, the statement said, also noting casualties from drone attacks in the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Weaponized drones have become the new face of an old danger: the deliberate or reckless destruction of civilian life," Fletcher said.


Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
TT

Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone posing as Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, several media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Politico, which broke the story quoting anonymous sources, the British leader sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be Wiles before becoming suspicious.

The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.

Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

"We do not comment on national security matters," a spokesperson for Burnham's Downing Street office said, without denying the exchanges.

Burnham is not the first prominent British politician to fall victim to this type of hoax.

In 2024, the British government released a video of a phone call in which the then foreign minister David Cameron was duped by someone posing as former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

The Foreign Office explained at the time that it had disclosed the incident to preempt any attempt by the perpetrators to manipulate the footage.