Belgian Federation to Challenge FIFA Decision to Let Balogun Play in World Cup Match

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 32 - United States v Bosnia and Herzegovina - San Francisco Bay Area Stadium, Santa Clara, California, US - July 1, 2026 Folarin Balogun of the US is shown a red card by referee Raphael Claus. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 32 - United States v Bosnia and Herzegovina - San Francisco Bay Area Stadium, Santa Clara, California, US - July 1, 2026 Folarin Balogun of the US is shown a red card by referee Raphael Claus. (Reuters)
TT

Belgian Federation to Challenge FIFA Decision to Let Balogun Play in World Cup Match

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 32 - United States v Bosnia and Herzegovina - San Francisco Bay Area Stadium, Santa Clara, California, US - July 1, 2026 Folarin Balogun of the US is shown a red card by referee Raphael Claus. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 32 - United States v Bosnia and Herzegovina - San Francisco Bay Area Stadium, Santa Clara, California, US - July 1, 2026 Folarin Balogun of the US is shown a red card by referee Raphael Claus. (Reuters)

The Belgian soccer federation wants an explanation from FIFA about a decision to let US forward Folarin Balogun play at the World Cup despite getting a red card in his previous game.

Belgium takes on the United States later Monday for a spot in the quarterfinals.

The Belgian federation (RBFA) said it has still not received either “FIFA’s decision or any explanation regarding this matter. In these circumstances, it has no choice but to challenge the player’s eligibility for the upcoming match.”

It did not specify where it intends to appeal FIFA’s decision.

US President Donald Trump intervened on behalf of Balogun, whose red-card suspension was lifted in a decision that allowed him to play against Belgium.

The Belgian federation said it learned through media reports about the FIFA's move and sent a letter to the governing body requesting a copy of the decision as well as an explanation of the process.

“As its only response, FIFA sent a letter to the RBFA stating that it considered this correspondence to constitute an appeal, that a judge had been appointed, and that the RBFA had only a few hours to complete that appeal,” it said. “No information whatsoever was provided by FIFA.

The RBFA insisted that FIFA’s regulations state that the reasoned decision must first have been communicated to the appellant.

“While the RBFA was merely seeking legitimate explanations, FIFA itself created an appeal and immediately ensured that it would be declared inadmissible,” it said. “All of this occurred while FIFA simultaneously refused to respond to the RBFA’s legitimate requests.”

Balogun, the star forward for the US with three goals in the tournament, received a red card for stepping awkwardly on the right ankle of Tarik Muharemović of Bosnia-Herzegovina in a 2-0 round of 32 win on Wednesday, triggering an automatic one-game suspension.

FIFA announced Sunday that the suspension had been lifted for the round of 16 match, an extraordinary move that triggered praise from Trump and outrage from Belgium’s team. It appeared to be the first time since 1962 that a red card during a World Cup didn’t result in a suspension.

“Regardless of the sporting outcome of this match, the RBFA is deeply concerned by the course of events and will continue to fight in the coming hours, days and months in defense of the fundamental principles of ethics, fair competition, and the interests of football as a whole,” the Belgian federation added.

The FIFA decision drew criticism from the European Commission, the powerful executive arm of the European Union, which is based in Brussels.

Glenn Micallef, the European Union’s commissioner for sport, said that decisions “on sporting rules and sporting matters belong to sporting bodies, not politicians.”

“Influencing sporting decisions would undermine the autonomy of sport,” he wrote in a message on X. “Our focus should instead be on the real governance challenges facing sport, including the weaponization of sport for political purposes.”



US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
TT

US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo

The US Open will hand out $108 million in prize money at this year's final Grand Slam, it said on Thursday, marking the largest purse in tennis history and a 20% jump from last year's total payout.

The men's and women's singles champions ⁠at the August ⁠23 to September 13 major in New York will earn $5.5 million each, which marks a 10% increase from last year ⁠and is the largest Grand Slam payment in history for a main draw singles champion.

The compensation package also includes what tournament organizers said is a Grand Slam record for first-round payouts, which this year will increase 27% ⁠to $140,000, Reuters reported.

The ⁠payout structure was revealed shortly after the sport's four biggest tournaments announced the creation of a Grand Slam Player Council that is intended to give players a voice on a range of issues like prize money.


Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
TT

Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Tennis's four biggest tournaments announced on Thursday the creation of a Grand Slam Player Advisory Council that will focus on a range of issues including prize money.

The Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open said in a joint press release that the council will be launched following the year's final Grand Slam, which starts later this month in New York.

The tournaments are currently shaping the composition of the council and operating structure with player input.

Interested players will be able to apply for positions on the council where they can address a full range of Grand Slam sporting matters, including the desire for a greater share ⁠of revenue from ⁠the four blue-riband events.

"Having a seat at the table with the Grand Slams is something we have wanted for some time, so I’m really pleased to see this council come together," Reuters quoted world number six Ben Shelton as saying in a press release.

"It gives us, as players, a real opportunity to have a voice, contribute to the conversation ⁠and help shape the tournaments beyond what happens on the court."

At this year's French Open, women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka said players would boycott the event if their prize money at the clay-court Grand Slam was not increased. American Coco Gauff also voiced her support for the drastic step.

The four blue-riband events said the goal of the council will be to further strengthen the partnership between the Grand Slams and the players, with a focus on player input into sporting matters at the tournaments.

Sporting matters that affect the ⁠Grand Slam ⁠tournaments collectively will be addressed through the council on a joint basis.

The council will also provide a regular forum for players to discuss issues like player welfare and compensation with each Grand Slam individually because of the distinct structure, economics, governance and decision-making process of each tournament.

"We have listened to the players’ desire for a greater voice and this advisory council is an important step towards a stronger relationship between the Grand Slams and the players," said Deborah Jevans, chair of the All England Club.

"We look forward to working together to elevate the player experience, further enhance the Grand Slam tournaments and ensure the sport continues to thrive."


Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
TT

Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz

Brazil will stage the opening game and final of the 2027 Women's World Cup at Rio de Janeiro's Maracana Stadium, according to the match schedule unveiled on Thursday for the 32-team tournament.

The hosts kick off the event on June 24 in a fitting opening to the first Women's World Cup held in South America, with the Maracana -- one of the game's most famous venues and the site of Brazil's heartbreak defeat by Uruguay in the 1950 men's World Cup decider -- also hosting the July 25 final.

FIFA confirmed that all eight host cities will stage at least seven matches and a minimum of one knockout game.

Brasilia, Porto Alegre, Recife and Salvador will stage matches through to the last 16, while Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo will hold the quarter-finals.

Sao Paulo and Rio will host the semi-finals.

"I already have goosebumps thinking about the incredible passion, colour and energy that Brazilian fans will bring to the tournament as they welcome the world to eight vibrant host cities," FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.

The Maracana will become only the third stadium to host both a men's and women's World Cup final, following Stockholm's Rasunda Stadium and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

"Each host city will add its own unique flavour, making this a colourful, joyful and unforgettable celebration," former Brazil captain Aline Pellegrino said.

"The world's best players will feel that energy from the stands and they will give it back on the pitch through moments and performances that will inspire girls and boys around the world."

The final schedule will be published later this year.