French Court Clears Marine Le Pen to Run for President, with Ankle Tag

Tuesday's verdict will be pivotal for French far-right chief Marine Le Pen's political career. Alain JOCARD / AFP/File
Tuesday's verdict will be pivotal for French far-right chief Marine Le Pen's political career. Alain JOCARD / AFP/File
TT

French Court Clears Marine Le Pen to Run for President, with Ankle Tag

Tuesday's verdict will be pivotal for French far-right chief Marine Le Pen's political career. Alain JOCARD / AFP/File
Tuesday's verdict will be pivotal for French far-right chief Marine Le Pen's political career. Alain JOCARD / AFP/File

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen was cleared on Tuesday to run for president in 2027 by an appeals court that shortened her sentence for misusing EU funds but ordered her to wear an electronic tag for a year. 

Le Pen's presidential hopes had been in limbo since March 2025, when she received a five-year electoral ban for using money from the European Parliament to pay wages for staff at her anti-immigrant National Rally (RN) party in France. 

That party leads opinion polls for April's election. But Le Pen, who has three times failed to win the presidency for the far-right in 15 years at the helm, must now decide whether to gamble that voters can overlook a custody regime that ‌will require her to ‌return home each night for most of the campaign. 

The court upheld Le Pen's ‌conviction ⁠for embezzling European Parliament ⁠funds but chose to substantially shorten what had been a five-year ban on running for public office. 

It also shortened the 57-year-old's jail term to two years suspended and one, rather than two, with an electronic tag that confines her to her home at night. 

WILL MARINE LE PEN CAMPAIGN WITH AN ELECTRONIC ANKLE TAG? 

It is now up to Le Pen to say whether she will pursue her long-held goal of becoming modern France's first far-right president or hand the baton to her 30-year-old protégé, Jordan Bardella. 

She is due to give a prime-time TV interview on TF1 at 8 p.m. (1800 GMT), in which she may make an announcement on ⁠her political future. 

She previously said she would not run for the presidency while under electronic ‌monitoring because it would interfere with campaigning and undermine her credibility. 

As she left ‌the courtroom, Le Pen was smiling but did not say a word. She left immediately for RN headquarters. 

Tuesday's judgment makes Le ‌Pen ineligible to hold public office for 45 months rather than 60, with 30 suspended. As the ban has been ‌running since last year's ruling, the required 15-month ban has already been served. 

The court said that, although it had confirmed Le Pen's guilt, it had also taken into account "the voter's freedom of choice, a prerequisite for the expression of democratic suffrage". 

Whether Le Pen should run despite the tag is likely to trigger intense debate within the RN, which has spent months preparing for two possible futures: one led by ‌Le Pen and another by Bardella. 

A sentencing judge will set out the hours when Le Pen can be away from her home and what time she must return at ⁠night. Restrictions on weekends are ⁠usually tighter. But Le Pen could ask for the tag to be removed after a few months for good behavior. 

FAR-RIGHT LOOKING STRONG IN SURVEYS 

Legal experts said the tag's restrictions would complicate a nationwide campaign, but probably not make it impossible. 

Polls have consistently shown both RN figures as strong contenders to reach a presidential runoff. 

Some recent surveys have even suggested Bardella would outperform Le Pen in the first round, although there are doubts within the party whether the rising star has enough experience to see him through what is likely to be a bruising campaign. 

Greens leader Marine Tondelier said that "in a normal world where the RN had even the slightest shred of morality, [Le Pen] would give up ... because you can't decently stand for election after being convicted of misappropriating public funds." 

Le Pen's conviction stems from charges that RN figures misused funds intended for assistants in the European Parliament. In 2025, the judges found she had played a central role in the scheme, a finding she disputed. 

That verdict sparked condemnation from Le Pen's allies in France and abroad, who accused the judiciary of influencing democratic competition. Her opponents argued that elected officials must be held to the same standards as anyone else. 



Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accusing him of "genocide" linked to Israel's interception of an aid flotilla for Gaza, the justice minister announced Friday.

Türkiye has become a virulent critic of Israel's war in Gaza, sparked by the Hamas October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has frequently accused Netanyahu of "genocide".

Israel's interception of the flotilla carrying some 430 activists in May sparked an international outcry. France, Italy and Australia have also launched judicial proceedings.

Türkiye's Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said on X that his ministry had asked the interior ministry to issue interpol red notice alerts for Netanyahu and another Israeli, named as Afek Moskovitch.

"As part of the judicial proceedings concerning the attack in international waters on the Flotilla activists (...) and in accordance with the arrest warrants issued on July 14, 2026, against Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch for 'genocide,' the ministry of justice has requested that the ministry of the interior issue red notices for their international arrest," the minister stated.

Netanyahu and Moskovitch are being prosecuted for "crimes against humanity, genocide, aggravated deprivation of liberty, 'intentional assault and battery,' torture, destruction of property, aggravated looting, and hijacking of transport vehicles," the ministry said.

About 50 vessels were in the Global Sumud Flotilla that left Türkiye in May heading for the besieged Palestinian territory. The activists were detained in the Mediterranean by the Israeli military and then taken to an Israeli prison before being expelled.

Israel's far right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir caused his own outcry by releasing a video showing himself taunting some of flotilla activists who were on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs.


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press


Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Iran said on Friday that its response to any new US threats would be "devastating" after Washington pledged to impose the toughest financial penalties in history with the aim of toppling the Iranian leadership.

Washington prepared for sanctions that US Treasury chief Scott Bessent said he would detail on Monday. President Donald Trump earlier warned of economic consequences against any country that provided "any type of lifeline to Iran."

The chief of staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said the Islamic Republic's reaction would be broad and decisive.

"With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defense and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Abdollahi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

The US and Iran have twice announced ceasefire deals, in April and June, aiming to restore the free flow of ships through Hormuz on a path towards ending the nearly six-month-old conflict, but both quickly crumbled.

Bessent told CNBC he would "talk about exactly what we're going to do" on Iran at a press conference on Monday.

"We are going to collapse this regime. It is time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision," he said, describing a naval blockade reimposed on Iran in July and the "toughest sanctions in history" as a "one-two punch".

Iran has weathered near-continuous economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Islamic Revolution of 1979, but its people are suffering high inflation, a weakening currency and energy shortages along with damaged infrastructure.

Some Iranians interviewed by Reuters have said more economic punishment could increase hardship, weaken the clerical establishment and prompt unrest, although there has been no sign of that since a deadly crackdown on protests in January.

Before Bessent spoke, Iran's foreign ministry said US sanctions would not "create even the slightest hesitation in Iranians’ determination to safeguard Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty."