It’s England Against Norway in the World Cup Quarterfinals, With All Eyes on Erling Haaland

Norway's forward #09 Erling Braut Haaland smiles after winning the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Brazil and Norway at the New York/New Jersey Stadium in East Rutherford on July 5, 2026. (AFP)
Norway's forward #09 Erling Braut Haaland smiles after winning the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Brazil and Norway at the New York/New Jersey Stadium in East Rutherford on July 5, 2026. (AFP)
TT

It’s England Against Norway in the World Cup Quarterfinals, With All Eyes on Erling Haaland

Norway's forward #09 Erling Braut Haaland smiles after winning the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Brazil and Norway at the New York/New Jersey Stadium in East Rutherford on July 5, 2026. (AFP)
Norway's forward #09 Erling Braut Haaland smiles after winning the 2026 World Cup round of 16 football match between Brazil and Norway at the New York/New Jersey Stadium in East Rutherford on July 5, 2026. (AFP)

Everyone knows that England's master plan coming into the World Cup quarterfinals on Saturday will revolve around stopping Norway striker Erling Haaland.

As they would say in Norway, “Lykke til.” Translated: Good luck.

“Has anyone ever stopped Erling Haaland?” England midfielder Morgan Rogers asked, probably only somewhat rhetorically. “I’m not sure they have, but we’re going to try. You’re going to have to try.”

Stopping Haaland — who has seven goals in this year's World Cup, one behind France's Kylian Mbappé and Argentina's Lionel Messi for the most at the tournament — will be the primary subplot of the Norway-England match at Hard Rock Stadium.

Among the others: Haaland versus England’s Harry Kane in a striker showdown, a Norway team with no pressure versus an England team with enormous expectations, even British Airways versus Norwegian Air in a social media chirping battle. At stake for the teams is a berth in Wednesday's semifinals, with the winner to face either Argentina or Switzerland.

“I think it's Norway vs. England,” Norway coach Stale Solbakken said Friday, after his team went through its final walk-through before perhaps the biggest match in the nation's soccer history. “But I don't think it's a secret that Kane is match-leader No. 1 for England and Haaland is match-leader No. 1 for us.”

Indeed, there are two elite strikers in this game — not just one. England coach Thomas Tuchel raved about Kane on Friday, and rightly so. Kane has six goals so far in this year's World Cup.

“He's in the shape of his life and in the highest peak of his career,” Tuchel said.

When Haaland — who stands nearly 6-foot-5 — gets the ball in his preferred spots, opponents realize that stopping him is almost out of the question. He's too big, too strong, too skilled, and the ball is almost certainly going to find its way into the back of the net.

England's Nico O'Reilly — Haaland's teammate at Manchester City — has seen it happen time and again. And if there is a solution to the Haaland problem, O'Reilly might have the closest possible thing to an answer.

His plan: Don't let the ball get to him.

“We all know what he’s like,” O'Reilly said. “He can score goals, he's dangerous in the box, he’s a real threat. They need to get him the ball there first.”

Haaland — who didn't play for Norway in its loss to France in the group stage — has gotten his goals in bunches in this tournament. Against Iraq, his two goals came 14 minutes apart. Against Senegal, his two goals were 10 minutes apart. Against Brazil, his two goals were 11 minutes apart.

He was born in England; his father was playing for Leeds at that time. And Haaland certainly sees the significance.

“It’s a special game, definitely,” Haaland said. “I think, for me, it’s super special because I play in England and I’m born in England and I'll be playing against (Manchester City) teammates and everything.”

It's not just Haaland in that friends-turned-foes spot. There are nine players for Norway who play for clubs in England, so there will obviously be familiarity between the sides on Saturday.

“Everything is on the line,” O'Reilly said. “Everything is at stake.”

The teams got to Saturday's match in dramatic fashions, with Norway holding off perennial power and five-time World Cup champion Brazil 2-1 and England going into Mexico City and stunning previously unbeaten — and unscored-upon — co-host Mexico 3-2.

Both sides have acknowledged that coming down from the high of such wins took a little extra time.

“We discussed that we need to put the drama and the emotions of the Mexico game behind us,” England forward Bukayo Saka said. “Now we need to focus on Norway, which is going to be another tough challenge, a different challenge, and we’re fully focused.”

They might be close to fully loaded, too.

Declan Rice, Marc Guehi and Reece James, all sidelined in recent days, trained Friday and Tuchel said he anticipates having a “full choice” awaiting him when the lineup for Saturday gets decided.

England will be without defender Jarell Quansah as he begins serving his two-match suspension that was handed down after he got red-carded against Mexico in the round of 16.

Rice, Guehi and James all went through training Friday at Inter Miami's facility, with team co-owner David Beckham — a former England great — watching.

“I think there’s some clear favorites out there. England’s one of them,” Haaland said. “So, I think all of you should put every single (bit of) pressure on the English lads.”

Haaland said that with a smile, and that's been the case all tournament long. He's enjoying this, on the field and off.

He's a walking, talking meme, someone who draws tons of attention for everything he does and says. When English great Wayne Rooney said he'd row (a nod to Norway's rowing tradition) down the River Mersey if Norway beat Brazil, those words got to Haaland — who, according to reports in British media, has reminded Rooney that he's got some rowing to do.

All eyes will be on Haaland. England will have to figure out a way to solve him, or else its World Cup run will end in Miami.

“I think it’s the biggest challenge,” Rogers said, “but it’s a challenge that excites this group.”



Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
TT

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the US Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title.

Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati that serve as a warmup for the US Open.

The 25-year-old Italian wrote Friday that he won't be ready when the main draw begins on Aug. 30.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner wrote in a post on X.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

Sinner was the 2024 US Open champion and lost to Carlos Alcaraz in last year's final.

Alcaraz posted on social media on Thursday that he would be ready to play in New York after he has been out of action since April because of a right wrist injury.

The rivalry between those two has dominated men's tennis in recent years, and they met in the last three Grand Slam finals in 2025. Alcaraz took the most recent one with his four-set victory in New York.

That ended Sinner's title reign after he beat Taylor Fritz in straight sets in the 2024 final.

Sinner is 44-3 with six titles this year. He had a stunning collapse at the French Open, blowing a two-set lead while struggling in the heat in his second-round match against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. He then sat out until Wimbledon, where his victory gave him five Grand Slam titles.

It will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the US Open in 2019.


Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Manchester City boss Enzo Maresca has suffered a blow on the eve of the Premier League season after Belgium winger Jeremy Doku was ruled out for several weeks.

Doku will miss City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth with a calf injury and is unlikely to return for up to three weeks.

The 24-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of City's 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Community Shield in Cardiff last weekend, AFP reported.

Doku's absence is a significant setback for former Chelsea boss Maresca as he starts his first season in charge at City after replacing Pep Guardiola in the close-season.

"At the moment the only one out is Jeremy Doku," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"Unfortunately in the last game, at half-time, he was complaining about a little bit of pain in his calf.

"The idea with him was to play 45 minutes anyway, so the change was planned, but at the moment it looks like two or three weeks, no more than that."

After hosting Bournemouth, Maresca's side travel to Crystal Palace, then face Coventry before the derby at Manchester United.

 

 

 

 


Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday insisted his team's star players could fit together ahead of Los Blancos' opening La Liga game at Espanyol.

Mourinho's predecessors Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa struggled to strike a balance between attack and defense while lining up with Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

Madrid won the Champions League in 2024 with England international Bellingham and Brazilian winger Vinicius playing key roles, but since French superstar Mbappe arrived that summer, the club have not lifted a major trophy.

"They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players," Mourinho told reporters.

"Tactically, it could be tricky. Ancelotti has found a set-up with Brazil perfect for Vini, (Didier) Deschamps has found one with France perfect for Kylian, (Thomas) Tuchel one perfect for Jude, it's harder for Mourinho to do it for the three of them.

"We're on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch... they are three players of great quality.

"They don't play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them."

However, Madrid's stars can consider themselves warned -- they must contribute in defense this season.

"We have to defend with 11 players," said Mourinho.

"If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend."