Iran Halts Strikes as Trump Gives Space to Talks

An Iranian couple rides a motorbike next to Iranian missiles, Zolfaghar, on display at Azadi Square in Tehran, Iran, 24 July 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian couple rides a motorbike next to Iranian missiles, Zolfaghar, on display at Azadi Square in Tehran, Iran, 24 July 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran Halts Strikes as Trump Gives Space to Talks

An Iranian couple rides a motorbike next to Iranian missiles, Zolfaghar, on display at Azadi Square in Tehran, Iran, 24 July 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian couple rides a motorbike next to Iranian missiles, Zolfaghar, on display at Azadi Square in Tehran, Iran, 24 July 2026. (EPA)

Iran and the United States held their fire Monday, handing Gulf shipping and the oil industry a respite from missile strikes as Donald Trump's UN envoy said the president was "giving talks some space".

Tehran said it had halted retaliatory attacks against Washington's allies in the Middle East, and US ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz told "Fox News Sunday" that, while forces remained "locked and loaded", Trump would give negotiations "a little bit of room".

Fighting over the strategic Strait of Hormuz derailed diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran, triggering a US air campaign and Iranian reprisals that expanded the conflict to shipping lanes, Gulf countries and military bases across the region.

Prior to Friday, the US military had carried out strikes on Iran for 13 consecutive nights, in the largest rekindling of the almost five-month-old war since an April ceasefire. But Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights passed without bombing.

"Since... our strategy has essentially been retaliatory, we have also halted our retaliatory operations," said Iran's army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia.

Oil prices tumbled on Monday as investors breathed cautious sighs of relief at the pause in combat.

The price of a barrel of international benchmark North Sea Brent crude shed more than seven percent at one point early Monday to briefly drop back below $90, while US counterpart West Texas Intermediate was down four percent at $85.45 a barrel.

Unconfirmed Iranian media reports on Sunday said an oil tanker had been damaged by a sea mine.

- 'One way or the other' -

The lull has revived hopes of a return to negotiations, although American media reported the pause could also reflect pressure on US stockpiles of Patriot interceptors and other defensive weapons.

Trump insisted "we have far more munitions than anyone in the world, and far more than we need" in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

Waltz also dismissed the idea of a weapons shortage, in a second interview with NBC News' "Meet the Press".

"I want to be crystal clear. The US military -- and I've verified this every which way -- has everything that it needs to conduct this campaign as effectively as it needs to be," he insisted.

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due at the White House on Tuesday, and is expected to urge Trump to continue to take a tough line on Tehran, in particular on its nuclear program.

Iran has long insisted the program is for civilian purposes but the United States and its allies allege it is aimed at developing a weapon.

Also speaking to Fox News, Netanyahu said he fully backed Trump's efforts to shut down Iran's nuclear program.

"If he can do so without returning to intense military fighting, that's fine. Why not? But one way or the other, they have to end their nuclear program, and with a deal or without a deal, that has to come to an end," he said.

Plans to escalate the US campaign have been shelved in part because of shrinking munitions supplies, The New York Times reported, citing two people briefed on the matter.

- New front -

Trump also faces the risk of a wider Middle East war and further shocks to the global economy, the newspaper said.

Trump said on Friday he had not decided whether to return to an all-out operation.

"We're talking to them right now. I think they're getting more and more serious," he told journalists.

The war that Trump once predicted would last four or five weeks is now nearing its fifth month and weighing on the Republican's approval ratings ahead of crucial US midterm elections in November.

On Sunday, locals in Tehran carried on with a normal day, dealing with heavy traffic jams on their way to work, an AFP journalist said.

Shops and restaurants were open as usual as the city suffered a heatwave.



Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.


Only 40% of World’s Health Facilities Meet Basic Sanitation Standards, Says UN

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
TT

Only 40% of World’s Health Facilities Meet Basic Sanitation Standards, Says UN

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)
The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings. (AP file)

Only four in 10 healthcare facilities worldwide meet basic sanitation standards for accessible and usable toilets, the United Nations said Tuesday, while 11 percent have no sanitation services at all.

In a report, the UN's health and children's agencies said only 40 percent of healthcare facilities last year had toilets that adequately met the needs of patients and staff, including people with limited mobility.

The report from the World Health Organization and UNICEF for the first time provided global estimates of basic sanitation services in healthcare settings.

Its 2025 estimate found significant gaps in access to basic sanitation standards, which it said required usable facilities including at least one toilet dedicated to staff, at least one sex-separated toilet with menstrual hygiene facilities and at least one toilet accessible for people with limited mobility.

Relying on data from 70 countries, the report showed that sanitation levels in healthcare facilities varied widely between regions, with only 23 percent of facilities in sub-Saharan Africa providing basic services, compared to 55 percent in central and southern Asia.

It found there was no sanitation service at more than one in 10 health facilities globally, serving 936 million people.

In addition to sanitation, the report estimated access in healthcare facilities to water, hygiene, environmental cleaning and waste management.

It found that an estimated 85 percent of facilities last year had basic water services, 72 percent had basic hygiene services and 71 percent basic healthcare waste management services.

Only 59 percent of facilities meanwhile met basic so-called environmental cleaning standards, which require both cleaning protocols and trained cleaning staff and is core to infection prevention and control.

A full 18 percent of facilities, serving around 1.5 billion people, met neither of the environmental cleaning requirements, said the report, which for this category relied on data from 54 countries.

The situation is particularly dire in poorer countries.

The environmental cleaning standard was met by just 24 percent of facilities in the world's least-developed nations.


Russia Warns Britain of ‘Consequences’ for Supplying Drones to Ukraine

 An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Russia Warns Britain of ‘Consequences’ for Supplying Drones to Ukraine

 An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)
An FP-2 middle strike drone flies after being launched by Servicemen of the 20th Separate K-2 Unmanned Systems Brigade of the Unmanned Systems Forces, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv region, Ukraine August 16, 2026. (Reuters)

Russia warned ‌Britain on Tuesday it would face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine which are used to attack targets on Russian territory.

Russia's embassy in London was responding to a report in the Times newspaper on Saturday which said British-made drones had been used for long-range strikes against Russia for the first time.

"London's actions will ‌inevitably carry ‌consequences for which it will ‌have ⁠to answer," the ⁠embassy said in a statement posted on its Telegram channel.

"The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for Kyiv's terrorist machinery, the higher the price it will pay."

Ukraine ⁠has been using deep-strike drones ‌to hit oil refineries ‌and logistics facilities.

Britain's Ministry of Defense did ‌not confirm whether British drones had been ‌used.

In June, Britain said it would provide 150,000 drones to Ukraine by the end of 2026 as part of a £752 million ($996 million) ‌funding package.

Asked about the Russian embassy comments, a defense ministry spokesperson ⁠said: "Britain ⁠stands shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine and we are committed to providing the equipment Ukraine needs to defend itself against Putin's illegal invasion."

Since the start of Russia's war against Ukraine in 2022, Moscow has repeatedly warned Britain and other Western allies that their support for Kyiv, including the supply of equipment, could provoke retaliatory measures and increase the risk of a broader confrontation.