Lebanon Arrests Man Suspected of Transferring Money to ISIS in Syria

A man walks near the closed Lebanese-Syrian border checkpoint amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, near Masnaa, Lebanon, April 5, 2026. (Reuters)
A man walks near the closed Lebanese-Syrian border checkpoint amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, near Masnaa, Lebanon, April 5, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon Arrests Man Suspected of Transferring Money to ISIS in Syria

A man walks near the closed Lebanese-Syrian border checkpoint amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, near Masnaa, Lebanon, April 5, 2026. (Reuters)
A man walks near the closed Lebanese-Syrian border checkpoint amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, near Masnaa, Lebanon, April 5, 2026. (Reuters)

Lebanese security forces have arrested a man accused of transferring nearly half a million dollars to the ISIS group in neighboring Syria, a judicial official told AFP on Tuesday.

Forces "arrested a man who had stolen $400,000 from his father's safe, and investigations showed that he had transferred the money to Syria" for ISIS, the official said on condition of anonymity.

The inquiry also showed that the individual was "part of a cell active between Lebanon and Syria" that included three members who are in prison in the Lebanese city of Tripoli and "handled coordination with ISIS in Syria", the official added.

Two other suspected cell members are believed to have crossed Lebanon's porous border into Syria after the matter was uncovered.

The group "was responsible for funding ISIS with the aim of carrying out terror acts, whether inside Syrian territory or in Lebanon", the official added.

Lebanese authorities previously said they had detained a Syrian ISIS commander in late June, accusing him of being the group's leader in central and southern Syria.

Last year, Lebanon's military said it arrested the suspected leader of ISIS in the country, implicating him in planning several operations.

Once in control of swathes of Syria and Iraq, ISIS was territorially defeated in Syria in 2019, but remnants of the group are still there, particularly in the country's vast desert.

The group occasionally claims attacks mainly targeting Syrian security forces.

Syria's new authorities last year joined the US-led coalition against ISIS.

In Lebanon, extremist groups that pledged allegiance to ISIS fought several battles with the army in the 2010s and carried out a series of deadly bombings targeting the Lebanese group Hezbollah and its supporters. But they were largely defeated militarily in 2017.

Hezbollah fought in support of now-ousted Syrian ruler Bashar al-Assad during the country's civil war.

Also on Tuesday, authorities in Syria announced the arrest of an unspecified number of individuals accused of belonging to ISIS in the northern province of Aleppo.

Earlier this month, Syrian authorities said they captured an ISIS-linked cell responsible for two bomb blasts during French President Emmanuel Macron's recent visit to Damascus.



Ben Gvir Publishes Video of 'Gallows Site for Hanging Palestinians'

Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
TT

Ben Gvir Publishes Video of 'Gallows Site for Hanging Palestinians'

Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)

Far-right Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben Gvir published a video in which he boasts about the construction of a site where Palestinians convicted of "terror" offences will be executed by hanging – without including Jewish extremists accused of similar crimes.

According to the British newspaper The Guardian, Ben-Gvir, who has previously attracted international sanctions and condemnation for his activities, said the new execution site would be equipped with viewing booths for families of victims to watch the hangings.

Ben Gvir published the video on social media of a visit he made to the site (whose location was not disclosed) while photos published by Israeli media showed a bulldozer and construction work, said to be near a prison. The extremist minister was seen pointing to the foundation work, boasting that this is where "terrorists will be executed", as he described it.

The newspaper noted that Ben Gvir earlier this year celebrated his 50th birthday in a noose-themed cake.

“I promised to worsen the conditions of terrorists in prisons – we kept it,” said Ben-Gvir in the video. “I promised to pass the Death Penalty for Terrorists law – we did. And now the death row and hanging facility are also starting to take shape.”

The Guardian stated that reports about the construction of gallows – which will be used to execute Palestinians convicted of «terror» crimes in military courts only, not Jewish extremists – come after a new law was passed earlier this year.

The law obliges military courts to impose the death penalty as the only available punishment, unless the court finds special circumstances justifying a life sentence. Practically, Jewish Israelis are protected from the death penalty under a clause that limits the law's application to murders committed “with the intent to deny the existence of the State of Israel”.

It noted that Ben Gvir – who was previously convicted of incitement to racism, obstructing a police officer in the line of duty, and supporting the banned terrorist movement “Kach” – has served as Israel's National Security Minister since 2022, with the exception of a two-month hiatus last year.

Ben Gvir is considered one of the main drivers of Israel's new death penalty law and has a long history of extremist statements and provocative actions.

The death penalty law – one of two laws passed by Israeli lawmakers this year – has drawn widespread international condemnation since its approval in the Knesset by a majority of 62 votes to 48, due to criticism suggesting it is “discriminatory”.

Commenting on the law's approval, Erika Guevara-Rosas, a senior director at Amnesty International, said: “It also dismantles fundamental safeguards to prevent the arbitrary deprivation of life and protect the right to a fair trial, and further empowers Israel’s system of apartheid, which is maintained by scores of discriminatory laws against Palestinians,” said Erika Guevara-Rosas, a senior director at Amnesty International, when the law was passed”.

In recent months, Ben Gvir has been sanctioned by France and Ireland, in addition to sanctions imposed by the United Kingdom last year. He also faced widespread criticism just a few days ago for calling for a policy of punitive killing in Gaza, at a rate of 30 to 40 people per night.

Ben Gvir said: “I think we should be doing 30 to 40 targeted assassinations per night ...There are people there who don’t deserve to live ... They are not even people”.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot on Wednesday described Ben Gvir's statements as «unacceptable and inhumane,» while German Chancellor Friedrich Merz expressed strong condemnation of «Minister Ben Gvir's inhumane calls, which violate international law”.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also described Ben Gvir's statements as “appalling”, “outrageous”, “dehumanizing” and “dangerous”.

The video emerged amid growing wider international condemnation of Israel’s behavior, including the issuing of new tenders for the massive E1 settlement block outside Jerusalem, which was denounced by the UK foreign secretary, Ed Miliband, as an “unacceptable and destructive act” that risked separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem. He summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires in protest.

“The UK has been clear privately and publicly in our opposition to E1 and our support for a two-state solution as the only way to ensure long-term security and peace for both Palestinians and Israelis,” Miliband said. “All settlements damage that prospect and are a flagrant breach of international law.”


Türkiye Denies Military Presence at Abu al-Duhur Airbase Before or During Israeli Strike

A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Türkiye Denies Military Presence at Abu al-Duhur Airbase Before or During Israeli Strike

A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)

Türkiye has reaffirmed its support for Syria’s efforts to develop its military capabilities and infrastructure and preserve its unity and sovereignty, while denying that any Turkish delegation was present at the Abu al-Duhur military airbase before or during Tuesday’s Israeli strike.

A Turkish Defense Ministry official described the attack as an attempt to destabilize Syria, undermine its security, unity and territorial integrity, and damage its infrastructure.

Speaking at the ministry’s weekly briefing Thursday, the official said any attack violating Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity was unacceptable, stressing that no Turkish military delegation had been at the base before or during the strike.

The official urged Israel to halt such “reckless” attacks and abide by international law, adding that Türkiye would continue to support Syria in building its military capabilities and infrastructure under the principle of “one state, one army.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said after the strike that Israel had warned Syria against allowing a Turkish presence at Abu al-Duhur.

“Our message was very clear: Don’t do it,” it said, adding that Damascus had ignored the warning.

The Turkish presidency rejected the allegations as “baseless,” accusing Netanyahu of promoting them ahead of Israel’s October elections and calling on the international community to curb Israeli actions threatening regional peace and stability.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani told Axios that Damascus had previously informed Israel there were no plans to establish a Turkish military base at Abu al-Duhur, which was being rehabilitated for use by the Syrian Air Force.

Al-Shaibani said Turkish military personnel had previously visited the airbase as part of broader training and military cooperation, but denied any Turkish buildup there. The facility was largely empty and work had not yet begun, he added.

There was no intention to establish a Turkish base, permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish troops there, al-Shaibani underlined, saying Israel had no legitimate justification for bombing the facility.

He stressed that Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on de-escalation, provided any agreement addressed both sides’ security concerns and respected Syrian sovereignty.

Türkiye-Israel relations have grown increasingly strained since Israel’s 2010 raid on the Mavi Marmara, part of the Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla. US mediation later helped repair ties, culminating in a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Netanyahu in New York on September 19, 2023.

Relations deteriorated sharply after the Gaza war erupted on October 7, 2023. Ankara has accused Israel of committing “genocide” in Gaza and suspended trade.

The rivalry intensified in Syria after Bashar al-Assad’s fall in December 2024 and Türkiye strengthened political, economic, defense and security ties with President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s government.

Israel, concerned about Türkiye’s military presence in Syria, previously struck the Hama military airport, claiming Ankara planned Turkish air and ground bases at Palmyra, the T4 military airbase in Homs province and the Menagh military airbase in the Aleppo province.


Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
TT

Experts to Asharq Al-Awsat: Expanded Yemeni Army Deterrence Operations Pave Way for Wider Battle

Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)
Yemeni Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Taher al-Aqili during a meeting with military commanders in Marib. (SABA)

Military escalation in Yemen is entering a new phase after the National Defense Council ordered an expansion of air and missile deterrence operations against the Houthis, a move military experts say lays the groundwork for shifting from repelling attacks to striking their sources.

Experts told Asharq Al-Awsat that the deployment of government drones marks a significant change in the balance of power. They believe government forces may possess more advanced drones that have yet to be deployed, while cautioning that the confrontation remains tied to regional tensions and calculations in Iran and the United States.

From defense to preemptive strikes

Brig. Gen. Yasser Saleh, a Yemeni military and strategic expert, said the National Defense Council’s directive aims to neutralize Houthi missile and drone capabilities amid the group’s continued escalation on battlefronts and attacks on vital facilities and infrastructure.

Government operations initially focused on repelling attacks because forces lacked sufficient air defense systems to intercept missiles and drones, Saleh explained.

Raising the level of deterrence would mean conducting preemptive strikes against launch sites and other sources of fire, reducing the Houthis’ ability to mount further attacks, he added.

Saleh described the deployment of government drones as a major development because ground forces require close air support. Drones can conduct reconnaissance, identify targets and strike enemy movements, potentially becoming a key asset if developments lead to a decisive battle.

Government forces are currently using small loitering drones and others capable of dropping munitions, while they are believed to possess more advanced aircraft capable of carrying guided missiles, flying longer distances and striking targets deep inside Houthi-held territory, he said.

Unifying government forces would also allow simultaneous operations on multiple fronts, preventing the Houthis from choosing the time and place of battle or concentrating their forces on a single axis, Saleh went on to say.

Possible offensive

Brig. Gen. Mohammed Al-Kumaim, a Yemeni military expert, said expanded deterrence operations could pave the way for the use of strategic-range drones alongside advanced rocket launchers with ranges of 40 to 60 kilometers.

Potential targets could include command, control and communications centers, supply and reinforcement routes, and missile and drone launch sites.

Al-Kumaim described heavy fire against forward Houthi positions as “preparatory fire” that typically precedes offensive operations, particularly as the group continues to mass forces across several fronts.

He called the deployment of drones a “qualitative shift,” although those seen so far have limited range and capabilities.

Government forces are believed to possess other systems that have yet to enter combat, including the Naqam, Ayban and Shaheen, as well as specialized units trained to operate them.

Al-Kumaim said government forces are better organized than they were in 2022, with a unified operations room and stronger coordination among military fronts and formations.

Rebuilding deterrence

Political and military expert Abdul Wahab Buhaibeh said the council’s directives shift government forces from reacting to Houthi attacks toward seizing the initiative.

He expects longer-range drones to be deployed for reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, artillery and missile fire correction, as well as direct strikes.

The directives also include heightened readiness, stronger early-warning capabilities, intensified intelligence operations and tighter security and maritime measures to track weapons-smuggling routes to the Houthis, alongside preparations for possible ground operations.

Buhaibeh described the approach as a multidimensional strategy combining air and missile operations with security, intelligence and maritime efforts to rebuild deterrence after years in which the Houthis benefited from their relative superiority in missiles and drones and divisions among their opponents.

Yemen and the regional conflict

The experts agreed that Yemen’s escalation cannot be separated from the broader regional conflict.

Saleh said Tehran could push its allies to widen the confrontation if fighting with Washington resumes, while Buhaibeh warned that continued Houthi control of Hodeidah and the Red Sea coast gives Iran leverage over international shipping.

Speaking to AFP, Yemen’s information minister had warned of a Houthi plan to seize coastal areas near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait.

Three Houthi military sources and a spokesman for government forces stationed near the strait also told the agency that the group was planning to advance toward those areas.

Saleh said mounting domestic pressure on the Houthis, combined with regional tensions, could lead to a broader confrontation and potentially pave the way for what he called a “battle of liberation.”

Al-Kumaim, meanwhile, stressed the need for a decisive move before Yemen’s crisis again becomes part of potential US-Iran arrangements, saying the situation is heading toward further escalation but remains dependent on regional and international developments.