‘Very Hungry’ Joao Pedro Impresses New Chelsea Manager Alonso

Joao Pedro of Chelsea celebrates a goal during the Sydney Super Cup match between Chelsea FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Accor Stadium in Sydney, Australia, 28 July 2026. (EPA)
Joao Pedro of Chelsea celebrates a goal during the Sydney Super Cup match between Chelsea FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Accor Stadium in Sydney, Australia, 28 July 2026. (EPA)
TT

‘Very Hungry’ Joao Pedro Impresses New Chelsea Manager Alonso

Joao Pedro of Chelsea celebrates a goal during the Sydney Super Cup match between Chelsea FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Accor Stadium in Sydney, Australia, 28 July 2026. (EPA)
Joao Pedro of Chelsea celebrates a goal during the Sydney Super Cup match between Chelsea FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Accor Stadium in Sydney, Australia, 28 July 2026. (EPA)

Chelsea's Brazilian striker Joao Pedro is "very hungry" after his World Cup snub, with a quick-fire hat-trick in the team's opening pre-season game impressing new manager Xabi Alonso.

The 24-year-old was snapped up from Brighton a year ago and scored 20 goals across all competitions in his first season at Stamford Bridge to be named player of the season by club supporters.

But his penalty-box prowess was not enough to book a spot in Brazil's World Cup squad.

Alonso said that Joao Pedro, who bagged a nine-minute hat-trick as a second-half substitute in Chelsea's 6-4 win over Western Sydney Wanderers on Tuesday, had been fired up in training.

"He's very hungry -- Joao is really, really determined to have a great season," said Alonso.

"After a great last year where he scored many goals, I think that he wants to keep scoring more and more. But we need to help him, as on his own it's not possible.

"He will have the players around him and they need to have this hunger to score as well. It's not just about the striker, but every time that we win and our striker scores, I am happy."

Chelsea are reportedly looking to offload some forwards after the arrival of attacking midfielder Morgan Rogers from Aston Villa, but Joao Pedro will almost certainly not be one of them.

He said he felt liberated playing under former Liverpool star Alonso, who is tasked with getting Chelsea back to the top after their disappointing 10th place last season.

"He's a very open coach. We talk a lot. I feel free," said the Brazilian, who began his career at Fluminense.

"When I play in front I move a lot, so he gives that option for me. Sometimes I can play on the left, sometimes in the middle. So that's what I've learned from him.

"I want to achieve the highest level possible with the team," he added.

"I always want to try to score to help my team and hopefully next season can be better than last season."

While Joao Pedro excelled, fellow striker Liam Delap looked stiff up front and struggled to create chances in a youthful team before being replaced after 60 minutes.

Delap has been linked with a move to Everton, but Alonso insisted he was "doing well".

"I see him in a good mood, in a good desire to get proper fitness, proper football, feeling good, and he's doing well," he said of the England youth international.

Despite some defensive frailties and early season rust, Alonso said his first match in the Chelsea dugout was encouraging with no injuries of note.

"The more situations we have where we are struggling and we find the solutions, the better team we will be. So, for that, this friendly will be useful," he said.

Chelsea's pre-season tour continues with a friendly against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in Sydney on Saturday before matches in Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia.



Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
TT

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the US Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title.

Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati that serve as a warmup for the US Open.

The 25-year-old Italian wrote Friday that he won't be ready when the main draw begins on Aug. 30.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner wrote in a post on X.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

Sinner was the 2024 US Open champion and lost to Carlos Alcaraz in last year's final.

Alcaraz posted on social media on Thursday that he would be ready to play in New York after he has been out of action since April because of a right wrist injury.

The rivalry between those two has dominated men's tennis in recent years, and they met in the last three Grand Slam finals in 2025. Alcaraz took the most recent one with his four-set victory in New York.

That ended Sinner's title reign after he beat Taylor Fritz in straight sets in the 2024 final.

Sinner is 44-3 with six titles this year. He had a stunning collapse at the French Open, blowing a two-set lead while struggling in the heat in his second-round match against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. He then sat out until Wimbledon, where his victory gave him five Grand Slam titles.

It will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the US Open in 2019.


Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Manchester City boss Enzo Maresca has suffered a blow on the eve of the Premier League season after Belgium winger Jeremy Doku was ruled out for several weeks.

Doku will miss City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth with a calf injury and is unlikely to return for up to three weeks.

The 24-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of City's 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Community Shield in Cardiff last weekend, AFP reported.

Doku's absence is a significant setback for former Chelsea boss Maresca as he starts his first season in charge at City after replacing Pep Guardiola in the close-season.

"At the moment the only one out is Jeremy Doku," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"Unfortunately in the last game, at half-time, he was complaining about a little bit of pain in his calf.

"The idea with him was to play 45 minutes anyway, so the change was planned, but at the moment it looks like two or three weeks, no more than that."

After hosting Bournemouth, Maresca's side travel to Crystal Palace, then face Coventry before the derby at Manchester United.

 

 

 

 


Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday insisted his team's star players could fit together ahead of Los Blancos' opening La Liga game at Espanyol.

Mourinho's predecessors Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa struggled to strike a balance between attack and defense while lining up with Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

Madrid won the Champions League in 2024 with England international Bellingham and Brazilian winger Vinicius playing key roles, but since French superstar Mbappe arrived that summer, the club have not lifted a major trophy.

"They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players," Mourinho told reporters.

"Tactically, it could be tricky. Ancelotti has found a set-up with Brazil perfect for Vini, (Didier) Deschamps has found one with France perfect for Kylian, (Thomas) Tuchel one perfect for Jude, it's harder for Mourinho to do it for the three of them.

"We're on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch... they are three players of great quality.

"They don't play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them."

However, Madrid's stars can consider themselves warned -- they must contribute in defense this season.

"We have to defend with 11 players," said Mourinho.

"If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend."