FIFA’s Private Equity Push Opens New Front in Decades-Old Power-Struggle with Europe

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Quarter Final - Norway v England - Miami Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, US - July 11, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino in the stands before the match. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Quarter Final - Norway v England - Miami Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, US - July 11, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino in the stands before the match. (Reuters)
TT

FIFA’s Private Equity Push Opens New Front in Decades-Old Power-Struggle with Europe

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Quarter Final - Norway v England - Miami Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, US - July 11, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino in the stands before the match. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Quarter Final - Norway v England - Miami Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, US - July 11, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino in the stands before the match. (Reuters)

FIFA’s push to open the World Cup to private equity marks a dramatic attempt to reshape the commercial landscape of global football, while opening a new front in a long-running battle with Europe for power and control over the massive wealth generated by the sport.

The global governing body led by Gianni Infantino plans to create a $20 billion subsidiary to run the World Cup and other FIFA events, offering stakes of up to 20% to external investors in a move condemned by UEFA as putting the game's "soul" up for sale.

Infantino, who is up for reelection as head of FIFA next year, cast the move as pushing global "democratization" in the sport by broadening access ‌to its financial ‌largesse.

The proposal offers member associations access to $20 million in immediate funding for ‌special ⁠projects and further grants ⁠of $20 million and more in subsequent four-year cycles, a huge sweetener for small and emerging football nations who rely on FIFA for most of their income.

EUROPEAN RICHES

FIFA already generates billions of dollars in revenue from broadcasting rights, sponsorship and other commercial deals, and is expected to top its $13 billion target for the four-year cycle which finished with the recent World Cup and included last year's Club World Cup.

Yet those figures pale in comparison with the riches generated by European football.

UEFA reported in February that its elite club competitions generated €4.4 billion ($5 billion) in ⁠the 2024/25 season alone.

Football competitions across the continent generated more than €40 billion in ‌the same period, with the "Big Five" of the Premier League, ‌Bundesliga, LaLiga, Serie A, and Ligue 1 accounting for just over half of that amount, Deloitte said in its annual ‌review of football finance.

FIFA has long battled to shift football's financial center of gravity away from ‌Europe, which once dominated the governing body's membership and control over its crown jewel, the World Cup.

Former FIFA president João Havelange campaigned successfully to expand the World Cup and give greater influence to Africa, Asia and Latin America through a political coalition of smaller nations.

BIGGER COMPETITIONS

Successive FIFA bosses have carried Brazilian Havelange's legacy further, with Infantino the latest to boost ‌the recent World Cup, which grew to 48 nations this year from 32.

Infantino said a 64-team World Cup was an idea up for discussion ⁠last week after South ⁠American football governing body CONMEBOL pushed for an expansion for the centenary edition in 2030.

The proposal drew a scathing response from LaLiga President Javier Tebas, who said FIFA was "destroying" football in an interview with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Infantino has previously tried to commercialize FIFA assets by bringing in external investment. A plan for an expanded Club World Cup brought by a consortium led by SoftBank in 2018 never got off the ground after a fierce backlash from UEFA.

But as with Havelange and his successor Sepp Blatter, Infantino will rely on majority support among FIFA's 211 member associations, rather than Europe, to push his private equity agenda.

"If you're a country from the global south, whose football competitions are not getting the current streams of gold that, let's say, the European competitions are getting, this might be very enticing," Eric Windholz, an associate professor at Monash University's law faculty, told Reuters on Wednesday.

None of football's major continental blocs have joined UEFA in voicing opposition.

The Asian Football Confederation, which includes 47 member associations, was unaware of the plan until FIFA's public announcement.



Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
TT

Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

In an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans, Real Madrid officially presented coach José Mourinho on Tuesday.

The event took place at the club's headquarters in Madrid, with president Florentino Pérez welcoming the coach. The only images of the presentation were provided by Real Madrid TV and the club's website and social media accounts.

“I'm one of you,” Mourinho said in a message to fans in a video released by the club. “And not just today, but since I arrived in 2010 and after I left in 2013, always with you. ... To return to Real Madrid is to return home.”

Madrid said the coach was signed for three seasons until June 30, 2029.

After the signing, Madrid said Mourinho received a replica of the stadium, a watch and a jersey with his name.

Madrid has been revamped after a second consecutive season without a major title. In addition to Mourinho, who replaced Álvaro Arbeloa, the club also brought in players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham will lead the squad again as it tries to keep Barcelona from winning a third straight La Liga title. Mourinho was hired in June and officially took over in July at the start of the preseason.

He is back for a second stint with Madrid some 13 years after he left the club. He was in charge from 2010-13, winning a Spanish league and a Copa del Rey. He was more remembered for his confrontational personality that ended up splitting his own squad and alienating all but the most hardcore fans, as well as a large part of the local media.


Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027
TT

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

The Esports Foundation has postponed the inaugural Esports Nations Cup (ENC) in Riyadh from November 2026 to November 2027, following an ongoing regional assessment, consultations with key partners, and a commitment to match the high expectations of players, national teams, publishers, partners, and fans across more than 100 participating countries and territories.

The foundation affirmed that Saudi Arabia remains a safe, stable, and welcoming host for international sports and entertainment. It stressed that its commitment to staging the tournament and supporting the national esports ecosystem is unchanged, SPA reported.

All commitments under the ENC Development Fund and its programs remain fully active, with ongoing stakeholder coordination to manage the revised timeline.

Esports Foundation CEO Ralf Reichert noted that while the decision was not taken lightly, the positive global response underscores the event's immense potential. He emphasized the foundation's responsibility to deliver the inaugural edition under optimal conditions, confirming that investments in national partners, publisher collaborations, and national team ecosystems will continue unabated.

The global tournament aims to elevate the esports sector, create player pathways, advance national teams, and foster national identity.

In the coming weeks, the foundation will coordinate with stakeholders to clarify the revised schedule, qualifying rounds, and related operational details.


Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
TT

Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)

Back-to-back champions ‌Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia will take on 2024 winners Al-Ain of the United Arab Emirates in the league phase of the Asian Champions League Elite after the draw for the expanded competition was conducted in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

Al-Ahli, now coached by Marino Pusic after Matthias Jaissle left to join Newcastle United, will also play Qatari trio Al-Sadd, Al-Shamal and Al-Gharafa as well ‌as Emirati ‌sides Shabab Al-Ahli and Al-Wasl plus ‌Uzbekistan's ⁠Neftchi and Pakhtakor.

The ⁠league phase has been increased from 24 to 32 teams with the opening round to commence on September 14 and finish on February 17.

Japan's Kashima Antlers, the last team from east Asia playing in the current edition to have ⁠won the title, will face twice winners ‌Jeonbuk Motors from ‌South Korea, as well as Thai sides Buriram United, Port ‌FC and Ratchaburi FC.

The J-League side will ‌also take on tournament debutants Cong An Ha Noi from Vietnam, Daejeon Citizen and Pohang Steelers from South Korea, and Australian champions Newcastle Jets.

Clubs in the west ‌and east of the continent are divided into separate groups of 16 ⁠teams for ⁠the league phase, with the top eight finishers on each side advancing to the knockout rounds.

Those last 16 matches will also be held on a regional basis with the four victorious teams from the two sides of the confederation advancing to the centralized finals, which will be played for the third year in a row in Saudi Arabia.

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1.