Infantino Faces Crisis as UEFA, CONCACAF Declare Lost Confidence Over Scrapped World Cup Deal

FIFA's President Gianni Infantino (C) arrives to attend a friendly football match between Iran and Costa Rica, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, on March 31, 2026. (AFP)
FIFA's President Gianni Infantino (C) arrives to attend a friendly football match between Iran and Costa Rica, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, on March 31, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Infantino Faces Crisis as UEFA, CONCACAF Declare Lost Confidence Over Scrapped World Cup Deal

FIFA's President Gianni Infantino (C) arrives to attend a friendly football match between Iran and Costa Rica, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, on March 31, 2026. (AFP)
FIFA's President Gianni Infantino (C) arrives to attend a friendly football match between Iran and Costa Rica, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, on March 31, 2026. (AFP)

FIFA President Gianni Infantino is under unprecedented fire after regional confederations UEFA and CONCACAF said on Saturday they had lost confidence in his leadership following his abandoned plan to sell a stake in World Cup commercial rights. 

The dramatic fallout from Infantino's scrapped $4.2-billion proposal has exposed growing unease within world football over his leadership style, with European governing body UEFA leading a chorus of criticism that could complicate his re-election hopes. 

FIFA's proposal had triggered a fierce backlash from regional confederations who said they were blindsided by Infantino's plans to sell stakes to private investors in a new unit that would run FIFA events, including the World Cup. 

Football officials are now demanding greater oversight of decisions that could reshape the governance and commercial future of the sport. 

UEFA, whose 55 members had unanimously rejected the proposal earlier this week, declared FIFA's retreat a "victory for the whole game" while adding that the "task of rebuilding trust in FIFA" had only just begun. 

"The current FIFA leadership has not only lost UEFA's confidence but also that of many other members of the football family," UEFA said in a statement. 

"UEFA thanks all the fans, leagues, clubs, players, individuals, associations and confederations that opposed the scheme, alongside the many Prime Ministers, Heads of State and commentators who have demonstrated to the FIFA President that football is not for sale," it said in a ‌statement. 

"We cannot keep going ‌on like this with secret schemes on fast-track timescales, cooked up by faceless individuals and of dubious benefit to the ‌game. We ⁠must identify ⁠those responsible and hold them to account." 

North America, Central America and the Caribbean confederation CONCACAF said the proposal was advanced outside all established governance processes, with no transparency, consultation or due process. 

"A proposal of this magnitude does not reach that stage by accident. It is a symptom of leadership that has stopped putting football first," it said. 

"This recent unilateral and egregious act of poor governance and leadership follows a pattern of missteps and similar behavior. A comprehensive reckoning with this presidency is imperative." 

'SHABBY, BACK-ROOM OPAQUE DEAL' 

The backlash raised questions about Infantino's political capital as he prepares to seek another term in office. 

UEFA reminded Infantino about the promises he made when he was elected FIFA president in 2016, including pledges to run the governing body transparently and to treat FIFA's funds as belonging to its member associations. 

"On both these promises, he has failed to deliver. The shabby, back-room, opaque deal he hatched and tried to force through was anything but transparent," UEFA ⁠added. 

"And with reserves standing at over $5 billion, he has also failed to use associations' money for the benefit of the ‌game. 

"UEFA will begin work immediately with partners and stakeholders all over the world and right across the game to propose ‌a new way of distributing resources through the existing FIFA Forward program." 

FIFA and Infantino declined to comment on UEFA's statement. 

The Dutch FA said the process led to a "fundamental breach of trust" in ‌Infantino, while German FA chief Bernd Neuendorf said the Swiss official "acted unilaterally and without transparency", failing to operate in the sport's best interests. 

Spanish LaLiga President Javier Tebas called ‌for Infantino's resignation, saying that the withdrawal of the proposal was good news but did not resolve the governance problem. 

"The problem was never just one proposal. The problem is a governance model that concentrates power, reduces checks and balances and marginalizes those directly affected by its decisions," he said on social media. 

"I believe that Gianni Infantino should not continue in charge of FIFA. World football needs new leadership to modernize its governance, regain institutional credibility and make future decisions in consultation with those involved," he added. 

However, Infantino received support from Qatar, who said the proposal had merit and fully supported ‌his efforts. 

The president of the Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF), Fouzi Lekjaa, also welcomed the decision to withdraw the proposal but reiterated his support for Infantino. 

STORM OF OPPOSITION 

Infantino's plan, announced on Tuesday, quickly ran into a storm of opposition from regional confederations, who ⁠complained they had not been consulted on a ⁠move that could alter the commercial structure of world football. 

Following the backlash, Infantino said world football's governing body had abandoned the plans after listening "carefully to all the views". 

Asian Football Confederation President Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa on Saturday welcomed FIFA's reversal. 

Bahrain's Sheikh Salman said he expected that "any initiative that has the potential to impact global football will be presented and discussed with the Confederations, the FIFA Council, Member Associations and other stakeholders in a timely, transparent and meaningful manner." 

"The future of global football must always be shaped through proper consultation, collective dialogue and respect for the established governance structures of our game." 

INFANTINO'S RE-ELECTION HOPES DAMAGED, SAY EXPERTS 

The controversy comes at an awkward moment for Infantino, who said in April that he intended to seek re-election for a fourth term as FIFA president. 

Since taking over from Sepp Blatter in 2016, he has been re-elected unopposed twice and appeared firmly in control of the organization. 

While his re-election for the 2027-31 term had appeared a formality, experts told Reuters the backlash against the failed proposal exposed dissatisfaction among some FIFA members and could complicate his path ahead of March's Congress in Morocco. 

"He's obviously been kind of egomaniacal in everything that he's done. I know that he's rubbed many of the member associations the wrong way with some of his decisions," Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing analyst, said. 

The speed of the turnaround has been particularly striking, coming less than two weeks after Infantino was toasting the most commercially successful World Cup in history. 

"As close as two weeks ago, he's riding on top of the world, the most successful sports mega event in the history of this planet," said economist Victor Matheson, a sports business expert at the College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts. 

"And just two weeks later, he's fighting for his political life." 



Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
TT

Man City Set to Sign Morocco Midfielder Bouaddi from Lille

Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
Soccer Football - Ligue 1 - Lille v Olympique de Marseille - Decathlon Arena Stade Pierre-Mauroy, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, France - December 5, 2025 Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi applauds fans before the match after the announcement of his contract extension REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Manchester City are set to sign midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi from French side Lille, with British media reporting the Premier League club could pay up to 100 million euros ($116.80 million) for the 18-year-old.

The Athletic reported City will pay an initial fee of 95 million plus up to five million in add-ons for the Morocco international.

Bouaddi would become one of City's most expensive signings, following the arrival of Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest in a reported 116 million pounds ($158.18 million) deal earlier this summer, Reuters reported.

Primarily a defensive midfielder, Bouaddi made 30 Ligue 1 appearances as Lille finished third and secured qualification for the Champions League.

Bouaddi also made his senior debut for Morocco in May and was later included in the country's 26-man World Cup squad. He made his tournament debut against Brazil and started five of Morocco's six matches as they reached the quarter-finals.


Japan's Olympic Figure Skating Heroes to Wed

(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
TT

Japan's Olympic Figure Skating Heroes to Wed

(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)

Japan's Olympic figure skating pairs champions Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara announced their engagement on Sunday.

Two-time world champions Miura, 24, and Kihara, 34, became media darlings after they won Japan's first Olympic pairs gold medals at the Milan-Cortina Games in Italy in February.

They retired from competition in April.

"We're engaged," AFP quoted the pair as saying in a statement.

"Through both the happy times and the difficult ones, we've shared so many moments together, supporting each other every step of the way," they said.

"Over time, we became irreplaceable parts of each other's lives."

In February's Olympics, Miura and Kihara, popularly known in Japan as "Rikuryu", went into the decisive free skate in fifth place after errors in their short program.

They then stunned the world by topping the podium with personal-best scores, making them national heroes in Japan.


Man City Boss Maresca Targets Next Rodri after Midfielder's Exit

16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Targets Next Rodri after Midfielder's Exit

16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa

Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca said the club would look to find the next Rodri following the midfielder's departure to Barcelona, insisting City had repeatedly shown an ability to replace key players.

Rodri, 30, ended a seven-year spell at City on Tuesday, bringing to a close a trophy-laden stay that included four Premier League titles, the Champions League and two FA Cups.

"I'll try to find a new Rodri - it is what it is," Maresca told reporters on Saturday, a day ahead of City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth.

"Rodri, before he arrived here, he didn't win the Ballon d'Or, he didn't win the ⁠Champions League, he ⁠didn't win the Club World Cup. Then he joined the club and then he achieved many important things.

"Now the target for us is to try to find the new Rodri,” Reuters quoted him as saying.

Maresca acknowledged the Spain international would be difficult to replace but said City's recruitment history gave him confidence that a successor could emerge.

"When David ⁠Silva was here, everyone was worried – Kevin (De Bruyne) arrived. When Sergio Aguero was here, everyone was worried – Erling (Haaland) arrived. When Fernandinho left, Rodri arrived. It's just about this," he said.

"When they leave, you need to be good and recruit the next one."

Rodri, the 2024 Ballon d'Or winner and a member of Spain's European Championship-winning team, further enhanced his reputation by captaining his country to World Cup glory last month and being named player of the tournament.

His departure is among several notable changes during the close ⁠season as ⁠City continue to reshape their squad.

Maresca said he expected further transfer activity before the window closes but remained relaxed despite reports linking Omar Marmoush and Nico Gonzalez with moves away.

"We need to adapt and we don't want to keep players here that don't want to stay. The normal thing in transfer windows is that you have to wait because all the clubs try to keep players until the last week and then sell for more money," he said.

"It's normal. I'm not worried about that. When the transfer window closes and we have all the squad there, for sure it will be different."