Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
TT

Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang

Taiwan is determined to strengthen its defenses and plans record defense spending next year, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, describing his government's military budget proposal as an investment in peace.

Taiwan's cabinet will unveil next year's budget on Thursday, including a breakdown of where defense spending will go, but Lai confirmed media reports that 2027's overall defense budget would exceed T$1 trillion ($31.40 billion) for the first time.

His announcement comes as China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, has ramped up military ⁠and political pressure over ⁠the past few years to assert its claims, which Taipei strongly rejects.

But Taiwan also faces calls from Washington to spend more on its own defense, mirroring US pressure on Europe, something Lai has enthusiastically embraced.

Addressing a meeting about next year's budget, Lai said defense spending in 2027 would reach T$1.1225 trillion - exceeding 3% of gross domestic product, according to a transcript of the remarks released by his office.

According to Reuters, he said ⁠this "demonstrates Taiwan's determination to strengthen its self-defense capabilities".

"Investing in defense is investing in peace; we will continue to build a more solid defense force to maintain peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait and the region," Lai added.

Taiwan's government has made military modernization a key policy platform and has repeatedly pledged to spend more on its defenses, including developing made-in-Taiwan submarines, given the rising threat from China.

China's military operates almost daily in the waters and skies around Taiwan, and Beijing has also been honing new tactics, such as coastguard "law enforcement" patrols off Taiwan's east coast in the Pacific Ocean.

William Chung, an assistant research fellow at Taiwan Defense ⁠Ministry think-tank the ⁠Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said China's east coast activities were not only aimed at exerting psychological pressure, but also combat training and intelligence gathering.

"If actual hostilities break out across the Taiwan Strait, the entire eastern maritime area of Taiwan will be Taiwan's most critical outlet to the outside world," he told a forum in Taipei earlier on Monday.

Taiwan finished its annual Han Kuang military drills last week, simulating a range of battle scenarios including how to break a potential Chinese maritime blockade.

China's Defense Ministry called the drills a "wasteful charade" that "stoked war panic".

Lai also faces a challenge from Taiwan's opposition-dominated parliament, which only passed this year's budget late on Friday after months of delays.

The two main opposition parties say they will not write blank checks for the government.



Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
TT

Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

Iran said Monday it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.

Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”

He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during the interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports and it was not clear whether this would meet Washington’s expectations.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked the country on Feb. 28.

Baghaei conceded the talks with Oman have gone slowly, “but we had planned, and still plan, to finalize the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement.”

His comments came as a 60-day deadline for finding an agreement to end the war expired, with no signs of a deal between the US and Iran.


Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
TT

Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)

Dozens of residents on Monday jeered the French prime minister as he arrived in a region hit by wildfires earlier this summer, in a show of anger over the government's handling of the worst such crisis in France in decades.

Some 200 people dressed in black gathered in front of the town hall in Le Porge in southwestern France, where 183 homes burned down when wildfires swept through the Gironde region in late July and early August, at one point even threatening the city of Bordeaux.

They jeered, whistled and shouted anti-government slogans as the tinted-window car with a flashing light carrying Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu approached for a meeting with the mayor of Le Porge, Martial Zaninetti, an AFP correspondent said.

"Where is he? Where is he?" the crowd shouted.

"It would have been the least he could do" for the prime minister to meet the residents, said Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensioner. "It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter."

Lecornu's office said he had spoken with affected residents and farmers.

"We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks," Lecornu said as he met local officials in the nearby town of Merignac after leaving Le Porge.

He had already visited Le Porge on Sunday afternoon to tour the municipality with the mayor -- a trip that had not been announced and took place without press cameras.

There is anger in the region among some residents who allege authorities prioritized fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula -- where many affluent Parisians take holidays -- over protecting homes of local residents.

"He doesn't want to meet us; it's a shame. We had things we wanted to say," said Ludivine Daurignac, organizer of a group of affected residents who plan to file complaints and get "truth, transparency, and justice".

"We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access," she said.

Having burned through 42,000 hectares, the fire was brought under control on August 1.

It was the largest such fire in France by surface area since 1949, with the flames coming within 15 kilometers (10 miles) of the Bordeaux metropolitan area and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists.


Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
TT

Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)
An Iranian rides a motorbike past a political billboard displayed at the Valiasr square in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (As mandated by Iran's Directorate General for Foreign Media)

Iran said on Monday that two French embassy employees involved in a diplomatic dispute last month would not be allowed to return to Iran.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two had violated the Vienna Convention - which defines the rules and privileges of diplomatic missions - engaging in activities supporting Iranian civil society.

"Insisting that these individuals were engaged ⁠in activities related to ⁠supporting civil society is itself an admission that the Vienna Convention was violated," Baghaei told a weekly press conference, without elaborating.

Tehran has long been highly sensitive to what ⁠it sees as Western meddling in its internal affairs, especially since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in late February in a conflict that continues to rage.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot, in an interview with France Inter last month, said the mission of the two embassy employees concerned ⁠was ⁠to "develop programs supporting Iranian civil society, students, and artists (...) France is one of the countries in the world that does the most for Iranian civil society, and we have paid the price for it."

France summoned Iran's charge d'affaires on July 21 after accusing Iranian security forces of detaining and physically intimidating its embassy staff in Tehran.