Türkiye Rejects Israeli Claims Used to Justify Strike on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Air Base

Out-of-service Syrian Air Force aircraft at the Abu al-Duhur military air base, east of Idlib, after Syrian opposition fighters seized the area on Dec. 7, 2024 (EPA) 
Out-of-service Syrian Air Force aircraft at the Abu al-Duhur military air base, east of Idlib, after Syrian opposition fighters seized the area on Dec. 7, 2024 (EPA) 
TT

Türkiye Rejects Israeli Claims Used to Justify Strike on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Air Base

Out-of-service Syrian Air Force aircraft at the Abu al-Duhur military air base, east of Idlib, after Syrian opposition fighters seized the area on Dec. 7, 2024 (EPA) 
Out-of-service Syrian Air Force aircraft at the Abu al-Duhur military air base, east of Idlib, after Syrian opposition fighters seized the area on Dec. 7, 2024 (EPA) 

Türkiye has rejected Israeli claims about its military posture in Syria and Israel’s justification for strikes on the Abu al-Duhur military air base in Idlib, which Israel said were prompted by plans to deploy Turkish forces there.

The Turkish presidency said Wednesday that Israeli allegations that Syria had allowed Turkish forces to deploy at Abu al-Duhur were “baseless.”

Israel carried out eight airstrikes Tuesday on the base in southeastern Idlib province near the Turkish border.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Syria of accepting a Turkish troop deployment, saying Israel had repeatedly warned Damascus that such a move would threaten its security but that those warnings had been ignored. Israel “will not tolerate any threats to its security,” the statement said, adding that it would welcome a return to the status quo.

Türkiye’s Directorate of Communications said the allegations were intended to legitimize what it called Israel’s illegal strikes against Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

It noted that the accusations reflected Netanyahu’s intention to pursue expansionist and destabilizing policies in the region ahead of Israeli elections expected in October.

The statement said Türkiye, like the overwhelming majority of the international community, supported lasting peace in the Middle East and that this could only be achieved if Netanyahu abandoned aggressive policies and respected international law.

“Türkiye will resolutely continue its legitimate cooperation with the Syrian government to establish security, stability and prosperity in Syria and will under no circumstances allow Syria to be destabilized,” it read.

US Seeks Deconfliction Mechanism

US Ambassador to Ankara and Special Presidential Envoy for Syria and Iraq Tom Barrack said after the Israeli strikes that Washington was working to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Türkiye and Syria and was already facilitating information-sharing and dialogue among the parties.

Barrack told Reuters that Türkiye had not received advance notice of the Israeli strike and therefore detected the aircraft heading north toward its territory, meaning it could reasonably have prepared a response of its own.

“Thankfully, calm heads were able to prevent the situation from deteriorating further,” he said.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US President Donald Trump also spoke by telephone. The Turkish presidency said they discussed bilateral relations and regional and global issues but did not say whether the Israeli strikes on Abu al-Duhur were raised.

Turkish Military Presence

Türkiye, whose relations with Israel have become increasingly strained since the 2023 Gaza war amid broader regional rivalry in Syria, trains the Syrian army and helps Damascus rebuild state institutions and infrastructure. It also provides military support as part of a plan to gradually reduce the presence of Turkish forces inside Syria.

Available information indicates Turkish forces are deployed at 126 military sites, including 12 main bases and 114 military and security observation posts, mainly across northern, northwestern and northeastern Syria.

They include areas covered by Türkiye’s Euphrates Shield operation in northern and eastern rural Aleppo, including Azaz, Jarablus, al-Bab, Marea, al-Rai and Dabiq.

Turkish forces are also present around Afrin, known as the Olive Branch area, through military bases and security points operating in coordination with local councils and the Syrian government, formerly represented there by the Syrian National Army.

The Turkish presence in Syria was previously estimated at about 20,000 military and security personnel, but troop numbers and deployments have changed significantly since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government and the establishment of the new administration headed by President Ahmed al-Sharaa.

Smaller positions have since been consolidated into larger bases, including Kuweires military air base in Aleppo and Taftanaz air base and Mastouma camp in Idlib.



Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
TT

Syria Says No Turkish Build-up Planned

18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa
18 August 2026, Syria, Damascus: Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks during a press conference with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Raffaele Grossi after their meeting. Photo: Mohammed Al-Rifai/dpa

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani has said that he made clear to Israel his government wasn't working with Türkiye to amass a military presence at a Syrian airbase — but Israel went ahead and attacked the site anyway.

Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria on Tuesday, warning Syria was on the verge of violating a "status quo agreed with Israel in security matters" by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase.

"[T]here was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in one of eight written responses to questions from Axios on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump told Axios in a phone call that he'd been briefed on the Israeli strike, but did not criticize it.

"I can't talk about it," he said. He declined to say whether his briefing came before or after the strike.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "dragging Türkiye into dangerous adventures in Syria.”

Katz, in a post on X, said his country would not "allow any entity to threaten its security."

The strikes on Tuesday follow worsening security tensions between Israel and Türkiye and increasingly sharp rhetoric between the two countries over Syria, where both countries' militaries are active.

Türkiye firmly rejected on ⁠Wednesday what it called "untenable allegations" by Israel regarding its military position in Syria after Israel said Syria was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy there.


Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
TT

Katz: Erdogan 'Dragging Türkiye Into Dangerous Adventures in Syria'

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz (dpa)

The Israeli defense minister on Thursday accused President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of dragging Türkiye into "dangerous adventures in Syria,” after Israel tacitly acknowledged a strike on a north Syria air base earlier in the week.

"Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security," Israel Katz wrote on X in both Hebrew and Turkish. "It is preferable for Erdogan to continue delivering empty, delusional speeches against Israel in the Turkish parliament rather than testing Israel's resolve to defend itself," he added.

The Turkish presidency said Wednesday that Israeli allegations that Syria had allowed Turkish forces to deploy at Abu al-Duhur were “baseless.”

Israel carried out eight airstrikes Tuesday on the base in southeastern Idlib province near the Turkish border.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Syria of accepting a Turkish troop deployment, saying Israel had repeatedly warned Damascus that such a move would threaten its security but that those warnings had been ignored.

Israel “will not tolerate any threats to its security,” the statement said, adding that it would welcome a return to the status quo.


Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Lebanon: Israeli Airstrikes, Artillery Fire Hit Ali al-Taher, Explosions Reported in South

15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Lebanon, Nabatieh District: People are searching the rubble following an Israeli airstrike on a house in a tourist area of Ansar, southern Lebanon, before dawn, completely destroying the building and causing extensive damage to surrounding properties. Photo: Abdul Kader Al Bay/ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight airstrikes and artillery shelling on Ali al-Taher hill and the outskirts of al-Dabsha, while explosions were reported in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri in southern Lebanon, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported on Thursday.

“Israeli warplanes carried out a series of overnight strikes on Ali al-Taher hill and the area around al-Dabsha, on the northern outskirts of Nabatieh al-Fawqa and Kefr Rumman”, said NNA. They were subject to intermittent artillery fire until dawn, added the agency.

In the southern city of Tyre, the Israeli forces carried out explosions, overnight and at dawn, in Majdal Zoun and Mansouri, alongside artillery shelling of the two towns.

Israel launched a war against Lebanon on March 2 after Hezbollah fired rockets at northern Israel. Israeli forces occupied several towns in southern Lebanon.

A ceasefire was announced on June 20, after which the frequency of Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon declined.