Global Initiative for Female Athletes Expands to 9 Nations

Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
TT

Global Initiative for Female Athletes Expands to 9 Nations

Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers
Athletics - European Athletics Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - August 16, 2026 General view as the athletes line up at the start of the women's marathon REUTERS/Andrew Boyers

The Global Alliance for Female Athletes (GAFA) has expanded from four to nine members with Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Switzerland joining the initiative, the Australian Sports Commission said on Friday.

Aimed at improving health and performance outcomes for women in sport, GAFA was launched last year by organizations from Australia, the US, Britain and New Zealand.

Ireland and Belgium have also joined the initiative as ⁠supporting partners.

The Australian ⁠Institute of Sport (AIS), which helped establish the alliance, said the new members would strengthen international collaboration in addressing research gaps and enhance support for female athletes, coaches and sports medicine practitioners.

"The growth ⁠of GAFA to nine nations shows there is enormous appetite around the world to work together, share knowledge and create lasting change for female athletes," AIS Female Performance Health Initiative lead Rachel Harris said in a statement.

"By working together across borders, we're able to accelerate research, share lessons faster and ensure more female athletes benefit ⁠from ⁠the latest evidence and insights."

According to Reuters, Harris said a key priority for the alliance was ensuring that female-focused research reaches athletes, coaches and health professionals around the world.

The expansion comes amid growing efforts to address female-specific health issues in sport, including anterior cruciate ligament injuries, with studies showing female athletes are two to six times more likely to sustain the injury than men.



No Feeling of Vindication for Lawson on Red Bull Return

Racing Bulls' New Zealand driver Liam Lawson walks in the paddock ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at The Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
Racing Bulls' New Zealand driver Liam Lawson walks in the paddock ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at The Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

No Feeling of Vindication for Lawson on Red Bull Return

Racing Bulls' New Zealand driver Liam Lawson walks in the paddock ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at The Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
Racing Bulls' New Zealand driver Liam Lawson walks in the paddock ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at The Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 20, 2026. (AFP)

Some drivers might feel ‌vindicated after being promoted back to a team that dumped them after two races last year, but Liam Lawson said he was just focused on getting the best out of the Red Bull car at this week's Dutch Grand Prix.

The New Zealander was dropped to Racing Bulls after the first two rounds of last season, but recalled to Red Bull for this weekend after Isack Hadjar injured his wrist in training.

Lawson said his demotion felt "a long time ago" and he took ‌no particular ‌pleasure at being asked to help out ‌the ⁠senior team for ⁠the weekend.

"I haven't really looked at it like that. For me we've had a really good year so far, and obviously I'm grateful to have been chosen for something like this," the 24-year-old told reporters at Zandvoort on Thursday.

"But I'm really focused on trying to get something out of the weekend. ⁠It would be great to do that and ‌have a good weekend, but ‌I'm sure it's going to be challenging."

After the switch to Racing ‌Bulls, Lawson outperformed his replacement at Red Bull, Yuki Tsunoda, ‌and this year he is ninth in the drivers' standings after scoring points in eight of the 11 rounds so far.

Lawson discovered he would be driving for Red Bull this weekend on the ‌runway as he returned from his holiday during the season break and said changing cars ⁠would be ⁠tough.

"The week quickly changed from what it was going to be to Red Bull prep. It's going to be challenging – there are obviously differences between the cars," he added.

"As long as for me I've done all the preparation I can ... I'm going to try and enjoy it as well.

"It's a track I've enjoyed racing at in the past ... I'm going to try and enjoy the weekend, but there are definitely going to be challenges that we face."

The Dutch Grand Prix, which will not be on the calendar from next season, features a sprint race before qualifying on Saturday.


Swiatek Into Cincinnati Semis After Rybakina Injury

 20 August 2026, US, Mason: Polish tennis player Iga Swiatek in action against Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina during their women's singles quarter-finals tennis match at the 2026 Cincinnati Open Tennis. (dpa)
20 August 2026, US, Mason: Polish tennis player Iga Swiatek in action against Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina during their women's singles quarter-finals tennis match at the 2026 Cincinnati Open Tennis. (dpa)
TT

Swiatek Into Cincinnati Semis After Rybakina Injury

 20 August 2026, US, Mason: Polish tennis player Iga Swiatek in action against Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina during their women's singles quarter-finals tennis match at the 2026 Cincinnati Open Tennis. (dpa)
20 August 2026, US, Mason: Polish tennis player Iga Swiatek in action against Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina during their women's singles quarter-finals tennis match at the 2026 Cincinnati Open Tennis. (dpa)

Iga Swiatek moved into the semi-finals of the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters as Elena Rybakina was forced to retire with a heel injury less than half an hour into their clash Thursday.

Rybakina's withdrawal raised concerns over the fitness of the world number two Kazakh just 10 days before the start of the US Open.

Trailing 4-1 in the opening set of Thursday's Cincinnati quarter-final, Rybakina suddenly pulled up short at 40-all, heading to her bench and consulting with the trainer.

She went back out and played one more point before quitting.

"I was feeling anxious watching the whole situation," said her opponent Swiatek. "I hope she will be fine. Health is always the priority."

"This is an important tournament, but the US Open is the US Open. I hope she is ready for that," she said, referring to the major which begins in New York on August 30.

"It was a shame she was injured, we were having a good match."

Had two-time Grand Slam winner Rybakina reached the Cincinnati final, she would have risen to number one in the world for the first time in her career, following incumbent Aryna Sabalenka's shock exit to 20-year-old Sara Bejlek.

Defending Cincinnati champion Swiatek said she had "gained a lot of confidence in the last weeks," which have also included her victory over Rybakina in the final of this month's Toronto event.

"I feel great, ready to play my game... I'm happy to be playing the tennis that I am."

- 'Good record' -

Poland's Swiatek now plays a semi-final against Jessica Pegula, who is reportedly carrying a hip niggle after defeating Amanda Anisimova 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7/4).

Sixth-seeded Anisimova converted all five of her break points against Pegula, breaking her three times in the second set, before the world number three rebounded to win.

Pegula is setting WTA records at age 32. She is the fourth player since 2009 to reach five or more Masters 1000 quarter-finals after turning 30, along with Li Na, Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Pegula needed just 34 minutes to pocket the opening set.

But Anisimova struck back in the second, earning a double break for 4-0.

After Anisimova squared the match at one-set each, Pegula regrouped with an opening break in the deciding set.

They would each be broken twice as they went to the tiebreaker, where Pegula sealed the win on her first match point.

Pegula's win was her sixth without a loss to Anisimova.

"I know I have a good record against her, but literally every single match is like it was today," she said.

- Sweet victory -

In the men's draw, Flavio Cobolli advanced to the final four with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 defeat of Tommy Paul, gobbling down a handful of sweets for an unorthodox boost midway through the match.

The Roland Garros runner-up asked for the candy to be brought to the court and seemingly took energy from the pause before dispatching Paul, who had himself eliminated top seed Alexander Zverev 24 hours earlier.

"A sweet with chocolate makes me happy," Cobolli said. "I've tried it in doubles so why not singles?"

Cobolli mounted the comeback after dropping the opening set.

With the match tied at a set apiece, Paul needed an extraordinary effort to hold serve for 4-3 in the final set, battling through five deuces and saving four break points.

But Cobolli ignored the showing and closed out victory.

"It was a difficult day," the winner said. "I'm proud of my effort, my game and my mental strength. It is all good practice for the US Open.

Cobelli will play for a place in the final when he faces Arthur Fils, who defeated Thiago Tirante 6-3, 6-2 in just 64 minutes -- the shortest men's match of the event.

Fils, the eighth Frenchman to reach Cincinnati semi-finals in the Open Era, said he was impressed by the weight of his opponent's big game.

"He has an unbelievable serve, I was surprised by the speed of his ball," he said.

"I tried to make him play a bit more. I stayed solid in my head and it worked pretty well for me."


Barcelona Enter New Era as Flick Targets La Liga Hat-trick

Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
TT

Barcelona Enter New Era as Flick Targets La Liga Hat-trick

Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP
Barcelona's Spanish forward Lamine Yamal will lead a new-look attacking line for the champions. Lluis GENE / AFP

Hansi Flick's second season at Barcelona built on the success of his first, with the German coach guiding the Catalan giants to a second straight La Liga title.

His third campaign, however, brings significant structural change to the team as Barcelona look to maintain their domestic dominance and handle the threat of Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid, while aiming to end their wait for Champions League glory, said AFP.

Barca begin their campaign at Elche on Sunday in the Spanish top flight, a day after Mourinho's Los Blancos visit Espanyol in the Catalan capital.

"We have an incredible team, with a lot of quality," Flick told Barca's fans on Wednesday ahead of their final pre-season friendly against Al Ahly. "We are ready to work hard day after day and to fight for all the titles."

The arrival of Rodri from Manchester City is Barca's most significant addition, while the departures of veteran striker Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres leave Flick with a reshaped attacking unit.

Barcelona have been prolific going forward but vulnerable at the back since Flick arrived in 2024, and the club hopes the arrival of World Cup winner Rodri can help address the latter.

The Spain captain was a market opportunity Barcelona were reluctant to pass up, particularly with Real Madrid also linked with the 30-year-old holding midfielder before his move to Catalonia.

Rodri brings not only control and defensive protection but also the experience of winning the biggest trophies in club football, qualities Barcelona hope can help them claim a first European crown since 2015.

"I'm here to compete for everything, for big things like the Champions League," said Rodri after his presentation.

Achieving a third consecutive Liga title is a challenge in itself, particularly with Real Madrid strengthening heavily in the transfer market and turning back to Portuguese veteran Mourinho.

Barcelona have established a domestic advantage over their great rivals in recent seasons, but Mourinho's arrival adds fuel to the fire of a rivalry he helped turn particularly bitter during his first spell in Madrid, between 2010-2013.

For Flick, the wily Mourinho represents a different kind of challenge.

The German has generally had few problems with opposing coaches during his time in Spain, but Mourinho is an expert at piling pressure on his rivals.

- Striker vacancy -

Former Germany and Bayern boss Flick will also have to rebuild an attack that has been one of the team's greatest strengths.

New arrivals Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi appear well suited to the German's high-intensity approach, with both offering the pace and work rate required to lead Barcelona's aggressive pressing game.

However, the key question is whether sporting director Deco can land a center-forward before the transfer window closes.

Barca's attempt to sign Julian Alvarez splintered on the rocks of Atletico Madrid's resolve, leaving Flick without an obvious replacement for Lewandowski.

"What Ferran did we can cover with the signings, but what Robert did is more difficult," said Deco.

"We have internal solutions but we will make another move, we'll try and find the best solution."

Barcelona could opt for a cheaper attacker and preserve their spending power for next summer, particularly after making pricy moves for Rodri and Gordon.

Dani Olmo, Raphinha, Gordon and Adeyemi can all operate as false nines, giving Flick different ways to compensate for the absence of a traditional striker, if the club do not get a deal over the line.

Above all, Barcelona will hope teenage sensation Lamine Yamal can remain in his extraordinary form and enjoy a full season at the top of his game after injuries and other concerns disrupted the early months of his previous campaign.

At just 19, Yamal is already the crucial figure in Barcelona's attack and the player around whom the club's ambitions are built.

If Rodri can provide greater stability behind him and Flick finds enough goals across a reshaped attack, Barcelona have the tools they need to retain their Liga crown.

With Mourinho back in the Spanish capital the domestic race promises to be more fiercely contested though, and with the Champions League a key goal for Barca, Los Blancos are aiming to capitalize.