United’s Carrick Gets Early Reality Check at Hull

Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick reacts after losing the English Premier League match Hull City against Manchester United, in Hull, Britain, 22 August 2026. (EPA)
Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick reacts after losing the English Premier League match Hull City against Manchester United, in Hull, Britain, 22 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

United’s Carrick Gets Early Reality Check at Hull

Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick reacts after losing the English Premier League match Hull City against Manchester United, in Hull, Britain, 22 August 2026. (EPA)
Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick reacts after losing the English Premier League match Hull City against Manchester United, in Hull, Britain, 22 August 2026. (EPA)

Manchester United arrived in Hull on Saturday riding a wave of optimism that had not washed over Old Trafford for years. They departed the east coast after a shock Premier League defeat that left manager Michael Carrick with uncomfortable questions to answer.

The 2-0 defeat by promoted Hull City was only one game, but it felt like a sudden cold shower after eight months of sunshine.

Since replacing Ruben Amorim in January, Carrick had overseen a revival, dragging a confidence-starved team from mid-table obscurity to a third-place finish.

United collected 39 points from 17 league games under their new manager, more than any other side in that span.

Carrick brought clarity, confidence and attacking intent, while signings including Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos -- with Brighton's Carlos Baleba on the way -- ‌strengthened the feeling ‌that United might finally be ready to rejoin the league's elite after ‌13 ⁠years without a ⁠title.

Hull shredded those dreams for an afternoon.

"Obviously, bits to improve on," Carrick told TNT Sports. "It was never going to be perfect today, but going behind and giving ourselves a lot to do makes it more difficult.

"Probably a typical one of those games with a newly promoted team at home. We can't give them much, they've got a lot to hold on to, and then after (their two goals), we had moments, we had opportunities.

"We just didn't have that spark to then put the chances away or create any more. So yeah, listen, we're ⁠bitterly disappointed with the result today, but it won't it won't knock us."

ORANGE ‌SMOKE

Plumes of orange smoke exploded above the MKM Stadium before ‌kickoff and black-and-orange scarves twirled in celebration of the Tigers' return to the top flight after nine years away.

By halftime, ‌the party was in full swing. Hull were quicker, stronger and more dangerous than their visitors, ‌racing into a two-goal lead through Semi Ajayi and Nobel Mendy as United twice crumbled at set-pieces.

United finished with 72% possession, but it felt like possession without purpose. Center-back Harry Maguire was among their most threatening attacking outlets.

Bryan Mbeumo forced one of the few meaningful saves from Konstantinos Tzolakis, but Hull's goalkeeper was otherwise little more than a ‌spectator.

Even Marcus Rashford's long-awaited return could not spark a comeback. Making his first United appearance since December 2024 after his exile under Amorim and loan ⁠spells at Aston Villa and ⁠Barcelona, Rashford showed flashes of sharpness but received precious little service.

"I'm not going into areas now (that need improvement)," Carrick said. "It's for us to know. He'll keep improving through the week and through the games, and when we keep getting stronger as a group, that will come. Today is a game we can't ignore. We have a lot to learn from it. But we will."

As Hull fans taunted the away support with chants of "You're getting mauled by the Tigers", the humiliation was complete.

When the stadium announcer informed United's travelling fans that two trains back to Manchester had been cancelled, home fans quickly found a punchline. "You're going home in a taxi."

For Hull, it was a first league victory over United in 52 years. For Carrick, it was a reminder that momentum is fragile.

"It is one game. First game of the season. It is disappointing enough, it hurts, of course it does," he said. "But it doesn't change the whole course of direction the team is going in or the football club. We will stay calm, stay in the bubble and focus on next week."



Serena Williams Will Play Mixed Doubles with Carlos Alcaraz in Her Return to the US Open

Serena Williams of the United States plays Marta Kostyuk of Czechia and Peyton Stearns of the United States with Venus Williams of the United States during day seven of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 17, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
Serena Williams of the United States plays Marta Kostyuk of Czechia and Peyton Stearns of the United States with Venus Williams of the United States during day seven of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 17, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Serena Williams Will Play Mixed Doubles with Carlos Alcaraz in Her Return to the US Open

Serena Williams of the United States plays Marta Kostyuk of Czechia and Peyton Stearns of the United States with Venus Williams of the United States during day seven of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 17, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
Serena Williams of the United States plays Marta Kostyuk of Czechia and Peyton Stearns of the United States with Venus Williams of the United States during day seven of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 17, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)

Serena Williams will team up with Carlos Alcaraz to create a powerhouse mixed doubles pair in her return to the US Open.

The US Tennis Association announced Saturday that Williams and Alcaraz had been given a wild card into the tournament. The mixed doubles main draw begins Tuesday, with the winning team sharing $1 million.

It will be Williams' first time playing at the US Open since 2022. The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion returned to tennis this summer.

“Let’s gooooo!” Alcaraz posted on X, with a fire emoji and tagging Williams.

Williams is not planning to play singles in New York. The USTA had been holding one women's wild card, presumably in case Williams wanted it. However, the tournament announced Saturday that it had been given to American Sofia Kenin, the 2020 Australian Open champion.

Williams played singles at Wimbledon but sustained a knee injury in her first-round loss. She played doubles with older sister Venus at the Cincinnati Open, and they could still opt to play together at the US Open.

Alcaraz announced this week he would return to defend his US Open singles title after being sidelined since April with a right wrist injury.

Serena Williams won a mixed doubles title at the US Open even before winning any of her six singles titles there. She teamed for the 1998 championship with Max Mirnyi, who now works with top-ranked woman Aryna Sabalenka.

The mixed doubles tournament is far different now, as the USTA revamped it last year to make it a two-day, 16-team event it hoped would draw top singles players.

Few are bigger than Williams and Alcaraz, the two-time US Open men's champion who is ranked No. 2.

The USTA also announced a number of updates to the field after some players withdrew from the competition.

Americans Jessica Pegula and Taylor Fritz will team up, after their previous partners, Jack Draper and Elena Rybakina, pulled out with injuries. The teams of Emma Navarro and Tommy Paul, along with Karolina Muchova and Jakub Mensik, were given the remaining two wild cards into the main draw.

Also, Diana Shnaider remains in the field and will be given a chance to find a new partner after Daniil Medvedev withdrew.

The current field:

Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic, Pegula and Fritz, Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud, Belinda Bencic and Flavio Cobolli, Amanda Anisimova and Learner Tien, two-time defending champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori, Alex Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime, Leylah Fernandez and Frances Tiafoe, Taylor Townsend and Alexander Zverev, Elina Svitolina and Gael Monfils, Williams and Alcaraz, Muchova and Mensik, and Navarro and Paul.

The remaining two spots will be determined through an eight-team qualifying tournament Monday. The USTA gave wild cards to the teams of Mirra Andreeva and Andrey Rublev, and Peyton Stearns and Christian Harrison, to be part of that field. It is otherwise largely made up of the traditional doubles specialists who lost out on the chance to play in the US Open last year, with direct entry based on the players' combined singles ranking.


Mercedes Driver George Russell Wins Dutch GP Sprint Race

 Mercedes' British driver George Russell gestures as he celebrates after winning the sprint race ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 22, 2026. (AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gestures as he celebrates after winning the sprint race ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 22, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Mercedes Driver George Russell Wins Dutch GP Sprint Race

 Mercedes' British driver George Russell gestures as he celebrates after winning the sprint race ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 22, 2026. (AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gestures as he celebrates after winning the sprint race ahead of the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix at the Circuit Zandvoort, western Netherlands, on August 22, 2026. (AFP)

Mercedes driver George Russell powered to victory in the Dutch Grand Prix sprint race Saturday, making the most of his pole position to claw back some ground on teammate Kimi Antonelli in the driver's championship.

Russell got away cleanly at lights out and never looked challenged over the 24-lap sprint race, outpacing Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, who finished second, by 1.36 seconds.

Leclerc's battle with current world champion Lando Norris was the highlight of the race, the Ferrari overhauling the McLaren in a thrilling overtake on the straight in the 18th lap.

Norris, who complained of problems with the rear of his McLaren, came in third, just managing to hold off teenage sensation Antonelli.

Antonelli started fifth on the grid after running into the gravel during qualifying and damaging the floor of his Mercedes.

He did manage to jump McLaren's Oscar Piastri at the start to gain a place, coming in fourth with the Australian finishing fifth.

Home favorite Max Verstappen, on a high after extending his Red Bull contract until 2030, failed to improve on his grid place, ending up sixth.

He had an enjoyable tussle with seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, the battle between two legends of the sport exciting the Zandvoort crowd.


Liverpool, Man City Face Questions in New Era without Salah, Guardiola

Football - Pre-Season Friendly - Liverpool v Como - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - August 16, 2026 Liverpool coach Andoni Iraola gives instructions to his players during the match. (Reuters)
Football - Pre-Season Friendly - Liverpool v Como - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - August 16, 2026 Liverpool coach Andoni Iraola gives instructions to his players during the match. (Reuters)
TT

Liverpool, Man City Face Questions in New Era without Salah, Guardiola

Football - Pre-Season Friendly - Liverpool v Como - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - August 16, 2026 Liverpool coach Andoni Iraola gives instructions to his players during the match. (Reuters)
Football - Pre-Season Friendly - Liverpool v Como - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - August 16, 2026 Liverpool coach Andoni Iraola gives instructions to his players during the match. (Reuters)

Mohamed Salah and Pep Guardiola are two of the most iconic figures in Premier League history -- how Liverpool and Manchester City cope without them will define their seasons.

For the first time since 2016, Liverpool kick off a campaign without Egypt forward Salah as their talisman, while City can no longer rely on Guardiola's managerial genius to inspire them after a glorious decade.

Salah joined Turkish club Trabzonspor earlier in August, ending the Anfield career of one of the greatest players in Liverpool's illustrious history.

Guardiola resigned at the conclusion of last season, bringing the curtain down on the most successful period in City's history.

Now Liverpool and City launch new eras without them as the Premier League season gets underway.

City host Bournemouth on Sunday in Enzo Maresca's first league game as Guardiola's successor.

Just a few hours later, Liverpool's new manager Andoni Iraola will pick a team shorn of Salah when the Reds travel to Newcastle.

The uncertainty over the prospects of both City and Liverpool this season is a reflection not only on the loss of Guardiola and Salah, but also the turbulence that preceded their emotional farewells in May.

Guardiola won six Premier League titles and the club's first Champions League crown among a remarkable 20 trophies after taking charge in 2016.

The 55-year-old lifted the FA Cup and League Cup in his last season, but he exited with City removed from their perch as England's pre-eminent force after failing to win the title in his final two years.

Guardiola admitted he struggled to generate the energy required to lead City's fight against Arsenal last term, with the Gunners eventually finishing seven points clear as they clinched the title.

The departure of his trusted director of football Txiki Begiristain in 2025 left Guardiola lamenting "a part of me is leaving".

With City also fighting against Football Association charges relating to alleged financial breaches -- a protracted saga that still doesn't have a resolution -- Guardiola felt he must remain loyal to the club.

But he looked increasingly fatigued by the strain of rebuilding a squad in need of new blood after the departures of several stalwarts, including Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson, Kyle Walker and Riyad Mahrez in recent years.

- 'Generational talent' -

City's expensively assembled rebuild has been only a partial success, leaving former Chelsea boss Maresca with a daunting task to follow in Guardiola's footsteps.

The Italian knows City well after working as Guardiola's assistant in their treble-winning 2022-23 season.

But Maresca has only limited managerial experience after less than two seasons at Chelsea, a year in the second tier with Leicester and a brief stint at Parma.

The 46-year-old's sparse CV is a far cry from Guardiola's trophy-filled time at Barcelona and Bayern Munich before his move to Manchester.

Just 35 miles down the East Lancashire Road, Liverpool are also taking tentative steps into season one of their post-Salah story.

When Salah joined Liverpool from Roma for £36 million in 2017, few would have predicted the success that followed.

Salah had flopped during a spell at Chelsea, but he was an immediate hit on Merseyside.

The 34-year-old amassed 257 goals for Liverpool in 442 appearances in all competitions, making him the third top goalscorer in the club's history.

He produced countless magical moments while winning two Premier League titles, a Champions League and the FA Cup and League Cup.

But the denouement to Salah's Liverpool career was ugly.

He was dropped several times by Arne Slot last season and accused the club of throwing him "under the bus".

Salah's rift with Slot was never fully healed and he scored just seven league goals as Liverpool finished fifth prior to the Dutch coach's sacking.

Replacing a generational talent of Salah's status will take more than one player.

Iraola will hope Sweden striker Alexander Isak is much improved after an injury-plagued first season at Anfield, while new signing Victor Munoz and teenager Rio Ngumoha have great expectations.

But no matter how hard they try, neither Liverpool or City will ever be quite the same without their era-defining icons.