Soccer Players Demand Change for Rampant Online Racist Abuse, Turn to AI for Protection 

Former soccer player Mark Bright speaks to Associated Press during an interview in London, Wednesday, May 3, 2023. (AP)
Former soccer player Mark Bright speaks to Associated Press during an interview in London, Wednesday, May 3, 2023. (AP)
TT

Soccer Players Demand Change for Rampant Online Racist Abuse, Turn to AI for Protection 

Former soccer player Mark Bright speaks to Associated Press during an interview in London, Wednesday, May 3, 2023. (AP)
Former soccer player Mark Bright speaks to Associated Press during an interview in London, Wednesday, May 3, 2023. (AP)

Missing penalties in a major international soccer final was bad enough for three Black players on England’s national team. Being subjected to a torrent of racial abuse on social media in the aftermath made it worse.

Monkey emojis. Being told to go home. The N-word.

The even sadder part? Everyone saw it coming.

“It’s stupid,” said Nedum Onuoha, a retired Black player who was in the top divisions of English and US soccer for 16 years. “But are we surprised?”

It’s the latest form of racism: technology-fueled, visual, permanently intrusive and 24/7 — a haunting reminder of the 1980s-style monkey chants and banana-throwing in a social media era.

And it is spiraling out of control on platforms where anonymity is the golden ticket for racists.

“Every time it happens, it knocks you back and floors you,” Onuoha told The Associated Press. “Just when you think everything is OK, it’s a reminder that it’s not. It’s a reminder of how some people actually see you.”

Racism is the predominant form of abuse on social media reported to Kick It Out, an anti-discrimination campaigner in soccer, according to statistics compiled over the past three seasons in English soccer.

A report last year from FIFA, the governing body of world soccer, showed that more than 50% of players competing in two international tournaments in 2021 — the African Cup of Nations and the European Championship — received some form of discriminatory abuse in more than 400,000 posts on social media. More than a third were racist.

The problem is, there’s barely any accountability and it’s so easy. Pull out your phone, find the handle of the player you want to abuse, and fire off a racist message.

Former Premier League striker Mark Bright, who is Black and regularly suffered racial abuse inside stadiums in the 1980s, was exchanging messages with friends when those three Black players for England — Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho — missed penalties in a shootout loss to Italy in the 2020 European Championship final.

“We all messaged each other and said, ‘Oh God, here we go,’” Bright said. “This is where, once again, you say, ‘What can be done about it?’”

Largely speaking, the abuse hasn’t stopped Black players from using social media. It's an essential marketing tool, leading to the paradox of soccer players using the same platforms on which they are abused.

Kylian Mbappe, who has 104 million followers on Instagram and more than 12 million on Twitter, was subjected to racial abuse along with fellow Black teammate Kingsley Coman after their French national team lost in the 2022 World Cup final to Argentina.

Real Madrid winger Vinícius Júnior, who has repeatedly been the target of racial insults, is followed by 38 million people on Instagram and nearly 7 million on Twitter.

Saka, who has more than 1 million Twitter followers, remains on social media despite the abuse after England’s Euro 2020 loss and more just weeks ago, when a message posted on Twitter showed the Arsenal winger with his face made to look like a monkey, alongside the words: “This clown has cost us the league.” Minutes before the message, Saka had missed a penalty in an important Premier League game.

With social media continuing to fuel abuse, players and teams are coming up with ways to raise awareness and reduce exposure to offensive users.

GoBubble configures AI software to act as a filter to stop discriminatory comments from being seen by a social media user. Customers include the Premier League down to the fourth division in English soccer, and teams around Europe and Australia.

“Yes, tech has caused the issue,” GoBubble founder Henry Platten told the AP, “but tech can actually solve the issue.”

During last year’s World Cup, FIFA and players’ union FIFPRO had a dedicated in-tournament service that prevented hate speech from being seen online by players and their followers. It will be offered for the upcoming Women’s World Cup.

Soccer authorities in England led a four-day social media boycott in 2021 across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to protest racist abuse. It was adopted by other sports in England, and by FIFA and UEFA, the governing body of European soccer.

Still, the abuse continues. Platforms have been accused of being too slow to block racist posts, remove offenders’ accounts, and improve their verification process to ensure users are barred from registering with a new account if banned.

“No one should have to experience racist abuse, and we don’t want it on our apps,” Meta, which owns Instagram and Facebook, said in a statement to the AP. “We take action whenever we find it and we’ve launched several ways to help protect people from having to see it in the first place.”

That includes “Hidden Words,” which filters offensive comments and direct messages and is on by default for creator accounts, and “Limits,” which hides comments and DMs from people who don’t follow you or only followed you recently, the statement said.

Twitter responded with an automated reply of a poop emoji when the AP reached out for comment.

Some teams and athletes are choosing alternative platforms to promote not just themselves but more ethical behavior online.

These include Striver, backed by Roberto Carlos and Gilberto Silva — both World Cup winners with Brazil in 2002. And PixStory, with nearly 1 million users, which ranks them according to the integrity of their posts and aims to create “clean social.”

England’s Arsenal club, Italy’s Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain’s women’s team are collaborating with PixStory, whose founder, Appu Esthose Suresh, says teams and athletes are in a “Catch-22 situation.”

“They want to live in this space because it’s a way to reach out and interact with their fans, but there’s not enough safety,” Suresh told the AP.

Last month, the European Union clinched an agreement in principle on the Digital Services Act, to force big tech companies to better protect European users from harmful online content or face billions of dollars in fines. In Britain, the government has proposed the Online Safety Bill, with potential fines of 10% of the platforms’ annual global turnover.

Onuoha welcomed these developments but he’s still keeping his social media accounts on a private setting.

“There will be lots of good people who won’t be able to connect with me but it’s a consequence of not having enough trust and faith in enough good people being allowed to enter the account,” he said.



FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.


Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
TT

Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)

Arsenal must banish their untimely bout of title race anxiety as the wobbling Premier League leaders head to Tottenham for the north London derby.

Manchester City can pile pressure on the Gunners with a win against Newcastle, while Michael Carrick heads to Everton aiming to bolster his bid to become Manchester United's permanent manager.

AFP Sport looks at three talking points ahead of this weekend's action:

Saka expects Arsenal to hit back

Defiant Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka is adamant his side will eventually "get over the line" and end their trophy drought.

Mikel Arteta's men are in danger of blowing a commanding position in the title race after successive draws against Brentford and Wolves left them with just two wins in their last seven league matches.

The Gunners squandered the lead in both matches, with Wednesday's 2-2 draw at bottom of the table Wolves especially galling as they conceded a stoppage-time equalizer having led 2-0.

Arsenal are five points clear of second-placed Manchester City, but Pep Guardiola's team have a game in hand and will host the leaders in April.

After allowing City to overhaul them in the 2023 and 2024 title races, the north Londoners, who haven't won silverware since the 2020 FA Cup, face pointed questions about their ability to handle the mounting tension.

Saka knows Arsenal must silence the doubters by getting back on track at arch rivals Tottenham on Sunday.

"I believe the next few years are going to be the years that we get over the line, and we're able to win trophies and make history for this club," Saka said.

"We're back where we belong, fighting for everything."

Man City 'on the hunt'

Tijjani Reijnders has warned Arsenal that Manchester City are primed to pounce after the leaders allowed them back into the title race.

Victories over Liverpool and Fulham have put City in position to capitalize on Arsenal's slump.

Pep Guardiola's side will move two points behind Arsenal if they beat Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, putting extra heat on the leaders before the north London derby 24 hours later.

"The mood's been good, but it was also good before. Of course we've dropped some points as well, but it's good and we are on the hunt and we keep going," Reijnders said.

"We have to see of course, but if we keep going like this, who knows?"

Carrick has Man Utd on the rise

Wayne Rooney has backed Manchester United interim manager Michael Carrick to take the job on a permanent basis.

Former United midfielder Carrick was appointed until the end of the season after Ruben Amorim's sacking in January.

He made a dream start as United beat Manchester City 2-0 in his first game in charge and followed up with a 3-2 win at Arsenal.

Four wins and a draw in his first five games at the helm have lifted United into fourth place ahead of their trip to Everton on Monday.

Rooney, United's all-time leading goalscorer, believes his former team-mate could be the one to finally stabilize a troubled club that hasn't won the title since 2013.

"We've been there and tried different managers - (Jose) Mourinho, (Louis) van Gaal, (Erik) ten Hag and (Ruben) Amorim - and for me Carrick makes sense," Rooney told The Overlap.

"Having someone there who knows the club and cares for the club makes a big difference. Michael is managing the whole squad and managing them well."


Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
TT

Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)

Since Hansi Flick arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2024 things have largely gone better than even he might have hoped, at least until the past week.

Revitalizing the Catalan giants and inspiring them to a domestic treble last season, as well as steering them to the final four of the Champions League for the first time in six years was an excellent accomplishment.

The current campaign has been a bumpier ride, in part due to injury problems, but Barca were still going strong until two consecutive defeats sapped morale as the business end of the season approaches.

Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou in La Liga as they aim to get back on track and potentially reclaim top spot from rivals Real Madrid, who visit Osasuna on Saturday.

Los Blancos moved two points ahead of Barca last weekend and stayed there as Flick's side crumbled in a 2-1 defeat at neighbors Girona on Monday.

That was hot on the heels of a 4-0 humiliation by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg, arguably Barca's worst performance since Flick's arrival.

Barca protested officiating mistakes in both games, and although the refereeing technical committee later admitted some fault, it does not absolve the Blaugrana of two worrying displays.

"We are not in a good mood, not in a good moment," admitted Flick.

"I gave the team two days off, because I think it's important that they reset."

The coach said his side, who hope to have playmaker Pedri Gonzalez back in action against Levante after injury, may be tired but also needed to buck up their ideas.

"(Mistakes) could be something to do with if they are tired, not fresh enough... but at the end we have to have the hunger to win the games," said Flick.

"When they come back I want another mentality, another level, they (must) train and play at."

Since Flick arrived Barca have played an ultra-attacking style with a high defensive line, leading to a lot of high-scoring games.

However, with the injuries they have had this season, perhaps partly due to wear-and-tear due to Flick's demands over pressing, they are creating less and finishing more inefficiently.

Both central strikers, Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, are out of form in 2026.

The defense, meanwhile, is as porous as ever and with Pedri missing eight of the last 14 league games, they have struggled for control in midfield.

Flick's recent comments about not adjusting his approach regardless of the opponent Barca face are cause for concern.

"I don't take care if (the opponents) play five at the back or if they have a fast striker. We have the quality and this is what I want to see," said Flick last week, although recent results suggest perhaps he should look to tweak things more reactively.

Against Atletico the pace of wingers Ademola Lookman and Giuliano Simeone helped rip Barca's defense to shreds.

Although Barca are firm favorites against Levante, 19th, the trio of games which follow, leading into the Champions League last 16, are key to stopping the season from spiraling away from them.

They next host high-flying Villarreal, before the Copa semi second leg against Atletico and a tricky visit to the San Mames to play Athletic Bilbao.