Khachanov Withdraws from Wimbledon with Stress Fracture in Back

Russia's Karen Khachanov serves to Serbia's Novak Djokovic during their men's singles quarter final match on day ten of the Roland-Garros Open tennis tournament at the Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris on June 6, 2023. (AFP)
Russia's Karen Khachanov serves to Serbia's Novak Djokovic during their men's singles quarter final match on day ten of the Roland-Garros Open tennis tournament at the Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris on June 6, 2023. (AFP)
TT
20

Khachanov Withdraws from Wimbledon with Stress Fracture in Back

Russia's Karen Khachanov serves to Serbia's Novak Djokovic during their men's singles quarter final match on day ten of the Roland-Garros Open tennis tournament at the Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris on June 6, 2023. (AFP)
Russia's Karen Khachanov serves to Serbia's Novak Djokovic during their men's singles quarter final match on day ten of the Roland-Garros Open tennis tournament at the Court Philippe-Chatrier in Paris on June 6, 2023. (AFP)

Karen Khachanov has been forced to withdraw from the Wimbledon Championships next month after the Russian said on Friday he had suffered a stress fracture in his back at the French Open.

Ranked number 11 in the world, Khachanov reached the quarter-finals at Roland Garros where he took a set off Novak Djokovic before losing to the Serbian who eventually won the title.

The 27-year-old Russian was one of the in-form players at Grand Slams in the past 12 months having also reached the semi-finals of the US Open last year and the Australian Open in January.

"Due to an unfortunate injury I picked up at the French Open(stress fracture and a partial fracture in sacrum S1 bone), I will not be able to participate at Wimbledon for the second year in a row," Khachanov said on Instagram.

"The decision to withdraw was not an easy one and I was hopping till the end during these few weeks that I would be able to recover, however my medical team ensured me that in my case it wasn't possible."

Khachanov was unable to play at Wimbledon last year due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players. The ban was lifted for this year's Championships with players from both countries allowed to compete as "neutrals".

The Wimbledon Championships begin on July 3.



Messi's Bodyguard Banned from Touchline at Inter Miami Games

Soccer Football - Friendly - Hong Kong v Inter Miami - Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong - February 4, 2024 Inter Miami's Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and teammates sit on the substitute bench during the match as Lionel Messi security guard Yassine Cheuko looks on REUTERS/Lam Yik/File Photo
Soccer Football - Friendly - Hong Kong v Inter Miami - Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong - February 4, 2024 Inter Miami's Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and teammates sit on the substitute bench during the match as Lionel Messi security guard Yassine Cheuko looks on REUTERS/Lam Yik/File Photo
TT
20

Messi's Bodyguard Banned from Touchline at Inter Miami Games

Soccer Football - Friendly - Hong Kong v Inter Miami - Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong - February 4, 2024 Inter Miami's Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and teammates sit on the substitute bench during the match as Lionel Messi security guard Yassine Cheuko looks on REUTERS/Lam Yik/File Photo
Soccer Football - Friendly - Hong Kong v Inter Miami - Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong - February 4, 2024 Inter Miami's Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and teammates sit on the substitute bench during the match as Lionel Messi security guard Yassine Cheuko looks on REUTERS/Lam Yik/File Photo

Lionel Messi's bodyguard Yassine Cheuko has been banned from protecting the Argentine forward from the touchline during Inter Miami matches.

The former Navy SEAL gained widespread recognition after social media videos showed him closely watching the crowd to stop potential pitch invaders from harming the eight-times Ballon d'Or winner, Reuters reported.

Major League Soccer has now decided to take full control of matchday security and Cheuko will only be permitted in the locker room and mixed zones.

"They don't allow me to be on the field anymore," the bodyguard told Spanish media.

"I was in Europe for seven years, working for Ligue 1 and the Champions League, and only six people invaded the pitch. I came to the USA and in just 20 months 16 people have already done so. There's a huge problem here, let me help Messi."