Mancini Announces Surprise Resignation as Italy Coach after Up-and-Down Tenure

 Italy's manager Roberto Mancini walks on the pitch after defeating England at the Euro 2020 soccer championship final at Wembley stadium in London, Sunday, July 11, 2021. (AP)
Italy's manager Roberto Mancini walks on the pitch after defeating England at the Euro 2020 soccer championship final at Wembley stadium in London, Sunday, July 11, 2021. (AP)
TT

Mancini Announces Surprise Resignation as Italy Coach after Up-and-Down Tenure

 Italy's manager Roberto Mancini walks on the pitch after defeating England at the Euro 2020 soccer championship final at Wembley stadium in London, Sunday, July 11, 2021. (AP)
Italy's manager Roberto Mancini walks on the pitch after defeating England at the Euro 2020 soccer championship final at Wembley stadium in London, Sunday, July 11, 2021. (AP)

Italy coach Roberto Mancini surprisingly resigned on Sunday, ending an up-and-down tenure with the national team that included a European Championship title in 2021 but also a failed qualification for last year’s World Cup.

The Italian soccer federation issued a short announcement saying that Mancini communicated his resignation “late last night,” adding that a new coach would be named “over the next days.”

The federation doesn’t have much time with Euro 2024 qualifying matches against North Macedonia and Ukraine scheduled for Sept. 9 and 12, respectively.

Former Italy coach Antonio Conte, who left Tottenham in March, and Luciano Spalletti, who led Napoli to the Serie A title last season and said he wants to take a sabbatical this season, are among those being mentioned as a possible replacement.

Only nine days ago, the federation had announced that Mancini was being given the added responsibility of overseeing the under-20 and under-21 teams, too. He was under contract through the 2026 World Cup.

“It’s a bit surprising. Nobody expected it,” Renzo Ulivieri, the president of Italy’s coaches association, told the LaPresse news agency. “Nothing can be said until the reasons behind the resignation are known. It’s useless to say anything without knowing that.

“I’m sorry that he’s left. He did a good job despite those last things,” Ulivieri added, referring to the failed World Cup qualification.

Mancini was hired in May 2018 to revive the Azzurri after they also failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup under predecessor Gian Piero Ventura. And he did by adding flair and youth to a team that won admirers all over the continent during the year-delayed Euro 2020.

Mancini was hailed for his vision when he called up then-Roma forward Nicolò Zaniolo before he had ever played in Serie A, but he also struggled to find top players from the Italian league, which has been hesitant to use young players at times.

A 1-0 semifinal playoff loss to 67th-ranked North Macedonia at home last year meant that the Azzurri missed the World Cup in Qatar.

It's also been an emotional time for Mancini, who lost his good friend, former teammate and national team delegation chief Gianluca Vialli to pancreatic cancer in January. Vialli was 58.

Siniša Mihajlović, another of Mancini's former teammates and then a fellow coach, died three weeks before Vialli following a long battle with leukemia. He was 53.

It’s unclear what’s next for the 58-year-old Mancini, who was a leading club coach before taking over the national team, having won league titles at both Inter Milan and Manchester City.

Mancini was also a standout player for Sampdoria, Lazio and Italy.

Mancini’s exit puts the federation in complete rebuilding mode, with women’s coach Milena Bertolini having also announced her resignation after the Azzurre failed to advance from the Women’s World Cup group stage.

Mancini’s last match in charge was a 3-2 win over the host Netherlands in the Nations League final four third-place match on June 18.

Having lost its opening Euro 2024 qualifier to England, Italy is also facing an uphill battle to qualify for next year's tournament in Germany.



Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
TT

Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)

Nottingham Forest's new head ‌coach Vitor Pereira said he had encouraged his players to express themselves at Fenerbahce on Thursday and they responded in style with a 3-0 victory that marked their biggest away win in European competition.

The comfortable win in the first leg of their Europa League knockout round playoff tie in Turkey was the perfect start for Pereira, who took the ‌helm last ‌weekend following the departure of ‌Sean ⁠Dyche.

Goals from Murillo, ⁠Igor Jesus and Morgan Gibbs-White secured the win but the scoreline could have been even more emphatic.

"We had chance to score two more goals. It was a very good result," Portuguese Pereira told TNT Sports, according to Reuters. "It is only ⁠halftime, we need to be consistent, ‌the schedule is ‌tight and difficult."

Pereira is Forest's fourth managerial appointment this ‌season after Nuno Espirito Santo, Ange Postecoglou ‌and Dyche, and the 57-year-old arrives with the side just three points above the Premier League relegation zone.

"Everyone must be ready to help the ‌team. This is what I ask them," said Pereira. "I realized before I ⁠came that ⁠the players have a lot of quality. They need results but they need to enjoy the game.

"If they enjoy the way they are playing they can have a high level. They need organization and confidence. I asked them to express themselves on the pitch. They did it."

Forest host Liverpool in the league on Sunday before Fenerbahce arrive for the second leg of their Europa League tie on February 26.


FIFA President: All 104 World Cup Matches Will be 'Sold Out'

FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
TT

FIFA President: All 104 World Cup Matches Will be 'Sold Out'

FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said all 104 matches of ‌the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out" despite tickets available for the tournament running from June 11 to July 19.

"The demand is there. Every match is sold out," Infantino told CNBC in an interview Wednesday from US President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla.

Infantino said there had been 508 million ticket requests in four weeks from more than 200 countries for about seven million available tickets.

"(We've) never see anything like that -- incredible," he said.

The 48-team World Cup is taking place across 16 host cities in the United States, Mexico and Canada, with MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., as the site ‌of the ‌World Cup final.

The head of the sport's governing ‌body ⁠said that tournament ⁠locations contribute to what soccer supporters' associations have complained are exorbitant ticket prices.

"I think it is because it's in America, Canada and Mexico," he said. "Everybody wants to be part of something special."

Also affecting prices are resale websites, which take the official ticket that has a fixed price and use "dynamic pricing" leading to the cost to fluctuate.

"You are able as well to resell your tickets ⁠on official platforms, secondary markets, so the prices as ‌well will go up," Reuters quoted Infantino as saying. "That's part ‌of the market we are in."

A report in the Straits Times said that a ‌Category 3 seat -- the highest section in the stadium -- for Mexico's match ‌against South Africa in the tournament opener on June 11 in Mexico City was listed at $5,324 in the secondary market. The original price was $895.

The same seat category for the World Cup final on July 19, originally priced at $3,450, was advertised for $143,750 on ‌Feb. 11, per the report.

In December, FIFA designated "supporter entry tier" tickets with a $60 price to be allocated to ⁠the national federations ⁠whose teams are playing. Those federations are expected to make those tickets available "to loyal fans who are closely connected to their national teams," FIFA said in a press release.

The last time the US served as a World Cup host in 1994, tickets ranged from $25 to $475. At the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, prices ranged from $70 to $1,600 after the matches were announced.

Infantino in his comments this week estimated that the 2026 World Cup will raise $11 billion in revenue for FIFA, with "every dollar" to be reinvested in the sport in the 211 member countries.

He said the economic impact for the United States would be around $30 billion "in terms of tourism, catering, security investments and so on." Infantino also estimated the tournament will attract 20 million to 30 million tourists and


Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.