Goodbye Wahi. Montpellier Turns to 'Jordanian Messi'

FILE - Jordan's midfielder Mousa Al Tamari, left, vies for the ball with Australia's defender Milos Degenek during the AFC Asian Cup group B soccer match between Australia and Jordan at Hazza bin Zayed stadium in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, on Jan. 6, 2019. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar, File)
FILE - Jordan's midfielder Mousa Al Tamari, left, vies for the ball with Australia's defender Milos Degenek during the AFC Asian Cup group B soccer match between Australia and Jordan at Hazza bin Zayed stadium in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, on Jan. 6, 2019. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar, File)
TT

Goodbye Wahi. Montpellier Turns to 'Jordanian Messi'

FILE - Jordan's midfielder Mousa Al Tamari, left, vies for the ball with Australia's defender Milos Degenek during the AFC Asian Cup group B soccer match between Australia and Jordan at Hazza bin Zayed stadium in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, on Jan. 6, 2019. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar, File)
FILE - Jordan's midfielder Mousa Al Tamari, left, vies for the ball with Australia's defender Milos Degenek during the AFC Asian Cup group B soccer match between Australia and Jordan at Hazza bin Zayed stadium in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, on Jan. 6, 2019. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar, File)

The departure of Elye Wahi looked like an omen for struggles to come at Montpellier.
The striker had been piling up goals last season — 19 in 33 French league matches — drawing the interest of some big clubs in Europe before he ultimately joined rival Lens for an estimated 35 million euros ($38 million), the second biggest transfer in league history between two French clubs.
And with forward Stephy Mavididi also leaving, Montpellier seemed in trouble.
But knowing it could not keep the coveted Wahi one more season, Montpellier's scouts had carefully planned their search for a replacement.
Even before Wahi left last week, the family-owned soccer club in southern France signed two low-profile recruits to add spark up front. The moves brought instant rewards, with the pair taking the spotlight the last two weeks in France.

Jordan winger Mousa Al Tamari, who was lured from Belgian club Leuven, and Akor Adams have teamed up to score five goals in Montpellier's opening two games, with the 2012 champions sitting fourth in the standings ahead of Sunday's home game against Reims.

Leader Monaco is at Nantes on Friday, while defending champion Paris Saint-Germain will be looking for a first win this season against Lens on Saturday.

Adams, who joined from Norwegian club Lillestrom, started his French league career with two goals in a 2-2 draw with Le Havre, then added another in a 4-1 rout of Lyon last week when Al Tamari found the target twice.

Al Tamari, the first Jordanian to play in the French league, was nicknamed the “Jordanian Messi” for his technical skills when he played for APOEL Nicosia before his three-year stint in Belgium, The Associated Press reported.

“I like one-on-one play, I dribble well, I’m quick with the ball at my feet,” he told the French league's website. "But I also like combining a lot, playing one-twos and playing well as a team.

Don’t think that I only play on my own side. I’ve sometimes helped out up front, but I’m a wing player. After that, like in Belgium, I can start on the right and work my way back into the middle. But I’ll do what the coach asks me to do, whatever will be most useful for the team.”

Against Lyon, Al Tamari's flair and pace were on display when he netted his first goal after he nutmegged defender Duje Caleta-Car, then doubled his tally with a precise finish.

“I’d like to score more goals and provide more assists. Quite simply, my aim is to do better than I did in Belgium in every area,” he said.

Al Tamari cited the warm welcome he received from his teammates as a crucial reason for his quick adaptation to the French league.

“They’re not just good players, they’re also lads who have done everything to help me from Day 1,” he said. "It’s the opposite of what I experienced when I arrived in Belgium, where it was much colder. Here, everyone comes to talk to me, everyone tries to include me. I’m not alone — they try to make me feel like part of the family. It makes me want to give everything on the field to help the club.”

His coach, Michel Der Zakarian, praises his work ethics and great technique.

“He’s a hard worker and he’s got speed," he said. "He dribbles. He’s quick with and without the ball. He can score and he’s shown it.”

Adams has a much different profile. The powerfully-built striker was hired to play in a pivotal role after a stunning season in Norway when he scored 15 goals in as many league games. Like Al Tamari, he also quickly settled at his new club.

“When you’re a goalscorer, you score,” Der Zakarian said of Adams. "And he showed that he’s capable of doing that.”



Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.