Man United Bars Reporters after Stories about Manager Ten Hag as Problems Mount for Dutchman

Football - Premier League - Newcastle United v Manchester United - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - December 2, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag before the match. (Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Newcastle United v Manchester United - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - December 2, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag before the match. (Reuters)
TT

Man United Bars Reporters after Stories about Manager Ten Hag as Problems Mount for Dutchman

Football - Premier League - Newcastle United v Manchester United - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - December 2, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag before the match. (Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Newcastle United v Manchester United - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - December 2, 2023 Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag before the match. (Reuters)

After reports of player unrest, Manchester United barred journalists from a pre-game news conference with Erik ten Hag on Tuesday as the Dutchman spoke ahead of a latest crunch match for his troubled team.

The United manager had been confronted with stories that his methods had been called into question by sections of the locker room after a 10th defeat of the season against Newcastle last week.

“We’re taking action against a number of news organizations today, not for publishing stories we don’t like, but for doing so without contacting us first to give us the opportunity to comment, challenge or contextualize,” United said in a statement. It did not say how long the ban would last.

The reports claimed there were growing doubts about Ten Hag’s management style as United sit seventh in the Premier League standings and on the brink of Champions League elimination.

But, speaking ahead of Wednesday's game against Chelsea at Old Trafford, the former Ajax coach said his squad remained united.

“You can see you can’t play such great football as we did lately if there is no unity,” Ten Hag said. “We are on a journey, a route, we know we are still in transition, but we are in the right direction.

“You see it how we construct a team, develop it, the team is progressing. How young players (are) coming in and you see the potential how they can contribute to a very successful Manchester United for the future.”

It is the second time in recent weeks United has responded to negative stories about Ten Hag, having last month refuted claims it was considering replacements for the coach.

While there has been no suggestion from the club that his position is in question, reports point to a growing sense of uncertainty as Ten Hag struggles to build on the success of his first season in charge when leading United back to the Champions League and winning the League Cup.

Defeat against Chelsea would raise further doubts about his future, but Ten Hag said he was confident about the team’s progress after winning five out of its last six games in the league before Newcastle.

“Still we are in the ranking. Of course we dropped, but are not too far away so we are OK,” he said.

United turned to Ten Hag after he led Ajax to three Dutch titles and two cups in the space of four seasons.

Since taking over at Old Trafford in July 2022, he has asserted his authority as he has attempted to turn the club's fortunes around.

Cristiano Ronaldo was made to train away from the first team and dropped after heading to the locker room before the final whistle of a match last season. Jadon Sancho is also training away from the first team over a “discipline issue.” The winger claimed on social media that he had been made a “scapegoat” after being cut from United’s squad for its 3-1 loss to Arsenal this season.

On Tuesday Ten Hag suggested he still had the backing of his players.

“Of course there are always, in every team, players who are not playing or less playing who are less happy. That is not different to normal,” he said. “If the players have a different opinion of course I will listen. But they haven’t told me. Or maybe one or two, but it is about in general. The majority, they want to play like this — proactive, dynamic, brave, that is what they want. You can see the players are behind it because of the performances against Everton and Galatasaray. You see that we are really improving.”



Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
TT

Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)

Nottingham Forest's new head ‌coach Vitor Pereira said he had encouraged his players to express themselves at Fenerbahce on Thursday and they responded in style with a 3-0 victory that marked their biggest away win in European competition.

The comfortable win in the first leg of their Europa League knockout round playoff tie in Turkey was the perfect start for Pereira, who took the ‌helm last ‌weekend following the departure of ‌Sean ⁠Dyche.

Goals from Murillo, ⁠Igor Jesus and Morgan Gibbs-White secured the win but the scoreline could have been even more emphatic.

"We had chance to score two more goals. It was a very good result," Portuguese Pereira told TNT Sports, according to Reuters. "It is only ⁠halftime, we need to be consistent, ‌the schedule is ‌tight and difficult."

Pereira is Forest's fourth managerial appointment this ‌season after Nuno Espirito Santo, Ange Postecoglou ‌and Dyche, and the 57-year-old arrives with the side just three points above the Premier League relegation zone.

"Everyone must be ready to help the ‌team. This is what I ask them," said Pereira. "I realized before I ⁠came that ⁠the players have a lot of quality. They need results but they need to enjoy the game.

"If they enjoy the way they are playing they can have a high level. They need organization and confidence. I asked them to express themselves on the pitch. They did it."

Forest host Liverpool in the league on Sunday before Fenerbahce arrive for the second leg of their Europa League tie on February 26.


FIFA President: All 104 World Cup Matches Will be 'Sold Out'

FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
TT

FIFA President: All 104 World Cup Matches Will be 'Sold Out'

FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during a Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said all 104 matches of ‌the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out" despite tickets available for the tournament running from June 11 to July 19.

"The demand is there. Every match is sold out," Infantino told CNBC in an interview Wednesday from US President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla.

Infantino said there had been 508 million ticket requests in four weeks from more than 200 countries for about seven million available tickets.

"(We've) never see anything like that -- incredible," he said.

The 48-team World Cup is taking place across 16 host cities in the United States, Mexico and Canada, with MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., as the site ‌of the ‌World Cup final.

The head of the sport's governing ‌body ⁠said that tournament ⁠locations contribute to what soccer supporters' associations have complained are exorbitant ticket prices.

"I think it is because it's in America, Canada and Mexico," he said. "Everybody wants to be part of something special."

Also affecting prices are resale websites, which take the official ticket that has a fixed price and use "dynamic pricing" leading to the cost to fluctuate.

"You are able as well to resell your tickets ⁠on official platforms, secondary markets, so the prices as ‌well will go up," Reuters quoted Infantino as saying. "That's part ‌of the market we are in."

A report in the Straits Times said that a ‌Category 3 seat -- the highest section in the stadium -- for Mexico's match ‌against South Africa in the tournament opener on June 11 in Mexico City was listed at $5,324 in the secondary market. The original price was $895.

The same seat category for the World Cup final on July 19, originally priced at $3,450, was advertised for $143,750 on ‌Feb. 11, per the report.

In December, FIFA designated "supporter entry tier" tickets with a $60 price to be allocated to ⁠the national federations ⁠whose teams are playing. Those federations are expected to make those tickets available "to loyal fans who are closely connected to their national teams," FIFA said in a press release.

The last time the US served as a World Cup host in 1994, tickets ranged from $25 to $475. At the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, prices ranged from $70 to $1,600 after the matches were announced.

Infantino in his comments this week estimated that the 2026 World Cup will raise $11 billion in revenue for FIFA, with "every dollar" to be reinvested in the sport in the 211 member countries.

He said the economic impact for the United States would be around $30 billion "in terms of tourism, catering, security investments and so on." Infantino also estimated the tournament will attract 20 million to 30 million tourists and


Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.