Rafael Nadal Shows No Sign of Problems with Injured Hip in Exhibition Loss to Carlos Alcaraz 

Rafael Nadal speaks onstage during The Netflix Slam media availability event at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on March 02, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Getty Images/AFP)
Rafael Nadal speaks onstage during The Netflix Slam media availability event at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on March 02, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Rafael Nadal Shows No Sign of Problems with Injured Hip in Exhibition Loss to Carlos Alcaraz 

Rafael Nadal speaks onstage during The Netflix Slam media availability event at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on March 02, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Getty Images/AFP)
Rafael Nadal speaks onstage during The Netflix Slam media availability event at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on March 02, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Getty Images/AFP)

There has been plenty of mystery around Rafael Nadal and his health because he has played just 12 official matches since the 2022 US Open.

The 22-time Grand Slam winner played an unofficial event Sunday, losing to fellow Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz 3-6, 6-4 (14-12) in The Netflix Slam before a sellout crowd of 9,489. The 37-year-old Nadal showed no apparent sign of any issues related to his hip.

Nadal said during a courtside interview with Netflix while up 5-2 in the first set that his performance at that point was “much better than expected.”

The match was also a bit of a physical test for Alcaraz, who injured his right ankle Feb. 20 in the Rio Open. Like Nadal, he didn't show any noticeable signs of being physically limited.

The question facing Nadal now is whether he will be ready for the French Open in May. Nadal has dominated that event like no other, winning the major 14 times.

The match against Alcaraz was an encouraging sign, but Nadal said beforehand he wasn't sure what the future holds at Roland Garros and beyond.

Nadal withdrew from the Australian Open in January after suffering what he called a micro tear on his surgically repaired hip. He later skipped a tournament in Doha, Qatar.

Nadal gets another test at Indian Wells this week. It'll be his first competitive tennis since Melbourne. He was in California preparing for the hard-court event before traveling to Las Vegas to face Alcaraz.

“I need to spend more time on the tour, at least to practice with the professional players even if not playing many official matches,” Nadal said the day before the exhibition. “That's the important thing right now, is to be in rhythm again. I was not able to play the way I expected. I had to pull out from Doha, so let's see.”

Men's tennis is seeing a sort of passing of the torch. Nadal's longtime rival, Roger Federer, took his 20 Grand Slam titles into retirement two years ago. Nadal stayed on tour, but whether he adds to his Grand Slam total is a big question.

Novak Djokovic, who turns 37 in May, could be the only dominant player from that generation to still be near his peak. The world's top-ranked player won three of his 24 career major titles last year.

But there is a younger generation of players coming onto the scene. The 20-year-old Alcaraz already has two major championships. Jannik Sinner, 22, won his first Grand Slam title by taking the Australian, beating Djokovic in the semifinals before rallying from two sets down to defeat former No. 1 Daniil Medvedev.

“I would say the game is in good hands and has been in great hands,” said eight-time major champion Andre Agassi, who was promoting the exhibition in his hometown. “We just watched and will continue to watch probably the greatest generation that certainly has ever played the game and arguably we'd be lucky if we ever anything close again.”

Agassi said he encouraged Alcaraz to learn all he can from Nadal.

“He's a guy you can say over the years has handled himself with class, dignity and also humility,” Agassi said. “It is authentically real. When you talk about the French Open, it is a lifetime away for him right now because all that matters is what he's going to do (Saturday night), what he's going to do (Sunday), what he's going to do every step of his day.”

Alcaraz said he has taken a lot of inspiration from watching Nadal over the years, particularly noting his ability to fight for every point has left an especially lasting impression. That was proven again in the exhibition when Nadal fought off five match points in the super tiebreaker.

“The way that he finds solutions when things are not going well, I think that's incredible,” Alcaraz said. “I would say that's the most I learned from him and I try to put in my own game.”

How much game does Nadal have left?

He's not even sure at this point as one of the greatest careers of all time gets closer to the end.

“It's my body more than anything else because my mind is healthy,” Nadal said. “I have a passion for what I am doing.”



Barcelona Back Top of La Liga with Levante Win

FC Barcelona midfielder Fermin Lopez celebrates after scoring the 3-0 goal during the Spanish LaLiga soccer match between FC Barcelona and Levante UD in Barcelona, Spain, 22 February 2026.  EPA/ALBERTO ESTEVEZ
FC Barcelona midfielder Fermin Lopez celebrates after scoring the 3-0 goal during the Spanish LaLiga soccer match between FC Barcelona and Levante UD in Barcelona, Spain, 22 February 2026. EPA/ALBERTO ESTEVEZ
TT

Barcelona Back Top of La Liga with Levante Win

FC Barcelona midfielder Fermin Lopez celebrates after scoring the 3-0 goal during the Spanish LaLiga soccer match between FC Barcelona and Levante UD in Barcelona, Spain, 22 February 2026.  EPA/ALBERTO ESTEVEZ
FC Barcelona midfielder Fermin Lopez celebrates after scoring the 3-0 goal during the Spanish LaLiga soccer match between FC Barcelona and Levante UD in Barcelona, Spain, 22 February 2026. EPA/ALBERTO ESTEVEZ

Barcelona cruised to a 3-0 victory over Levante to reclaim pole position in La Liga on Sunday.

After Real Madrid fell to a 2-1 defeat at Osasuna on Saturday Hansi Flick's side moved a point clear of their bitter rivals with a comfortable victory at Camp Nou against the team in 19th.

Marc Bernal and Frenkie de Jong gave Barca a commanding first-half lead and Fermin Lopez wrapped up the win with a sensational drive late on.

Barcelona were glad to get back to winning ways after a 4-0 thrashing by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg last week and then a 2-1 defeat by Girona on Monday in La Liga.

Despite Flick's calls for improvement in defence, Barca were as open as ever, although Levante's poor finishing meant they could not capitalize, AFP reported.

Bernal sent Barca ahead after good work by Joao Cancelo, who impressed on a rare start after his arrival on loan in January, and Eric Garcia.

Veteran Polish forward Robert Lewandowski could have doubled Barca's advantage but fired into the ground and over the bar when well placed.

Cancelo hit the post with a cross aimed at Lewandowski, before the Portuguese defender carved out the second for De Jong with a similar ball in from the left.

De Jong delivered the finishing touch to give Barca a two-goal lead at the break.

Garcia should have expanded Barcelona's lead early in the second half but nodded wide from Jules Kounde's tempting cross.

Eventually substitute Lopez got a spectacular third, rattling home a long-range effort in off the post.

The midfielder might have added a fourth late on but Levante goalkeeper Mathew Ryan denied him with a fine reflex save.

Flick was able to bring back midfielder Pedri as a substitute after a month out with a hamstring injury, with the Spaniard likely to be key in the testing weeks ahead.

Earlier Sevilla earned a 1-0 win at Getafe, while third-place Villarreal host Valencia later on.


Bayern to Face Leverkusen in German Cup Semis

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Harry Kane (L) and his teammates thank the fans after the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Harry Kane (L) and his teammates thank the fans after the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
TT

Bayern to Face Leverkusen in German Cup Semis

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Harry Kane (L) and his teammates thank the fans after the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Harry Kane (L) and his teammates thank the fans after the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa

Bayern Munich face a tricky trip to Bayer Leverkusen while holders Stuttgart will host local rivals Freiburg in the semi-finals of the German Cup after Sunday's draw, AFP reported.

Record 20-time winners Bayern made it to the semis this season for the first time since they last lifted the trophy in 2020.

That season, they defeated Leverkusen in the final.

Leverkusen won a league and cup double in 2023-24 and knocked Bayern out of the competition in the last 16 last season.

Stuttgart, who beat third-tier Arminia Bielefeld to win the Cup in May, are four-time winners.

Freiburg, losing finalists to RB Leipzig in 2022, are the only one of the semi-finalists never to have won the trophy.

The semi-finals will take place at the end of April with the final held at Berlin's Olympic Stadium on May 23.


Lackluster Liverpool Snatch Late Win at Forest

22 February 2026, United Kingdom, Nottingham: Liverpool's Alexis Mac Allister celebrates scoring their side's first goal during the English Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool at the City Ground. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
22 February 2026, United Kingdom, Nottingham: Liverpool's Alexis Mac Allister celebrates scoring their side's first goal during the English Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool at the City Ground. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Lackluster Liverpool Snatch Late Win at Forest

22 February 2026, United Kingdom, Nottingham: Liverpool's Alexis Mac Allister celebrates scoring their side's first goal during the English Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool at the City Ground. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
22 February 2026, United Kingdom, Nottingham: Liverpool's Alexis Mac Allister celebrates scoring their side's first goal during the English Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool at the City Ground. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa

Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister struck a winner deep into stoppage-time as his side snatched a scarcely-deserved 1-0 win at Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Sunday.

After a pedestrian 90 minutes in which they barely managed a shot on target, Mac Allister lit the fuse with a stoppage-time effort that was ruled out for handball before rifling home a rebound in the 97th minute to snatch the win.

Liverpool's attacking struggles began before the game when Florian Wirtz suffered an injury in the warm-up, and was replaced by Curtis Jones.

Callum Hudson-Odoi had an early chance for the home side but Alisson stood tall to thwart him, and Elliot Anderson ⁠spurned a couple ⁠of decent chances as the visitors barely threatened at all, Reuters reported.

Liverpool’s best chance in normal time came in the 54th minute when Mohamed Salah headed a deep cross back to Jones, but Forest keeper Stefan Ortega got a foot to his shot to avert the danger, and the home side looked to be headed for a draw in their first ⁠league game under new manager Vitor Perreira.

However, Mac Allister had other ideas and he thought he had given his side the lead in the second minute of stoppage time when the ball cannoned off him and into the net, but a VAR review showed the ball striking his elbow.

Undeterred, Mac Allister latched on to a rebound in the 97th minute and lashed it into the net.

Liverpool are sixth in the table on 45 points, level with Chelsea and Manchester United, who occupy fourth and fifth spots. Forest are 17th on 27 points, two above ⁠the relegation zone.

Liverpool ⁠manager Arne Slot was well aware of how close his side came to losing more ground in the race for Champions League football.

"It was fine margins, we really struggled in the first half. We were the lucky ones, scoring in the extra time," he told the BBC, and though Mac Allister was happy to get the three points, he was far from pleased with how his side performed.

"Mixed feelings, I love scoring, I love winning, but I don't think we played very well. It's always nice when you win," he told Sky Sports.

"We need to analyze what we did well and what went wrong. The intensity wasn't there, but we did what we did to win."