Rodrygo Scores Twice in Vinícius’ Absence as Spanish Leader Real Madrid Beats Athletic 2-0

Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #11 Rodrygo (2nd-R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's second goal during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Athletic Club Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on March 31, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #11 Rodrygo (2nd-R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's second goal during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Athletic Club Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on March 31, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Rodrygo Scores Twice in Vinícius’ Absence as Spanish Leader Real Madrid Beats Athletic 2-0

Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #11 Rodrygo (2nd-R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's second goal during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Athletic Club Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on March 31, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #11 Rodrygo (2nd-R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's second goal during the Spanish league football match between Real Madrid CF and Athletic Club Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on March 31, 2024. (AFP)

Rodrygo thrived in the absence of Vinícius Júnior as Real Madrid beat Athletic Bilbao 2-0 on Sunday to keep an eight-point lead over Barcelona in the Spanish league.

Rodrygo scored both goals and Madrid maintained its comfortable lead at the top after Barcelona had won 1-0 at Las Palmas on Saturday.

Vinícius didn’t play because of a suspension over yellow cards, but Jude Bellingham was back in the squad after missing two straight league games because of a red-card suspension. The influential England international set up Rodrygo’s second goal in Madrid’s third straight league win.

Rodrygo’s opener came with a beautiful shot into the top corner from just outside the area eight minutes into the match at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

The Brazil forward had scored for Brazil in a friendly against Spain at the Bernabeu last week, but he hadn’t found the net for Madrid in seven consecutive games.

“He played very well, made the difference with some high-quality plays,” Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said about Rodrygo.

The Brazilian said after the match he is not feeling threatened by the possible arrival of Kylian Mbappé.

“I think he is close (to being signed), from what everybody has been saying,” Rodrygo said. “I’m just focused on finishing the season well. It would be a nice problem for the coach to have next season. I’m not worried.”

Fourth-place Athletic arrived with its focus on next weekend’s Copa del Rey final against Mallorca. The Basque Country club will try to win the cup for the first time in four decades. Defender Yeray Álvarez left Sunday’s game with an apparent muscle injury in the 25th and could be doubtful for the final in Seville.

Athletic, which had won two in a row in the league, will drop to fifth place if Atletico Madrid wins at midtable Villarreal on Monday.

Also back in Madrid’s squad was central defender Éder Militão, who had been out for eight months because of a knee injury. He came off the bench in stoppage time to loud cheers from the Bernabeu crowd.

Brahim Díaz, who was in for Vinícius, nearly added to Madrid’s lead in the 49th with a shot that hit the post.

Tuesday’s “One Skin” friendly between Brazil and Spain at the Bernabeu, which ended 3-3, was set up after Vinícius was targeted by racial insults in a league match nearly a year ago.

Sunday’s league games came a day after the match between Getafe and Sevilla was marred by more racist insults against Sevilla player Marcos Acuña and Sevilla coach Quique Sánchez Flores.

Madrid wore its purple fourth uniform instead of its traditional white jersey.

Stuani leads Girona

Cristhian Stuani scored in stoppage time as Girona beat Real Betis 3-2 to move closer to securing a top-four finish.

The home win strengthened Girona’s hold on third place. It’s nine points ahead of fourth-place Athletic and 10 points in front of fifth-place Atletico Madrid, the first team outside the Champions League qualification places.

Girona visits Atletico next weekend in a key matchup with eight rounds remaining.

The Catalan club, which is part of the Abu Dhabi-backed City Football Group, is trying to make it to the Champions League for the first time.

Girona twice relinquished leads against seventh-place Betis, but earned the victory thanks to Stuani’s goal from inside the area two minutes into second-half stoppage time in pouring rain at Montilivi Stadium.

Artem Dovbyk scored the other two goals for the hosts, while Willian José got on the board twice for Betis, which saw its losing streak reach four straight league matches. Manuel Pellegrini’s team has one win in its last eight games in all competitions.

Relegation fight

Celta Vigo and Rayo Vallecano drew 0-0 in Vigo in a match between relegation-threatened clubs.

The result left Celta in 17th place, immediately behind Rayo.

Celta sits three points clear of the relegation zone, while Rayo is five points from danger. Rayo has one win in 12 matches.

Celta complained about two calls that went against the team — the first on a goal called off because of a foul, and then for a possible penalty kick late in the game.

Elsewhere, sixth-place Real Sociedad picked up its third straight victory by winning 1-0 at 13th-place Alaves.

Jon Pacheco scored the winner with a diving header in the 59th.

Alaves has one win in its last eight league matches.



Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
TT

Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)

The pressure is on Arsenal after Manchester City cut its lead at the top of the Premier League to two points on Saturday.

Second-place City beat Newcastle 2-1 to turn the heat up on the title race.
Victory at the Etihad Stadium piles the pressure on leader Arsenal ahead of Sunday's north London derby against Tottenham.

Nico O'Reilly scored both goals for Pep Guardiola's team and extended its unbeaten run in the league to five.

“The win was the most important thing. Try to close the gap as well as apply as much pressure as possible, but (I'm) also very happy with the two goals,” The Associated Press quoted O'Reilly as saying. “It’s a lot of games to go, we just need to take each game as it comes.”

City also moved further clear of third-place Aston Villa, which drew 1-1 with Leeds. Chelsea is fourth after a 1-1 draw with Burnley.

City is the team chasing down Arsenal, which has stumbled in recent weeks with only two wins in its last seven.

By contrast, City is finding form at the right time for a title run and ground out victory against Newcastle.

Guardiola and his players appeared to acknowledge how important the result could be as they embraced each other after the final whistle.

The momentum is with City at the top of the standings having cut back Arsenal’s lead, which was nine points earlier this month.

Three straight wins against Liverpool, Fulham and Newcastle have changed the complexion of the title race, while Arsenal has drawn back-to-back games against Brentford and Wolves.

O’Reilly’s 14th minute strike put City ahead against Newcastle, but Lewis Hall leveled in the 22nd.

O’Reilly got his second with a header across goal five minutes later.

City defended deep in the second half as Newcastle went in search of an equalizer and held out for the win.

“We won today, but it’s a step at a time,” said Guardiola. “Seventy percent of the players never played in that situation (challenging for the title), and I don’t play. So we have to live it. They know, we know, that every game until the end of the season will be like this.”

Aston Villa's title challenge was hit after being held to a 1-1 draw at home to relegation-fighting Leeds on Saturday.

It took an 88th-minute equalizer from substitute Tammy Abraham to rescue a point for Villa — but the draw means Unai Emery's team could be cut further adrift of Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the standings.

“There are two sides — one is that we lost two points, or that we won one point,” Villa coach Unai Emery said. “We have 51 points. Today, we lost two, or we won one. At this point, hopefully, we can get the next matches, understanding this point better.”

Villa's draw leaves it seven points behind Arsenal and continued its shaky recent form of just one win in four in the league.

It could have been worse after Aton Stach put Leeds ahead from free kick in the 31st.

Abraham, a January signing from Besiktas, came on in the 75th and leveled from close range for his first Premier League goal since his move to Villa Park.

Leeds is seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chelsea hit by late goal Zian Flemming scored in the 93rd at Stamford Bridge to salvage a draw for second to last place Burnley.

Joao Pedro's goal in the fourth looked like being enough for the home team, which went down to 10 men when Wesley Fofana was sent off in the 72nd.

“You need to be ruthless in this league because if you don’t defend set plays well then you get punished," Chelsea coach Liam Rosenior said. “I felt we were very happy — and it’s not the way I want to play — just to maintain possession, I want us to go for more goals."

The point moved Chelsea up to fourth — above Manchester United on goal difference, having played a game more. But the race for Champions League qualification could be even tighter by the end of the weekend with Liverpool now having the chance to move level on points with Chelsea if it beats Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

United plays Everton on Monday.

James Milner played his 654th game in the Premier League to set a new appearance record for the competition.

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the previous benchmark set by Gareth Barry, which had stood since 2018. And he doesn't sound like he's ready to call it a day yet.

"I’ll keep pushing, let’s see where that takes us,” Milner said after Brighton's 2-0 win, which delivered a setback to Brentford's Champions League challenge.

Goals from Diego Gomez and Danny Welbeck put Brighton in control before the break at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Brentford is five points off the Champions League places.

Adams returns from injury US international Tyler Adams was back on the field for Bournemouth — making his first appearance since tearing his left MCL on Dec. 15.

Adams was in the starting lineup for the 0-0 draw against West Ham and played for 66 minutes before being replaced by Ryan Christie.

It’s now just one loss in six for West Ham as its battle to avoid the drop continues to gain momentum.

West Ham, in 17th, is two points away from safety, but has played a game more than its closest rival Forest.


Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)

Ferrari's Lewis Hamilton has ‌admitted he "forgot who I was" but is now excited for the new Formula One season and ready to go racing again.

In a defiant message posted on Instagram, the seven times world champion made clear he was fully motivated again after a disappointing first season with the Italian team.

"I love this job so much and I love working with my team and driving ‌for the fans," ‌said the 41-year-old Briton, who ‌joined ⁠Ferrari from Mercedes ⁠last year amid much initial fanfare.

"I'm incredibly lucky to be able to do what I do, and I'm excited for the season ahead.

"I'm re-set and refreshed. I'm not going anywhere, so stick with me. For a moment, I forgot ⁠who I was, but thanks to ‌you and your support ‌you're not going to see that mindset again. I ‌know what needs to be done. This ‌is going to be one hell of a season."

The most successful driver in Formula One history had the worst season of his career last year, failing ‌to get on the podium in 24 races and sounding increasingly gloomy.

Ferrari also ⁠failed ⁠to win a race in 2025 but have looked strong in testing in Bahrain this month, with Hamilton's teammate Charles Leclerc fastest in this week's final session before the cars are flown to Australia for the first race on March 8.

Andrea Stella, the boss of champions McLaren, told reporters on Friday that he saw Mercedes and Ferrari as the teams to beat.

"McLaren and Red Bull probably very similar, Ferrari and Mercedes a step ahead," he said.


Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)

Juventus blew their chance of climbing into the Champions League places in Serie A as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at home to Como on Saturday.

A win would have lifted Juve above fourth-placed Napoli but, Juventus, thrashed 5-2 at Galatasaray in the first leg of the Champions League play-offs in midweek, they had no answer to the ambition of Como who moved one point behind them in sixth.

The visitors, who drew with AC Milan on Wednesday, were in front after just 11 minutes when Juve gave the ball away in midfield.

Anastasios Douvikas collected and played in Mergim Vojvoda on the right.

The Kosovar cut inside before unleashing a left-footed shot from 18 meters out. Michele Di Gregorio got a hand on it but couldn't prevent it hitting the back of the Juve net.

The second came just after the hour when Como counter-attacked from a poorly taken Juventus corner.

Maximo Perrone carried the ball all the way up the pitch before spotting Lucas Da Cunha on the right making a run into the box.

The captain drilled a low cross to Maxence Caqueret on the edge of the six-yard box who tapped into an empty net.

Victory at Lecce later on Saturday would give leaders Inter Milan a 10-point lead over AC Milan, who host Parma on Sunday.