Ange Postecoglou Has Reinvented Spurs for Tottenham. But the Path Forward is Murky.

Spurs finished eighth last year and the season ended in rancour and recrimination (file photo by The AP)
Spurs finished eighth last year and the season ended in rancour and recrimination (file photo by The AP)
TT

Ange Postecoglou Has Reinvented Spurs for Tottenham. But the Path Forward is Murky.

Spurs finished eighth last year and the season ended in rancour and recrimination (file photo by The AP)
Spurs finished eighth last year and the season ended in rancour and recrimination (file photo by The AP)

The good news for Tottenham is that they did not concede a goal from a set play against Liverpool on Sunday. But there wasn’t much else. A 4-2 defeat meant they had lost four successive league games for the first time since 2004 and if Tottenham are to clinch fourth place from Aston Villa, they have to win their remaining three games, one of which is against Manchester City, and hope that Villa don’t win either of their two.

A measure of perspective is essential. Spurs finished eighth last year and the season ended in rancour and recrimination. Antonio Conte had left at the end of March, by which point he had made clear he didn’t much want to be at the club, while fans had tired of his grindingly negative football; what can be tolerated when it’s bringing results soon palls when those results dry up.

Ange Postecoglou is different, not just from Conte but from most coaches. He sounds like a human. He can be tetchy but he doesn’t go in for orchestrated rants. At 58, this is by far the highest level at which he has coached; this could be the culmination of a life’s work that took him from Australia to Japan to Celtic. For Postecoglou, this is not just another couple of years on the CV. This is his legacy. He wants, desperately, to be at Spurs. The attitude is refreshing, and so initially, was the football. His Spurs have attacked, recklessly so at times. He took 26 points from his first 10 league games in charge. Nobody really thought Spurs could win the title, but a quarter of the way through the season they were top.

There was always going to be a reset. That sort of form was never sustainable. After 2.6 points a game for 10 games, they have taken 1.36 from the next 25. Newcastle, Chelsea and Manchester United feel ominously close. They hit last season’s points tally on 7 April, and haven’t picked up another one since. Given the sale of Harry Kane last summer, a new manager, a revolution, Tottenham would surely have happily accepted 60 points at this stage with a restored sense of fun; the problem is the order. Everything since the end of October has felt like drift.

The first grumblings against Postecoglou have begun. His stubbornness regarding set pieces seems bizarre. “I don’t see it as an issue,” he said after conceding twice to corners in the north London derby last weekend, which made it inevitable that Spurs would concede to a header from a set piece against Chelsea on Thursday. His side have now conceded 16 goals to set pieces this season; as a proportion of total goals conceded, only Nottingham Forest have a worse record.

What Postecoglou was surely saying was not that he didn’t think set plays were worth bothering about but rather that if Spurs were to bridge the gap to the Champions League qualifiers, it wasn’t going to be by getting better at defending corners but improving their general pattern of play. That’s a far more understandable position than pretending set plays don’t matter but, still, imagine that figure of 16 conceded could be halved: how many more points would that have brought? Probably enough to make the race with Villa for the top four neck and neck.

The bigger issue, though, as Postecoglou said, is probably the other area in which he is dogmatic, which is in playing a high-tempo, high-possession game. Liverpool, despite their recent stumble remain the most aggressive pressing side in the Premier League, while Tottenham have conceded possession in their defensive third more than any other team. That this patched-up, low-confidence version of Tottenham might struggle at Anfield, a ground where their recent record is terrible, was predictable. In such circumstances, may it not be worth a coach compromising on his principles just a little, on not simply insisting that’s the way we play, mate?

That elides with a general openness – nine sides in the Premier League have conceded fewer goals than Spurs – to create a concern that Postecoglou has given fans their Tottenham back all too precisely, that the best they can ever be under him is an occasionally thrilling team who are generally good to watch, but too open ever to really challenge for titles.

The improvement from a year ago, though, shouldn’t be forgotten. There are caveats but given the turmoil of last summer, it’s only fair to give Postecoglou at least one more window before passing too firm a judgment. The squad still lacks a little depth and is not yet fully designed for the sort of football he wants to play. Postecoglou’s problem is that those caveats loom larger because of the recent downturn. The season as a whole has been promising but the end has been disappointing. The issue now is to prove that he was the reason for the early season bounce, rather than just the absence of Conte.

- The Guardian Sport



George Russell Aims to Recapture F1 Momentum in Canada and Stop Antonelli's Streak

Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
TT

George Russell Aims to Recapture F1 Momentum in Canada and Stop Antonelli's Streak

Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)

An upgraded car and a “painful” reminder not to lose sight of the Formula 1 fundamentals could be George Russell's path back to the front of the field at the Canadian Grand Prix.

Russell's fourth place at the last race in Miami gave his Mercedes teammate Kimi Antonelli a yawning 20-point lead in the standings after four races. The 19-year-old Italian has won three in a row.

Russell said one reason he lost ground was focusing too much on the standout feature of the 2026 cars, their massive electrical power output, and neglecting the basics.

“Dealing with the tires, dealing with the setup, just fundamentals of racing, has kind of been put on the back-burner because we’re all so focused on energy management,” The Associated Press quoted him as saying.

“We missed some key things because we were focused elsewhere and that was a good little reminder. As painful as it was, it was a very much-needed weekend because I think it’s going to prove very beneficial.”

Antonelli's lead grew in Miami because McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull brought upgrades that helped them fight for the podium places. Now it's Mercedes' turn to bring upgraded parts for the car that's won all four Grand Prix races in 2026 so far.

Antonelli's place in history Canada offers the chance of a big points swing. It's hosting a sprint race Saturday for the first time, putting another maximum eight points on offer.

The threat of rain in Montreal on Sunday would shake things up, too. After storms predicted for Miami never materialized, the 2026 cars have yet to race in wet weather.

It's early to talk of the title at just the fifth round of the season but a fourth win in a row would put the 19-year-old Antonelli into an exclusive club. Every driver who's won four or more consecutive Grands Prix has been an F1 champion at some point in their career.

History does offer a little encouragement to Russell, though. The one time in F1 history that a driver won four consecutive races in a season but not the title came in 2016 when Lewis Hamilton was beaten by his then-Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.

More recently, Oscar Piastri won three in a row for McLaren last year and still lost to teammate Lando Norris.

It's a busy time to be an F1 engine manufacturer.

The extra engine power agreed for 2027, with electrical power turned down and less need to recharge batteries, got a cautious welcome Thursday from Max Verstappen, the biggest critic of the 2026 cars, who said it was “almost back to normal.”

Meanwhile, the FIA is pushing to return to old-school V8s from 2030, and there's more immediate change coming after this weekend.

Under a new-for-2026 rule, after the Canadian Grand Prix, the FIA will confirm some manufacturers will get extra development time and budget to improve their engines, but only if they're a certain margin behind the best-performing engine, widely agreed to be Mercedes.

The scheme, known as ADUO, is meant to nudge F1 gently toward engine parity over the next few years and avoid what FIA rules guru Nikolas Tombazis last year dubbed “eternal misery” for teams who picked slower engines.


Australia's Leckie Grateful for World Cup Chance after Injury Battle

Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Round of 16 - Argentina v Australia - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar - December 3, 2022 Argentina's Lionel Messi in action with Australia's Mathew Leckie REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo
Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Round of 16 - Argentina v Australia - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar - December 3, 2022 Argentina's Lionel Messi in action with Australia's Mathew Leckie REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo
TT

Australia's Leckie Grateful for World Cup Chance after Injury Battle

Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Round of 16 - Argentina v Australia - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar - December 3, 2022 Argentina's Lionel Messi in action with Australia's Mathew Leckie REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo
Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Round of 16 - Argentina v Australia - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan, Qatar - December 3, 2022 Argentina's Lionel Messi in action with Australia's Mathew Leckie REUTERS/Bernadett Szabo

Australia's 2022 World Cup hero Mathew Leckie is grateful to coach Tony Popovic for giving him a chance of being selected for the tournament in North America following a long battle with injury.

Four years ago in Qatar, Leckie scored a brilliant goal to down Denmark 1-0 and put Australia into the last 16 for the second time in their World Cup history.

Now 35, the winger-turned-midfielder is coming off an injury-plagued season with Melbourne City but is eyeing a fourth World Cup after being called into the Socceroos' training camp in Florida.

"It’s been a frustrating ⁠time .... but I ⁠guess I’ve just always had the mentality that I could get back," Leckie told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"Without injury when I’m out there, I’m still capable to be in good shape.

"I don’t feel like I’m slowing down in any way, and the key has been to ⁠try to stay fit. I’ve still got a lot to give when I’m fit."

Leckie struggled to get back on the pitch for Melbourne City following hip surgery in December but impressed on his return in April.

Popovic all but confirmed Leckie would be part of his squad if fit, and singled him out for praise after he played 120 minutes in City's shootout loss to Auckland FC in the A-League playoffs, Reuters reported.

"It will come down to his body, but if you just ⁠look at ⁠the quality he could (produce) at 35 with no football under his belt, a young player can’t do that," Popovic said this month.

Leckie said he was glad of the compliment and was working hard to reward Popovic's faith.

"I’ve really put my head down in this camp and tried to work hard and do everything right to give myself a chance," he said.

"I’ll put my hand up to help any way the boss thinks I can."

Australia kick off their World Cup against Turkey in Vancouver on June 13 and also play co-hosts the United States and Paraguay.


New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
TT

New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo

New Zealand captain Chris Wood says he is fully fit for the World Cup and his long injury battle has made him hungrier for success as the All Whites look to reach the knockout phase for the first time.

After undergoing surgery on his left knee in December, the 34-year-old striker returned to action for Nottingham Forest last month before being included in New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley's squad for the June 11 to July 19 finals in North America.

New Zealand's record scorer with 45 goals in 88 appearances, Wood said he had moved past the recovery phase with his knee and was looking forward to locking ⁠horns with Iran, ⁠Egypt and Belgium at the World Cup.

"I'm fully back to full fitness. I've been playing games now for over a month-and-a-half, so I feel good, feel up to speed, which is nice, and ready to continue to attack the off-season," he told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"I'm just happy to be back firing both for Forest and for the national team coming into this World Cup period.

"And it's just ⁠given me that hunger to strive and achieve more, definitely."

Wood and defender Tommy Smith are the only players in the squad who represented New Zealand the last time they played at the World Cup when it was hosted by South Africa in 2010.

Then 18, Wood came off the bench in the group matches against Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay.

New Zealand bowed out with three draws but won acclaim for going through unbeaten in their second World Cup and first since 1982.

Wood said the current squad was completely different, much more a technical, ball-playing side versus the "run-through-brick-walls" players of 2010.

He was nonetheless confident they could get out of their ⁠group.

"That's our aim, ⁠and then build from there. We're under no illusion it's going to be tough, but we think we've got the quality in our dressing room to be able to do that," Reuters quoted him as saying.

New Zealand kick off their World Cup against Iran on June 15 in Los Angeles, a match that will be in the spotlight following the United States and Israel's military strikes against the Middle East nation.

While Iran's preparations have been disrupted by the conflict, Wood said they would be no pushovers.

"I believe they're 21st, 22nd in the world, so no mugs in that sense," he said.

"So they're going to be tough to beat and tough to perform against.

"I know the (NZ) coaching staff is doing all they can to do the analytic side of it for (Iran). And we'll be ready on and off the pitch for them."