No ifs, No buts, this Real Madrid Rank alongside Di Stéfano’s as Greatest Team Ever

Photo by EPA
TT

No ifs, No buts, this Real Madrid Rank alongside Di Stéfano’s as Greatest Team Ever

Photo by EPA

Dani Carvajal laid the first stone and applied the final brush stroke. In May 2004, when he was a 12-year-old kid with floppy blond hair and a lifetime before him, he placed Real Madrid’s white shirt into the foundations of their training ground, a new home for an institution that, the legend carved into that granite slab said, “respects its past, learns from its present and believes in its future”. On the first day of June 2024, now a 32-year-old man with a greying beard and a history behind him, he was in Madrid colours at Wembley, leaping to head in the goal that helped secure their greatest work of all.

Twenty years had passed almost to the day, and it was done. How much longer before anyone witnesses this again, if they do? That day Carvajal, an infantil in the academy, stood alongside a 77-year-old Alfredo Di Stéfano, the most significant player whom club football has had, a symbol of their everything; the man whose arrival in 1953 changed Madrid and the game for ever, forging their legend, an identity. Now, when it comes to the European Cup, the competition in which they did it and feel as their own, Carvajal stands above him. Even saying it sounds absurd, a glimpse of what has just happened.

Jude Bellingham of Real Madrid lifts the Champions League trophy after his team’s victory in the Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund.

No one has won this competition more times. A tiny, select group have won it as many. Five men have lifted the European Cup six times and three of them are Carvajal’s teammates: on Saturday he, Luka Modric, Nacho Fernández and Toni Kroos joined Paco Gento, whose seemingly impossible feat has taken 58 years, and one prodigious decade, to match. Carvajal is the only one of this generation to have started all six finals, although he was forced off early in two, his tears there adding poignancy to the goal that pulled them through here.

“I came as a kid and now I’m here,” he said. “It is going to be very hard for this [record] to be taken away from us.”

There were many images, words and moments to hold on to at the end of Real Madrid’s 15th – fifteenth – European Cup. Kroos leaving like that. Vinícius Júnior scoring another Champions League final goal, at 23: “Ballon d’Or, no doubt,” Carlo Ancelotti, the Madrid manager, said. Jude Bellingham, winning the trophy for the first time, aged 20, who said he was holding it together until he saw his mum’s and dad’s faces. Ancelotti intervening again, with calm clarity. “He knows what he is doing,” Bellingham had said. There was the way they did it, which is their way, a story seen before. They had been let off alive, Ancelotti admitted, but they had done it.

Jude Bellingham sits with his brother, Jobe, as their parents Mark and Denise talk in the background after the Champions League final.

You didn’t seriously think they wouldn’t, did you? They have not lost a final in the competition since 1981: played nine, won nine. “It seems that in these games, we’re not able to lose,” Kroos said. “To be level with Gento is crazy, something I never thought I am going to achieve.”

Through all those images, those little vignettes, there was that basic fact, the thing it all built to, that expresses the enormity of this: Real Madrid had just won their 15th European Cup. Now they will ask for the 16th, Ancelotti was told, to which he started laughing. When he eventually stopped, he replied: “It is like that.” As if to prove the point, the president, Florentino Pérez, then said exactly that and this week he will announce Kylian Mbappé’s arrival. But it is a stock phrase. That’s tomorrow and this is now, and always. Forget the next one, at least for a while. Stop. Take it in. Don’t look forward, look back.

Because this is about emulating the eternal, surpassing it even, less perhaps about the 15th than about it being Madrid’s sixth in 10 years: from Lisbon to London, 2014 to 2024. No one has ever done this, except them. Four of this team have won as many European Cups as Liverpool, never mind Gento, the only Madrid player who won their first five European Cups, from 1956-60, and their sixth in 1966.

The ’66 team, known as the Madrid of the Ye-Ye, a transliteration of the chorus from the Beatles’ She Loves You, stood apart, an outlier. Madrid had been knocked out for the first time in 1960 – by Barcelona – and lost the finals in 1962 and 1964. Di Stéfano had gone and economically they were not in good health. The team that beat Partizan in the 1966 final was made up entirely of Spaniards.

Alfredo Di Stéfano (right), scores Real Madrid’s first goal in 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup Final at Hampden Park, to set his team en route to their fifth consecutive crown.
If that contributes to this current side perhaps not being seen as emulating Madrid’s golden generation, embodied by winning the first five European Cups rather than six in the opening decade, there are other elements too. That team built Madrid’s identity and comes with an aura of invincibility, of dominance, an imperious march to the title, that this generation may not match. Instead there is the implausibility of these successes: the miracles, the fortune, the goalkeepers suddenly losing their minds, the plain silliness of some of their wins. Even they agreed 2022 was pretty ridiculous. When they were defeated 4-0 by Manchester City the following year in the semi-final second leg, some saw it as justice and the end.

“There’s always a ‘but’,” Ancelotti has said. Rodrygo admitted recently that Manchester City were “better” than them. In this final, again they were made to suffer. The run from 2014 began in the season in which Atlético Madrid were domestic champions, and in the final it took a 93rd‑minute equaliser and an extra-time barrage to beat them. In two of the three they won in a row between 2016 and 2018, Barcelona were La Liga champions and that, Madrid’s then coach Zinedine Zidane admitted, was the most objective test, the title he most valued.

And yet as Kroos presciently said after that elimination in Manchester: “It is not normal to win the Champions League all the time. The last time I heard it was the end of an era was 2019, so we’re OK.” He was right, they were OK; better than that, better than anyone. No buts, this is inescapable: six European Cups in a decade, an achievement to match any, even that one, untouchable in black and white. Sometimes you need to step back from the history you’re making to see that you’re making it. Time changes perceptions, of this era and that one; the past is seen differently and one day this will be the past and it will be glorious.

 

The galácticos had come, glory assured. But they got stuck. The 10th tortured them; the décima became an obsession and it resisted them for more than a decade. Six years in a row, they didn’t manage to win a knockout game. Twelve years they waited, which felt like an eternity, and eventually reached the final in 2014. With the clock on 92.48 they were losing, and to Atlético of all teams: that Sergio Ramos header is surely the single most sliding-doors moment in their history. “Every morning when he comes in, I feel like kissing him,” Paul Clement, Ancelotti’s assistant, said. The most traumatic of ends awaited them, everything about to be ripped up.

Instead, it was the beginning. Madrid had the 10th. Two years later they had the 11th, then the 12th and the 13th in a row, which was extraordinary enough. That cycle appeared to be closing. Players went – Cristiano Ronaldo, Ramos, Gareth Bale, Casemiro, Raphaël Varane – and so did the coaches. Ancelotti had been sacked within a year and then Zidane – who had begun as his assistant and was now the competition’s most successful manager – departed.

Madrid were struggling to find a replacement. One day José Ángel Sánchez, the director general, received a call from Ancelotti about the possibility of Everton taking Madrid players on loan. At one point the Italian asked him how the search was going. Not good, he was told. To which Ancelotti joked, well, there is one obvious candidate, the best coach in the world. “Have you forgotten about the décima?” he said.

Within a day it was done; within three years, Madrid lifted the decimocuarta and the decimoquinta, the best decade the biggest club of all have had, opening and closing with the competition’s most successful manager on the bench and four of its five most successful players on the pitch. The kid who had laid the first stone 20 years earlier provided the final touch, their work complete.

 

- The Guardian Sport



Neymar Says He May Retire by End of 2026

Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Neymar Says He May Retire by End of 2026

Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.

The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.

But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.

"I don't know what will happen from now on, I don't know about next year," he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.

"It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I'll want to ‌retire. I'm living year to year now."

"This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it's a World Cup year, and for me too," Neymar said.

Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.

Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.


Arteta Dismisses ‘Bottlers’ Talk Amid Title Wobble

Arsenal's Spanish manager Mikel Arteta applauds the fans following the English Premier League football match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Arsenal at the Molineux stadium in Wolverhampton, central England on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal's Spanish manager Mikel Arteta applauds the fans following the English Premier League football match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Arsenal at the Molineux stadium in Wolverhampton, central England on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Arteta Dismisses ‘Bottlers’ Talk Amid Title Wobble

Arsenal's Spanish manager Mikel Arteta applauds the fans following the English Premier League football match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Arsenal at the Molineux stadium in Wolverhampton, central England on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Arsenal's Spanish manager Mikel Arteta applauds the fans following the English Premier League football match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Arsenal at the Molineux stadium in Wolverhampton, central England on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Arsenal manager Mikel ‌Arteta rejected the term 'bottlers' ahead of Sunday's Premier League visit to Tottenham Hotspur, as the title race heats up after their lead was cut short by successive Premier League draws at Brentford and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Arsenal have won just two of their last seven league games, with second-placed Manchester City now five points behind with a game in hand.

Under ‌Arteta, the ‌North London club has finished as ‌the ⁠runners-up in their ⁠last three campaigns.

"It’s not part of my vocabulary and I don’t see it like this because I don’t think anybody wants to do that as an intention," Arteta told reporters on Friday, when asked about ⁠the term being used regarding their ‌latest wobble in ‌the title race.

"That’s individual opinion, perspective. You have to ‌respect that. That’s what I said after ‌in the press conference. You lose two points against Wolves in the manner that the game played out, you have to take it on ‌the chin. It's part of our role."

"What I’m very interested in ⁠is ⁠the next one, what we are made of, what we love about this and how we write our own destiny from here."

Arsenal have also reached the League Cup final and the round of 16 in the Champions League and the FA Cup.

Meanwhile, Tottenham, who are 16th in the Premier League, will enter into Sunday's game under newly appointed manager Igor Tudor, who replaced Thomas Frank last week.


IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.