Replacing a Great Manager Is Never Easy but Slot Didn’t Get That Memo at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
TT

Replacing a Great Manager Is Never Easy but Slot Didn’t Get That Memo at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo

You could say he has slotted in just fine.

Arne Slot clearly didn't get the memo that it's supposed to be a near-impossible job to follow a club great as manager.

Take David Moyes after replacing Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Moyes lasted 10 months.

Or Unai Emery after replacing Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. Emery lasted an uncomfortable 18 months.

These are very early days but Slot has barely put a foot wrong since succeeding Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool manager following the popular German's nearly nine years in the dugout, according to The AP. Klopp forged such a connection with the port city and its soccer-mad people that he was compared with Bill Shankly, the club’s most legendary manager.

Maybe it's because, at the moment, Slot's Liverpool doesn't look too much different to Klopp's team.

Two Premier League matches. Two wins. Two clean sheets.

There was even a convincing win over Manchester United in a preseason game in the United States, which is never a bad thing when it comes to getting fans of the Reds onside.

There are bigger challenges to come, of course. Starting on Sunday when Liverpool plays United for real, this time in the league at Old Trafford in what is historically the biggest match in English soccer between the country's two most successful teams.

While United opted to stick with its manager, Erik ten Hag, despite a woeful eighth-place finish last season, Liverpool's hand was forced by Klopp's decision to step down after a tenure that included a Premier League and a Champions League title.

Slot was regarded as a natural successor because of his style of play which, while not as intense and suffocating, is still very attacking and high-energy like Klopp's.

Indeed, Richard Hughes, Liverpool’s new sporting director who identified Slot as Klopp's replacement, said during the summer that the Dutchman's coaching philosophy and approach “lend really well with the kind of squad we have, the supporters and the football club as a whole.”

Hence why, to the frustration of some Liverpool fans, the club has felt it necessary to sign only one player so far in the first transfer window of the new era — and even that was a goalkeeper, Georgia international Giorgi Mamardashvili, who has been sent back on loan to the team from which he was bought. It could be two before the transfer window closes on Friday, having agreed to sign Italy winger Federico Chiesa from Juventus.

In short, Slot feels it's tough to improve on what he has and will go about making only tweaks here and there to put his own stamp on the lineup in its bid to challenge Manchester City and Arsenal, the two top teams over the last two years, for the Premier League title.

Take this stat from Sunday's 2-0 win at Brentford: Liverpool completed 92% of its passes, which — according to Premier League statistics supplier Opta — is the team's highest on record (since 2003-04) in a Premier League game.

That fits with a comment made in preseason by Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones, who said the aim now is to “have all the ball and completely kill a team.”

Initially, it feels like there's less chaos, and more control, in Slot's team.

However, look at the goals scored against Brentford and they still bore the imprints of the Klopp era. There was the rapid counterattack, launched after clearing a Brentford corner, that was finished off by Luis Diaz, and a strike by Mohamed Salah after the ball was won back high up the field by heavy pressing.

For the moment, the results are coming because the same players are doing the same things they did under Klopp.

In that sense, Slot is playing it clever and not trying to change too much too quickly, something which Moyes and Emery perhaps got wrong when they headed up new eras at other English soccer superpowers.

Indeed, 11 years after Ferguson's retirement, United is still trying to rediscover its identity, with Ten Hag the fifth permanent manager since (plus three interim coaches).

Not that everything is rosy for Slot.

There's still the thorny issue of perhaps his best three players — Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold — all having contracts ending after this season. Alexander-Arnold created a bit of a stir on social media with his reaction to being substituted early against Brentford.

Slot also has yet to find a solution to his one clear concern about the team — at the base of its midfield. An attempt to buy Spain international Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad failed this month and he has been using Ryan Gravenberch, a midfielder who might be better going forward, as the most deep lying of the central-midfield three.

Otherwise, Slot has been charming in news conferences — much like Klopp was — and, tellingly, makes it his mantra to be praiseworthy of the team in general instead of focusing on any individual.

Most importantly, his team has been winning games.

And none are bigger than against Manchester United. Being at Liverpool only a few months won't stop Slot knowing that.



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.