Raphinha Hits Hat Trick as Barcelona Routs Valladolid 7-0 to Make It 4 from 4 under Flick

 Soccer Football - LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Valladolid - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Barcelona, Spain - August 31, 2024 FC Barcelona's Raphinha celebrates scoring their first goal. (Reuters)
Soccer Football - LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Valladolid - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Barcelona, Spain - August 31, 2024 FC Barcelona's Raphinha celebrates scoring their first goal. (Reuters)
TT

Raphinha Hits Hat Trick as Barcelona Routs Valladolid 7-0 to Make It 4 from 4 under Flick

 Soccer Football - LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Valladolid - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Barcelona, Spain - August 31, 2024 FC Barcelona's Raphinha celebrates scoring their first goal. (Reuters)
Soccer Football - LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Valladolid - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Barcelona, Spain - August 31, 2024 FC Barcelona's Raphinha celebrates scoring their first goal. (Reuters)

Brazil forward Raphinha scored a hat trick and set up another goal as Barcelona routed Valladolid 7-0 and remained perfect with four wins in as many games under new coach Hansi Flick on Saturday.

The early leader of the Spanish league rolled over newly promoted Valladolid at home, with Robert Lewandowski, Dani Olmo, Jules Koundé and Ferran Torres also finding the net.

Lamine Yamal, who starred in Spain’s European Championship title run, set up two goals and was way too much for Valladolid to handle from Lionel Messi’s old spot on the right flank.

Raphinha had already started the season strong with a pair of assists before he powered the big win over Valladolid with his first career treble. And that came after the club was reported to have been interested in securing a blockbuster transfer for Athletic Bilbao winger Nico Williams, another Spain standout.

If Williams had arrived, Raphinha would have likely been the odd man out.

“I have been working hard since I came back from the summer holidays. I knew that this season would be very important,” the former Leeds player said.

“The game today showed that we don’t need new players to come in. We are in good shape and working hard in practice and games. And this shows where we are right now.”

It was 3-0 by halftime and the final score could have been even worse for the hapless visitor. Olmo, making his first start for Barcelona, hit the woodwork twice and Lewandowski also rattled the post.

When Barcelona fired Xavi Hernández and brought in Flick, president Joan Laporta said his team needed a change.

So far, so good.

The German coach has found a slick attacking unit of Lewandowski, Raphinha and Spain trio Yamal, Olmo, and Pedri, that could give its fans reason to hope Barcelona will challenge defending champion Real Madrid despite the addition of Kylian Mbappé.

Flick gave a fourth debut to the products of the club’s famed La Masia academy. This time it was the turn of 19-year-old defender Sergi Domínguez, who went on in the second half.

Raphinha used his chest to control a lobbed pass by 17-year-old defender Pau Cubarsí, who helped Spain win an Olympic gold, and opened the scoring in the 20th minute.

Lewandowski quickly doubled the lead from a cross by Yamal to give the Poland striker four goals in this campaign.

Koundé put the result beyond doubt in first-half injury time.

Raphinha scored from passes by Lewandowski and Yamal in the 64th and 72nd to make it a blowout. Olmo, who also stood out for Spain at Euro 2024, took this second goal in as many games since joining from Leipzig. Substitute Torres capped the demolition by side-footing in a low cross from Raphinha.

Barcelona has 12 points to Madrid’s five. The titleholder is in fifth place after drawing two of its first three matches. It hosts Real Betis on Sunday.

Super subs

Substitutes Ángel Correa and Alexander Sorloth linked up in injury time to secure a 1-0 win for Atletico Madrid at Bilbao.

Correa took the late winner after Sorloth sprung a counterattack when he stole a ball from defender Iñigo Lekue and set up his strike partner on the gallop to round the goalkeeper and score.

Sorloth went on for Julián Álvarez with 20 minutes left. Correa joined him in the 88th.

Staying for now

After Bilbao’s loss, Williams spoke about his future and the interest he received from other clubs following his superb showing at the Euros in Germany.

“Other players would have taken up the chances I had,” Williams said. “I showed that I am happy here. I have decided that I want to be here one more year and enjoy playing in (the Europa League with Bilbao).”

First wins

Espanyol got a goal deep in stoppage time from Alejo Veliz to complete a 2-1 comeback over Rayo Vallecano, its first win since returning to the top-flight after one season in the second division.

Mallorca’s Dani Rodríguez scored to secure his team its first victory, beating Leganes 1-0 on the road.

Ayoze Pérez canceled out Hugo Duro’s opener to give Villarreal a 1-1 draw at regional rival Valencia.



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.