Miranchuk Grabs Equalizer as Atlanta Hold Messi's Miami to 2-2 Draw

Alexis Mac Allister (C) of Argentina celebrates a goal that was later disallowed during a CONMEBOL FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier soccer match between Argentina and Chile at Mas Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 05 September 2024. (EPA)
Alexis Mac Allister (C) of Argentina celebrates a goal that was later disallowed during a CONMEBOL FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier soccer match between Argentina and Chile at Mas Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 05 September 2024. (EPA)
TT

Miranchuk Grabs Equalizer as Atlanta Hold Messi's Miami to 2-2 Draw

Alexis Mac Allister (C) of Argentina celebrates a goal that was later disallowed during a CONMEBOL FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier soccer match between Argentina and Chile at Mas Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 05 September 2024. (EPA)
Alexis Mac Allister (C) of Argentina celebrates a goal that was later disallowed during a CONMEBOL FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier soccer match between Argentina and Chile at Mas Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 05 September 2024. (EPA)

Aleksey Miranchuk scored late to give Atlanta a 2-2 Major League Soccer draw against Inter Miami on Wednesday, with Lionel Messi unable to conjure any magic as a late substitute for the visitors.

Eight-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi had dazzled in his return from a lengthy injury absence on Saturday, scoring two goals in the space of four minutes in Miami's 3-1 victory over Philadelphia.

But coach Gerardo Martino said he would be careful not to overwork his superstar in a three-match week, and Messi was held out of the starting lineup in Atlanta along with former Barcelona teammates Luis Suarez and Jordi Alba.

Miami have secured an MLS Cup Eastern Conference playoff berth and with 63 points lead the race for the Supporters' Shield, awarded to the team that tops the overall standings, AFP reported.

The Florida team led 2-1 on goals from David Ruiz and Leonardo Campana when Messi entered the match in the 61st minute.

The Argentinian superstar came close to a game-clinching goal in the 83rd, but his angled effort was blocked by Atlanta goalkeeper Brad Guzan and Suarez's attempt to tap in the rebound was also denied.

A minute later Russia's Miranchuk, signed by Atlanta from Europa League winners Atalanta at the end of July, produced a sensational left-footed shot from outside the area.

Inter had led 1-0 at half-time courtesy of 20-year-old David Ruiz's first goal of the season.

Ruiz, making his first start since June 15 in a lineup that featured just three of Miami's regular starters, took advantage of a through ball from Argentina's Franco Negri to slot home a well-placed shot.

Atlanta pulled level in the 56th through Saba Lobzhanidze, whose header hit defender Ian Fray and slipped through the legs of goalkeeper Drake Callender.

Campana put Miami back in front in the 59th, scoring from a free kick to surpass Argentina's Gonzalo Higuain as Inter Miami's all-time leading scorer with his 30th.

Messi's entrance seemed to galvanize both teams as well as enraptured spectators at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, where fans were disappointed when the Argentine superstar sat out a game last year.

But it was Atlanta who ultimately capitalized on the energy boost.

While Messi, Alba and Suarez came in as substitutes in the second half, Miami were without suspended Sergio Busquets and Tomas Aviles as well as injured David Martinez and Diego Gomez.

- 'Tough game' -

Martino watched the game from a suite as he served a suspension for an accumulation of yellow cards.

"It was a tough game, especially when we came to play here it's a tough stadium to play and a difficult team," Miami assistant coach Javier Morales said. "But I think we had a good performance.

"I think in the first half we found the goal and managed the game in a good way. And then in the second half, when they scored the goal, Campana responded with ours and then we thought that we were going to manage the game a little bit better.

"But of course, Atlanta is playing at home, they're going to push, they had a big crowd, and this is kind of the game that we expected."

Although they got just one point from the encounter, Miami can still secure the Supporters' Shield with nine points over the remaining five matches of the regular season.

In the Eastern Conference, they hold an eight-point lead over Cincinnati, who had goals from Yuya Kubo and Luca Orellano in a 2-1 victory over Minnesota.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.