Sinner to Play Alcaraz in China Open Final

Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
TT

Sinner to Play Alcaraz in China Open Final

Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner will play rival Carlos Alcaraz in the final of the China Open after recording a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory over home favorite Bu Yunchaokete on Tuesday.
Sinner and Alcaraz accounted for all four Grand Slam titles this year between them. Alcaraz leads the head-to-head series 5-4 — including wins at both their meetings this year — but Sinner doesn't believe that recent history will have a bearing on Wednesday's final.
“We know each other very well now, but every match is different, so the situation on the court is also a bit different than it was the last two matches,” The Associated Press quoted Sinner as saying.
The 23-year-old Italian is the defending champion and hasn't appeared distracted by the World Anti-Doping Agency announcing Saturday it was seeking a ban of one to two years for the US Open champion, who tested positive twice for an anabolic steroid in March.
Chinese wild card Yunchaokete, ranked 96th, couldn't take any of his three break-point chances in the first set.
Sinner’s experience proved crucial during the pivotal moments, especially in the second-set tiebreaker, where he surged to a 6-1 lead.
Earlier, third-ranked Alcaraz's athleticism was again on show as he advanced to the final with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Daniil Medvedev.
“I felt great on the court once again, so I’m really happy about it,” Alcaraz said. “I couldn’t ask for a better semifinal.”
The four-time Grand Slam champion — including this year's French Open and Wimbledon — extended his head-to-head record against the Russian to 6-2.
The 21-year-old Spaniard found his way through a testing first set that had five breaks of serve, but crucially it was Alcaraz's third service break in the 12th game that secured the set.
Alcaraz has now won eight straight matches — across the Davis Cup, Laver Cup and in Beijing — since his loss to Botic van de Zandschulp in the second round at the US Open.
Osaka out with back injury Coco Gauff advanced to the quarterfinals when Naomi Osaka retired at 3-6, 6-4 because of a lower back injury.
Osaka, a four-time major champion, was leading 4-3 in the second set before Gauff won three straight games.
The sixth-ranked Gauff then helped carry Osaka's bags off the court.
Gauff hit six aces compared to Osaka’s one and improved to 3-2 over her opponent at WTA tournaments.
She will next meet No. 115-ranked Yuliia Starodubtseva, who earlier upset No. 14 Anna Kalinskaya 7-5, 6-0.
Paula Badosa reeled off 11 of the last 12 games in a 6-4, 6-0 victory over US Open finalist Jessica Pegula to reach her eighth career quarterfinal at a WTA 1000-level event.
“She’s one the of the players I never want to face — she’s very solid, hits very flat, changes very well direction,” said Badosa, who was 0-3 previously against Pegula. “I prepared myself for a battle, but I think today everything worked pretty well."
Badosa next faces 35-year-old Chinese player Zhang Shuai, who continued her resurgence with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Magdalena Frech of Poland.
Zhang entered the China Open on a 24-match losing streak and ranked No. 595, but she's yet to drop a set in four matches this week.
Zhang is now into her first women's tour quarterfinal since Tokyo in 2022, and her first at a WTA 1000 tournament since Cincinnati in the same year.
“In this draw, everyone has a higher ranking than me,” Zhang said. “Just step on court, just play. So I do not have much to think about, to prepare. I will just focus on myself.”
Japan Open Arthur Fils saved a championship point and rallied to beat Ugo Humbert 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3 in the final of the Japan Open to earn his third tour-level title.
The championship point was in the second-set tiebreaker against his French compatriot.
The 20-year-old Fils struggled with an injury to his left leg for much of the second set and when trailing 4-3 in the second set — with three break points for his opponent — it looked almost certain that Humbert would go on to win his seventh final in seven appearances.
Fils defeated four top-20 opponents — US Open finalist Taylor Fritz, defending champion Ben Shelton, Holger Rune and Humbert — on his way to the title.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.