Vinicius Junior Scores Hat-Trick as Real Madrid Beats Dortmund 5-2 in Champions League

Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinicius Junior celebrates scoring a hat-trick and his team's fifth goal during the UEFA Champions League, league phase day 3 football match between Real Madrid CF and Borussia Dortmund at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on October 22, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinicius Junior celebrates scoring a hat-trick and his team's fifth goal during the UEFA Champions League, league phase day 3 football match between Real Madrid CF and Borussia Dortmund at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on October 22, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Vinicius Junior Scores Hat-Trick as Real Madrid Beats Dortmund 5-2 in Champions League

Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinicius Junior celebrates scoring a hat-trick and his team's fifth goal during the UEFA Champions League, league phase day 3 football match between Real Madrid CF and Borussia Dortmund at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on October 22, 2024. (AFP)
Real Madrid's Brazilian forward #07 Vinicius Junior celebrates scoring a hat-trick and his team's fifth goal during the UEFA Champions League, league phase day 3 football match between Real Madrid CF and Borussia Dortmund at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on October 22, 2024. (AFP)

Vinicius Junior scored a hat-trick as Real Madrid turned boos into cheers with a 5-2 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday, while Paris Saint-Germain dropped more points.

Madrid was 2-0 down at halftime in a rematch of last season’s final but rallied with three goals from Vinicius Junior — who also scored in the final in May — and one each from Antonio Rudiger and Lucas Vazquez.

The crowd had jeered loudly after the halftime whistle as Madrid struggled and looked set for its second straight Champions League loss following a 14-match unbeaten run in the competition.

“We know that when we are at home playing in front of our fans, anything can happen,” Vinicius Junior said. “When we got to the locker room, we were all very quiet, we just listened to the coach and we said only one thing, that if we scored the first goal, we would rally and win, and we did it again.”

Coming off a loss to Arsenal in its last Champions League game, PSG managed to level the score with an Achraf Hakimi goal after going into the break a goal down against Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, but couldn’t find a second goal in a 1-1 draw.

PSG, which has four points from three games, had a stoppage-time penalty overturned by video review.

Elsewhere, Aston Villa became the first team with three wins in the new Champions League format, and Arsenal’s injury list lengthened.

Pulisic’s corner goal

Christian Pulisic scored direct from a corner — and admitted it was an accident — while there was VAR heartbreak for 16-year-old Francesco Camarda as AC Milan beat Brugge 3-1 to end its wait for a Champions League win.

United States forward Pulisic seemed stunned by his feat — known as an “Olimpico” — as Milan finally earned its first three points, having lost its opening two games in the new-look format.

Belgium’s Brugge had to play most of the game with 10 men after Raphael Onyedika was sent off in the 40th minute but still leveled the score with a goal from Kyriani Sabbe in the 51st. Tijjani Reijnders later scored twice to give Milan the much-needed win.

Camarda was brought on in the 75th and became the youngest Italian debutant in the Champions League. He briefly thought he’d broken the record for youngest Champions League scorer too, but his header was ruled offside to halt joyous celebrations.

Arsenal bounces back

Arsenal steadied the ship after its 2-0 loss to Bournemouth last week in the English Premier League, beating Ukraine’s Shakhtar Donetsk 1-0, but ended the game with yet more injury worries.

Arsenal needed an own goal to get past Shakhtar as its attack struggled to deliver a cutting edge without injured pair Martin Odegaard and Bukayo Saka. Now, manager Mikel Arteta has to deal with an apparent knee injury for left back Riccardo Calafiori too, ahead of playing Liverpool on Sunday.

Gabriel Martinelli’s shot bounced off the post, hit the backside of goalkeeper Dmytro Riznyk and deflected into the net in the 29th at Emirates Stadium. Riznyk made amends by saving a penalty by Leandro Trossard in the 77th.

Villa on top

Playing in Europe’s top competition for the first time in 41 years, Villa is the only team to have won its first three games after beating Bologna 2-0. John McGinn and Jhon Duran were the second-half scorers at Villa Park for Unai Emery’s team.

Liverpool, Bayer Leverkusen, Brest and Benfica could all join Villa on nine points at the top of the 36-team standings when they play Wednesday.

El Bilal Touré scored in stoppage time to give Stuttgart a 1-0 win at Juventus, which ended a Champions League match with 10 men for a second straight time. Juventus goalkeeper Mattia Perin had stopped Enzo Millot’s penalty shortly before.

Wilfried Singo scored from around 30 meters (100 feet) out as Monaco stayed unbeaten with a 5-1 win over Red Star Belgrade. Monaco has seven points from its opening three games.

Girona earned its first-ever Champions League win by beating Slovan Bratislava 2-0. Sporting Lisbon beat Sturm Graz 2-0.



Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.


Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.