Man City Rising After Win over Chelsea While Liverpool Stays 6 Points Clear

Kevin De Bruyne of Manchester City in action during the English Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea, in Manchester, Britain, 25 January 2025.  EPA/TIM KEETON
Kevin De Bruyne of Manchester City in action during the English Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea, in Manchester, Britain, 25 January 2025. EPA/TIM KEETON
TT

Man City Rising After Win over Chelsea While Liverpool Stays 6 Points Clear

Kevin De Bruyne of Manchester City in action during the English Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea, in Manchester, Britain, 25 January 2025.  EPA/TIM KEETON
Kevin De Bruyne of Manchester City in action during the English Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea, in Manchester, Britain, 25 January 2025. EPA/TIM KEETON

Manchester City's Premier League revival gathered pace after beating Chelsea 3-1 moved Pep Guardiola's team up to fourth in the standings on Saturday.
The four-time defending champion remains 12 points behind leader Liverpool, but its unbeaten run in the league extended to six games after a stunning run of defeats at the end of last year.
Still, City had to come from behind at Etihad Stadium after a mistake from debutant Abdukodir Khusanov allowed Chelsea to go ahead inside three minutes, The Associated Press reported.
“Three points. We needed it," Guardiola said after City fought back through goals by Josko Gvardiol, Erling Haaland and Phil Foden. “Emotionally, they come back incredibly well.”
Liverpool kept up its charge towards the title by thrashing Ipswich 4-1 and staying six points clear.
Arsenal was second after winning at Wolverhampton 1-0, but third-placed Nottingham Forest was stunned by Bournemouth 5-0 on the south coast.
Fifth-placed Newcastle came back from a goal down to beat Southampton 3-1, with Alexander Isak scoring twice.
A record-extending fifth title looks beyond City but there are positive signs for Guardiola after the midseason collapse.
One win in 13 games, including nine losses from October to December, plunged City down the table in the league and the Champions League.
But victory against Chelsea lifted City back into the top four, even after a woeful start when Khusanov's weak header allowed Noni Madueke to open the scoring.
Gvardiol equalized shortly before halftime then an error from Chelsea goalkeeper Robert Sanchez — his league-leading fifth error this season leading to a goal — proved decisive in the 68th when he needlessly raced off his line and allowed Erling Haaland to fire City ahead.
“He is completely aware that he has to do better,” Chelsea coach Enzo Maresca said of Sanchez.
Foden completed City's comeback when bursting through late on, scoring in a fourth straight league game for the first time.
Chelsea looked capable of mounting a title challenge some weeks ago but a run of one win in seven has seen it drop to sixth.
Guardiola will have to hope another morale-boosting performance sets his team up well for the decisive Champions League game against Brugge on Wednesday, with City on the brink of elimination.
Liverpool coach Arne Slot called their latest win “almost a perfect performance” for 85 minutes.
Mohamed Salah scored his 100th league goal at Anfield and his 23rd overall this season.
Relegation-fighting Ipswich lost to Man City 6-0 last weekend and couldn’t cope with the power of the league leader either.
Dominik Szoboszlai opened the scoring and Salah doubled the lead in the 35th. Cody Gakpo scored in the 44th and 66th, his first league brace in nearly two years.
Jacob Greaves pulled one back late for Ipswich.
After blowing a two-goal lead against Aston Villa last week, Arsenal looked in danger of dropping more points at Wolverhampton when Myles Lewis-Skelly was sent off in the first half while the game was scoreless.
Wolves couldn’t take advantage of the extra man and were reduced to 10 when Joao Gomes was red-carded in the 70th.
It took four minutes for Arsenal to capitalize, with Riccardo Calafiori hitting the winner with left-footed volley from inside the box.
“We’re not going to give up on the title race," Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said. "We’re going to face any challenge, any situation like we have done today. Whether we win or not, that is a different question. We are going to try 100%, I guarantee we are going to be there."
Forest stunned Forest has been one of the surprise stories of the league but Bournemouth has quietly been putting together an impressive run of its own.
Still, few would have expected such a spectacular result at Vitality Stadium.
Dango Ouattara struck a second-half hat trick for Bournemouth in the 55th, 61st and 87th. Justin Kluivert and Antoine Semenyo were also on target, and US international Tyler Adams provided two assists.
Bournemouth is unbeaten in 12 games in all competitions and plays Liverpool at home next week.
Forest manager Nuno Espirito Santos, on his 51st birthday, was stunned by the result.
“We have to realize the things we did well until now, we have to do it,” he told the BBC. “When we don't do those things we are a very fragile team.”
Isak scores again Isak took his season tally to 19 goals as Newcastle bounced back from last week’s 4-1 defeat to Bournemouth.
Southampton, Newcastle went behind to Jan Bednarek’s goal in the 10th. Isak leveled from the penalty spot in the 26th and got his second four minutes later.
Sandro Tonali scored Newcastle’s third after the break.
Moyes magic David Moyes has made a quick impact at Everton after overseeing his second win in three games since returning as manager, and climbing seven points away from the relegation places.
Iliman Ndiaye’s penalty secured a 1-0 win at Brighton, which followed a victory against Tottenham last week.
Everton won only three times in the league under former manager Sean Dyche before Moyes was hired this month, returning to the club he led from 2002-13.
“I have got to say Dychey left an awful lot of good things at this football club,” Moyes said. “Resilience, being hard to beat, tough, they had all that. We are now just trying to add a little bit more.”



Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
TT

Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero

Mexico beat Ghana 2-0 in Puebla on Friday in a World Cup warm-up that offered a glimpse of the excitement building less than three weeks before the country opens the tournament.

While Puebla is not among Mexico's World Cup host cities, fans in green shirts created a lively atmosphere throughout the night. Repeated Mexican waves rolled around the stadium ⁠despite visible empty ⁠sections closed under FIFA sanctions linked to discriminatory chants at previous national team matches.

Brian Gutierrez set the tone immediately, curling home from the edge of the box after two minutes at Cuauhtemoc ⁠Stadium.

Teenage Liga MX sensation Gil Mora struck the post in the first half, and Alexis Vega had a header ruled out for offside before the break.

Ghana, with recently appointed coach Carlos Queiroz absent and assistants leading from the bench, threatened an equaliser early in the second half after forcing a pair of saves from the ⁠Mexican ⁠goalkeeper and hitting the crossbar.

But substitute Guillermo Martinez ended the visitors' hopes in the 54th minute, finishing off a counterattack to double Mexico's lead.

Coach Javier Aguirre used the friendly to continue evaluating players ahead of naming Mexico's final World Cup squad on June 1, with Europe-based players Edson Alvarez, Jorge Sanchez and Luis Chávez making second-half appearances after recently joining training camp.


Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
TT

Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)

Pep Guardiola is more than a football manager, using his high-profile platform to highlight causes close to his heart.

Legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly may have believed football was "much, much more important" than life or death but for Guardiola several things outside the "beautiful game" matter almost as much.

The 55-year-old Spaniard will step away from the Manchester City dugout on Sunday after winning 20 trophies in 10 years.

From Palestinian children to Catalan independence and homelessness in the United Kingdom, Guardiola has strayed outside the borders of his job to bang the drum for a diverse range of causes during that time.

He has made no bones about using his position as a podium to "speak up to be a better society".

Guardiola's most recent foray into sensitive political territory has been his passionate embrace of Palestinian children in Gaza during the two-year war with Israel and their suffering in the aftermath.

The war, sparked by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, has killed at least 72,568 people in Gaza. Victims included children from toddlers to late teens.

Hundreds of thousands of displaced people still live in tents, and conditions remain dire despite a ceasefire that came into effect in October.

The devastation is acutely felt by the youngest in society, a topic Guardiola felt sufficiently important to miss a pre-match press conference and attend a charity event, Act x Palestine, in Barcelona in January this year.

With a Palestinian keffiyeh draped round his neck, he went on the offensive.

"I think what we think when I see a child in these past two years with these images on social media, on television, recording himself, pleading 'where is my mother?' among the rubble, and he still doesn't know it," he said.

"And I always think: what must they be thinking? And I think we have left them alone, abandoned."

- 'I will stand up' -

While widely lauded, his forays into the delicate issue also met with opprobrium, not least from the representatives of Manchester's Jewish community.

Remarks he made last summer prompted them to write a letter to the Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak warning his comments put the lives of Jews living in Manchester "in danger".

Guardiola, though, was unbowed -- just as he was when he was fined £20,000 ($27,000) by the Football Association in 2018 for wearing a yellow ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in his native Catalonia.

It is not just the suffering of Palestinian children that has exercised his mind.

He spoke out at a press conference in February to deplore not only the violence in the Middle East but also Ukraine, Sudan and the deaths of two people in the United States at the hands of ICE agents.

"When you have an idea and you need to defend (it) and you have to kill thousands, thousands of people -- I'm sorry, I will stand up," he said.

"Always I will be there. Always."

However, with anti-Semitism on the rise, the Jewish Representative Council of Greater Manchester and Region was angered that he made no reference to a terror attack on a synagogue in the city last October which resulted in two deaths.

Guardiola has also paid attention to those who suffer closer to home.

For several years his Guardiola Sala Foundation has supported the Salvation Army's Partnership Trophy, a five-a-side football tournament in Manchester which raised awareness of homelessness in the United Kingdom.

"It's so encouraging to witness how football can bring people together and help them overcome really tough personal challenges," he said.


Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Friday that he and Mohamed Salah both care about the club's success after the Egyptian questioned their style of play in a social media post.

Slot, however, declined to confirm whether the forward, who is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season, would feature in the club's final game of the campaign at Anfield against Brentford on Sunday.

In a post on X, Salah urged the club to rediscover their attacking identity after a painful 4-2 defeat by Aston Villa left Champions League qualification in the balance

"Mo and I have the same interests, we want the best for this club, we want it to be as successful as possible. We were both part of giving our fans their first title for five years, but we are also aware we haven't brought that same level this season," Slot told reporters on Friday.

"What we and I want is for the club to be as successful as last season. And that is where my main focus is on now because the game on Sunday could give us a really good base for next season.

"I never say anything about team selection, so it would be a surprise to you if I did that right now."

Salah, third on Liverpool's all-time top-scorers list, had highlighted the club's inconsistent campaign and called for a return to the aggressive style that brought previous success under former manager Juergen Klopp.

However, the Dutchman said the forward's criticism had not affected the team's training as they prepare to host Brentford.

With one more Champions League spot up for grabs, fifth-placed Liverpool, on 59 points, will aim to maintain their three-point lead and six-goal-difference advantage over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

"I don't think it is important what I feel, what is important is we qualify for the Champions League on Sunday," Slot added.

"So I prepare Mo and the whole of the team in the best possible way, that is what matters. I was very disappointed after our loss against Villa, as a win would've given us Champions League qualification, and now there is one game to go and it is vital for us as a club."

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker resumed training on Friday and is expected to be fit for the final game, Slot said, after being sidelined since mid-March with a hamstring injury.