Real Madrid Beats Leganes 3-2 to Reach Copa Semifinals

Soccer Football - Copa del Rey - Quarter Final - Leganes v Real Madrid - Estadio Municipal de Butarque, Leganes, Spain - February 5, 2025 Real Madrid's Gonzalo Garcia celebrates scoring their third goal REUTERS/Juan Medina
Soccer Football - Copa del Rey - Quarter Final - Leganes v Real Madrid - Estadio Municipal de Butarque, Leganes, Spain - February 5, 2025 Real Madrid's Gonzalo Garcia celebrates scoring their third goal REUTERS/Juan Medina
TT

Real Madrid Beats Leganes 3-2 to Reach Copa Semifinals

Soccer Football - Copa del Rey - Quarter Final - Leganes v Real Madrid - Estadio Municipal de Butarque, Leganes, Spain - February 5, 2025 Real Madrid's Gonzalo Garcia celebrates scoring their third goal REUTERS/Juan Medina
Soccer Football - Copa del Rey - Quarter Final - Leganes v Real Madrid - Estadio Municipal de Butarque, Leganes, Spain - February 5, 2025 Real Madrid's Gonzalo Garcia celebrates scoring their third goal REUTERS/Juan Medina

Gonzalo García scored in stoppage time as Real Madrid avoided an upset by defeating Leganes 3-2 to reach the semifinals of the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.
Madrid had taken a two-goal lead at halftime with Luka Modric and Endrick before the hosts rallied to even the match in the second half.
The 20-year-old García, a striker who usually plays with Madrid's “B” team, sealed the victory with a header three minutes into stoppage time after a cross by Brahim Díaz, The Associated Press reported.
“I’m thrilled, filled with emotions. It has been a dream since I was a child and since I joined the youth teams. I’m happy to have scored the goal that gave us a place in the semifinals," García said. “It was a perfect cross by Brahim and the ball went in by itself.”
Another setback would have been troublesome for Madrid after it lost 1-0 at Espanyol in the Spanish league on Saturday for its second defeat in 15 matches across all competitions. Madrid had needed extra time to eliminate Celta Vigo at home in the round of 16 of the Copa last month.
“We suffered but we are in the semifinals of the Copa del Rey,” Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said. “We have to be satisfied with the outcome.”
Modric opened the scoring with a strike from close range in the 18th and Endrick doubled the lead after picking up a loose ball inside the area in the 25th.
The hosts rallied with Juan Cruz converting a penalty kick in the 39th and finding the net with a shot that deflected on a defender in the 59th.
Madrid nearly moved ahead again when Díaz's flick over the goalkeeper struck the crossbar in the 75th.
Atletico Madrid had become the first team to reach the semifinals when it routed Getafe 5-0 at home on Tuesday with a pair of goals by Giuliano Simeone, the 22-year-old son of Atletico coach Diego Simeone.
In the other two quarterfinals on Thursday, it will be Real Sociedad hosting Osasuna and Barcelona playing at Valencia.
Madrid was depleted in defense because of recent injuries to Antonio Rüdiger and David Alaba. Éder Militão and Dani Carvajal had already been out with long-term ailments.
Ancelotti used youngsters Jacobo Ramón and Raúl Asencio as the central defenders, and improvised midfielder Federico Valverde in the right back position. Valverde picked up his 200th win in 295 matches with Madrid.
Ancelotti praised the youth-squad players who came through for the main team.
“The youngsters have been doing a very good job,” Ancelotti said. “They lack experience but have been doing very well. We know that we can count on them.”
Ancelotti rested some regular starters ahead of the Spanish league derby against Atletico at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium on Saturday. Madrid leads Atletico by one point at the top of the standings.
Madrid last won the Copa in 2022-23. It was eliminated by Atletico in the round of 16 last season.
Leganes only made it to the Copa semifinals in 2017-18, when it was eliminated by Sevilla. It is winless in three matches in all competitions and sits in 16th place in the Spanish league.



Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
TT

Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa

Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies suffered a muscle injury during Saturday's 3-2 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena, the German club said.

Davies, who recently returned to action after a long-term knee injury, was replaced by Hiroki Ito in the 50th minute after the Canadian collapsed and required ⁠medical treatment.

"Alphonso Davies ⁠suffered a torn muscle fibre in his right hamstring in the 3-2 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt. This was confirmed by ... FC Bayern’s medical unit," ⁠the side said in a statement.

"The defender will be sidelined for the time being."

While the length of Davies' absence remains unconfirmed, manager Vincent Kompany expressed hope he would return within two to four weeks.

"It doesn't look so bad," Kompany said after the match, according to Reuters.

"I ⁠don't ⁠know if it will be two or four weeks," he told reporters. "My gut feeling is that it won't take that long."

Bayern, who are on top of the Bundesliga table with 60 points in 23 games, will face the second-placed Borussia Dortmund next Saturday. 
 


Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
TT

Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri said they were racially abused on social media following their sides’ 1-1 Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Fofana, who was sent off in the 72nd minute after receiving a second yellow card for a challenge on James Ward-Prowse, shared screenshots of messages he received on Instagram after the match.

"2026, it’s still the same thing, nothing changes," the Frenchman wrote on Instagram, according to Reuters. "These people are never punished. You create big campaigns against racism, but nobody actually does anything."

Chelsea condemned the abuse on their official website.

"Such behavior ⁠is completely unacceptable ⁠and runs counter to the values of the game and everything we stand for as a club. There is no room for racism," they said in a statement.

"We stand unequivocally with Wes. He has our full support, as do all our players, who are too often forced to endure ⁠this hatred simply for doing their job.

"We will work with the relevant authorities and platforms in identifying the perpetrators and take the strongest possible action."

Mejbri, who was fouled for the first of the two yellow cards that led to Fofana’s dismissal, also posted the messages he received on social media.

"Educate yourself and your kids," he wrote in an Instagram story.

Burnley backed the Tunisian in a statement, saying there was no space for racism at the club.

"There is no place for this ⁠in our ⁠society and we condemn it unreservedly," they said on their website.

"The club continues to be unequivocal in its stance – we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

"The club has reported the post to Instagram’s parent company, Meta, and expects strong support from them, together with the Premier League and the police, and will work to ensure that the individual responsible is identified and investigated."

The draw moved Chelsea into fourth place on goal difference ahead of Michael Carrick’s Manchester United, who face Everton on Monday and could reclaim the position with a win.


Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
TT

Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)

The pressure is on Arsenal after Manchester City cut its lead at the top of the Premier League to two points on Saturday.

Second-place City beat Newcastle 2-1 to turn the heat up on the title race.
Victory at the Etihad Stadium piles the pressure on leader Arsenal ahead of Sunday's north London derby against Tottenham.

Nico O'Reilly scored both goals for Pep Guardiola's team and extended its unbeaten run in the league to five.

“The win was the most important thing. Try to close the gap as well as apply as much pressure as possible, but (I'm) also very happy with the two goals,” The Associated Press quoted O'Reilly as saying. “It’s a lot of games to go, we just need to take each game as it comes.”

City also moved further clear of third-place Aston Villa, which drew 1-1 with Leeds. Chelsea is fourth after a 1-1 draw with Burnley.

City is the team chasing down Arsenal, which has stumbled in recent weeks with only two wins in its last seven.

By contrast, City is finding form at the right time for a title run and ground out victory against Newcastle.

Guardiola and his players appeared to acknowledge how important the result could be as they embraced each other after the final whistle.

The momentum is with City at the top of the standings having cut back Arsenal’s lead, which was nine points earlier this month.

Three straight wins against Liverpool, Fulham and Newcastle have changed the complexion of the title race, while Arsenal has drawn back-to-back games against Brentford and Wolves.

O’Reilly’s 14th minute strike put City ahead against Newcastle, but Lewis Hall leveled in the 22nd.

O’Reilly got his second with a header across goal five minutes later.

City defended deep in the second half as Newcastle went in search of an equalizer and held out for the win.

“We won today, but it’s a step at a time,” said Guardiola. “Seventy percent of the players never played in that situation (challenging for the title), and I don’t play. So we have to live it. They know, we know, that every game until the end of the season will be like this.”

Aston Villa's title challenge was hit after being held to a 1-1 draw at home to relegation-fighting Leeds on Saturday.

It took an 88th-minute equalizer from substitute Tammy Abraham to rescue a point for Villa — but the draw means Unai Emery's team could be cut further adrift of Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the standings.

“There are two sides — one is that we lost two points, or that we won one point,” Villa coach Unai Emery said. “We have 51 points. Today, we lost two, or we won one. At this point, hopefully, we can get the next matches, understanding this point better.”

Villa's draw leaves it seven points behind Arsenal and continued its shaky recent form of just one win in four in the league.

It could have been worse after Aton Stach put Leeds ahead from free kick in the 31st.

Abraham, a January signing from Besiktas, came on in the 75th and leveled from close range for his first Premier League goal since his move to Villa Park.

Leeds is seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chelsea hit by late goal Zian Flemming scored in the 93rd at Stamford Bridge to salvage a draw for second to last place Burnley.

Joao Pedro's goal in the fourth looked like being enough for the home team, which went down to 10 men when Wesley Fofana was sent off in the 72nd.

“You need to be ruthless in this league because if you don’t defend set plays well then you get punished," Chelsea coach Liam Rosenior said. “I felt we were very happy — and it’s not the way I want to play — just to maintain possession, I want us to go for more goals."

The point moved Chelsea up to fourth — above Manchester United on goal difference, having played a game more. But the race for Champions League qualification could be even tighter by the end of the weekend with Liverpool now having the chance to move level on points with Chelsea if it beats Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

United plays Everton on Monday.

James Milner played his 654th game in the Premier League to set a new appearance record for the competition.

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the previous benchmark set by Gareth Barry, which had stood since 2018. And he doesn't sound like he's ready to call it a day yet.

"I’ll keep pushing, let’s see where that takes us,” Milner said after Brighton's 2-0 win, which delivered a setback to Brentford's Champions League challenge.

Goals from Diego Gomez and Danny Welbeck put Brighton in control before the break at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Brentford is five points off the Champions League places.

Adams returns from injury US international Tyler Adams was back on the field for Bournemouth — making his first appearance since tearing his left MCL on Dec. 15.

Adams was in the starting lineup for the 0-0 draw against West Ham and played for 66 minutes before being replaced by Ryan Christie.

It’s now just one loss in six for West Ham as its battle to avoid the drop continues to gain momentum.

West Ham, in 17th, is two points away from safety, but has played a game more than its closest rival Forest.