Italian Club Parma Hires Cristian Chivu as Coach for Relegation Battle in Serie A 

Parma’s Giovanni Leoni (C) celebrates after scoring the 2-1 goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Cagliari Calcio and Parma Calcio 1913, in Cagliari, Italy, 09 February 2025. (EPA)
Parma’s Giovanni Leoni (C) celebrates after scoring the 2-1 goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Cagliari Calcio and Parma Calcio 1913, in Cagliari, Italy, 09 February 2025. (EPA)
TT

Italian Club Parma Hires Cristian Chivu as Coach for Relegation Battle in Serie A 

Parma’s Giovanni Leoni (C) celebrates after scoring the 2-1 goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Cagliari Calcio and Parma Calcio 1913, in Cagliari, Italy, 09 February 2025. (EPA)
Parma’s Giovanni Leoni (C) celebrates after scoring the 2-1 goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Cagliari Calcio and Parma Calcio 1913, in Cagliari, Italy, 09 February 2025. (EPA)

Relegation-threatened Parma hired Cristian Chivu as coach on Tuesday with the team 18th in the 20-team Serie A.

Parma announced the appointment in a statement that did not specify contract details, but according to reports Chivu's deal runs until the end of next season.

The former Romania defender, who was working as a youth coach at Inter Milan, will lead the team for the first time when it hosts Bologna on Saturday.

Parma lost four straight games before firing Fabio Pecchia on Monday and has not won a league game in 2025.



'We're Here Solely to Play Football,' Insists North Korean Coach

North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
TT

'We're Here Solely to Play Football,' Insists North Korean Coach

North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP

The coach of the first North Korean sports team to visit the South in eight years batted away questions Tuesday about the prospect of South Koreans cheering his side, saying: "We are here solely to play football."

Naegohyang Women's FC will face South Korea's Suwon FC Women in the semi-finals of the Asian Women's Champions League on Wednesday.

Interest in the rare North-South clash has been intense and 7,087 general admission tickets sold out within hours of going on sale last week, said AFP.

Naegohyang's arrival at South Korea's Incheon International Airport on Sunday saw players and officials surrounded by throngs of reporters and supporters holding welcome signs.

Around 3,000 spectators from civic groups backed by Seoul's unification ministry are expected to cheer both teams, but there will be no official away supporters because North Koreans are generally not allowed into the South.

Naegohyang head coach Ri Yu Il brushed off questions about what he thought about the prospect of South Koreans cheering his side during Tuesday's pre-match press conference.

"I'm not sure whether similar questions will continue to come up," he said.

"But we are here solely to play football.

"Simply put, we will focus only on each match," he added.

"Therefore, the issue of the supporters is not something I, as a coach, or our players need to concern ourselves with.

"We will concentrate exclusively on the game."

- No emotion -

The Seoul government has provided US$200,000 to support South Korean civic groups planning to cheer both teams at the match.

According to local media, civic groups have been discussing cheering guidelines with the authorities, because waving North Korean national flags in public is prohibited under the national security law.

In past such events held in the South, civic groups instead waved flags depicting the Korean Peninsula.

Both Ri and the team captain, Kim Kyong Yong, sat through the press conference without showing any emotion, and their answers were translated by a North Korean interpreter.

Kim said: "We will give our all to repay the trust and expectations of our people and our parents and families."

The winner of the semi-final will play either Australia's Melbourne City or Japan's Tokyo Verdy Beleza, also in Suwon, in Saturday's final.

The two teams clashed in the group stage earlier in the competition, with Naegohyang winning 3-0, but the coach said that would count for little on Wednesday.

"Just because they played in the group stage, it would be absolutely wrong to say that one team is stronger or weaker than another based solely on those results," Ri said.

"For us, our focus is simply on doing our best to achieve a good result in tomorrow's match."

Women's football is one of North Korea's strongest international sports, with their national sides regularly competing at the highest levels in Asia and globally.

North Korea rank 11th in the FIFA Women's World Ranking, far above their men's team, which is ranked 118th.

The visit comes with Pyongyang being unresponsive to Seoul's repeated unconditional dialogue proposals under President Lee Jae Myung, who has taken a much softer stance than his conservative predecessor.

The two Koreas are technically at war as the 1950-53 Korean conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.


PSG's Dembele Has Treatment for Leg Issue Before Champions League Final

PSG's Ousmane Dembele runs with the ball during the French League One soccer match between Lens and Paris Saint Germain, in Lens, northern France, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP)
PSG's Ousmane Dembele runs with the ball during the French League One soccer match between Lens and Paris Saint Germain, in Lens, northern France, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP)
TT

PSG's Dembele Has Treatment for Leg Issue Before Champions League Final

PSG's Ousmane Dembele runs with the ball during the French League One soccer match between Lens and Paris Saint Germain, in Lens, northern France, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP)
PSG's Ousmane Dembele runs with the ball during the French League One soccer match between Lens and Paris Saint Germain, in Lens, northern France, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP)

Paris Saint-Germain forward Ousmane Dembele needs treatment for a right calf issue, the French club said Monday, ahead of the Champions League final against Arsenal later this month.

The Ballon d'Or winner was substituted after half an hour during Sunday's 2-1 Ligue 1 defeat against Paris FC "as a precaution after experiencing some discomfort in his right calf," PSG said in a statement.

"Dembele will be having treatment over the next few days," the club added.

The 29-year-old did not appear to be struggling when he left the field and boarded the team bus after the match without limping.

"I think it is just due to fatigue," coach Luis Enrique told the press on Sunday.

"It has been a tricky end to the season but now we have two weeks to prepare for the biggest match in our history."

The former Barcelona player has suffered numerous physical setbacks this season, particularly thigh and calf issues.

Meanwhile, Achraf Hakimi resumed individual training on Saturday after a thigh problem, as did Willian Pacho, Nuno Mendes, and Lucas Chevalier.

All three were unavailable for Sunday's match against Paris FC.

PSG clinched a fifth straight French title, and a record-extending 14th overall, with a 2-0 win over nearest challengers Lens last Wednesday.

Luis Enrique's side face Arsenal in Budapest on May 30, when they will attempt to retain the European crown they won for the first time in the club's history last season.


Iran Squad Arrives in Türkiye for Training amid World Cup Uncertainty 

Iran's players and staff pose ahead of a training session in Antalya in March © Adem ALTAN / AFP/File
Iran's players and staff pose ahead of a training session in Antalya in March © Adem ALTAN / AFP/File
TT

Iran Squad Arrives in Türkiye for Training amid World Cup Uncertainty 

Iran's players and staff pose ahead of a training session in Antalya in March © Adem ALTAN / AFP/File
Iran's players and staff pose ahead of a training session in Antalya in March © Adem ALTAN / AFP/File

Iran’s national soccer squad landed in Türkiye for a training camp on Monday ahead of their planned trip to the US for the World Cup, with uncertainty still hanging over the team's participation after the US and Israel attacked Iran in late February. FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom told Reuters on Saturday that he held a constructive and positive meeting with Iran's FA (FFIRI) President Mehdi Taj, expressing confidence about the country's participation in the World Cup.

The players and officials filed out of Antalya Airport in black team outfits, many pulling black suitcases, before heading to waiting buses to travel to their hotel at the training base in the nearby resort of Belek, where several national teams have held camps in recent years.

Iran are scheduled to play all three group matches in the United States but the team's participation in the June 11 to July 19 tournament has been in question since the attacks by the US and Israel.

Iranian officials and FIFA have said US visa applications for the team would be handled in Türkiye. Uncertainty over the visas was fuelled after FFIRI's Taj was refused entry to Canada for the FIFA Congress in Vancouver this month because of his links to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

The US and Canada, who are co-hosting the World Cup with Mexico, classify the IRGC as a "terrorist entity" and have made clear they will not admit people with links to the elite military force.

Iran had asked for their World Cup matches to be switched to Mexico but FIFA President Gianni Infantino insists that all games must be played at the grounds originally scheduled.

Iran's squad is scheduled to move to their US base at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona in early June.

Iran are scheduled to get their World Cup campaign under way against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. They are also due to play Belgium and Egypt in Group G.