Hamilton Wants a Faster Ferrari to Challenge McLaren at F1's Sprint Weekend in China 

Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
TT

Hamilton Wants a Faster Ferrari to Challenge McLaren at F1's Sprint Weekend in China 

Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)

McLaren's dominance, Lewis Hamilton's bid to bounce back after a disappointing debut for Ferrari, and the death of Eddie Jordan have generated headlines as Formula 1 prepares for its first Sprint weekend of the season at the Chinese Grand Prix.

Lando Norris arrived in Shanghai atop the drivers' standings for the first time following his win at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last Sunday, but it was his qualifying pace for McLaren — and not just holding off Red Bull's Max Verstappen — that had his rivals on edge ahead of practice.

McLaren's pace

Mercedes driver George Russell went so far as to say McLaren could win every race this season, describing its raw pace advantage as "bigger than Red Bull has ever had". But while Norris' teammate Oscar Piastri strongly refuted the claim — stating the form would change between rounds – the rest of the paddock wasn't so sure.

"They're definitely ahead," Ferrari's Charles Leclerc said. "The gap in qualifying, the gap that there was (in Australia, 0.385sec to the nearest non-McLaren) is more or less what there is."

"I think we are around Mercedes and Red Bull in terms of lap times if we put everything together," Leclerc said, "so there's still a big chunk to get McLaren then."

Norris and McLaren lived up to the hype when the British driver finished first in the opening practice session Friday. He finished almost half a second ahead of Leclerc.

Norris spent most of the session finding the limits of his McLaren car, with various off-track excursions while his rivals traded times at the top. But the title aspirant showed his hand near the end with a 0.454-second advantage.

Piastri was third, with his last lap compromised after he went wide at the final turn 16. Hamilton looked more comfortable up in fourth, ahead of early pacesetter Russell, who closed out the top five.

Alpine's Jack Doohan provided the major drama of the session with 15 minutes remaining following a power steering issue that forced him to stop out on track at the exit of turn 10. The Australian is under pressure at Alpine, following a lap-one crash in Melbourne.

It's unclear if a new technical directive will shuffle the order in China, with FIA, the sport's governing body, cracking down on rear wing flexing with a tougher static load test.

None of the drivers were forthcoming, as to what triggered the FIA's new interpretation, or who it was most expected to impact.

"We don't have to change anything," Norris said. "Ours is fine. In fact, ours was probably too good, and we probably weren't pushing the limits enough. If this technical directive had been applied last weekend, we would've been fine.

"It seems to be directed (at) other teams, which probably means we should push it a little bit more."

Hamilton primed for improvement

For seven-time world champion Hamilton, China is a chance for a reset after a difficult Ferrari debut at Melbourne's Albert Park last weekend, where he qualified eighth, briefly took the lead, but couldn't hold onto it because of the team's tire strategy.

But the 40-year-old, who is F1's most successful driver with a record 105 GP wins and 104 pole positions, says he still needs more time to bring the full force of his experience to his new team.

"As I get more comfortable and more knowledgeable about the car, I can start making more decisions," Hamilton said of his preferred set up. "I'm having those discussions, and I'm going to lean a little bit more with adding my experience hopefully a bit more in it."

Hamilton is hopeful that the Australian GP was an outlier for him and for Ferrari.

"I hope so," he said. "I think our car looked pretty decent on Friday (in Australia) and even on Saturday morning. So, I think it's a bit of a one-off."

Another tough test for F1's rookies

China's Sprint weekend format will be another challenge for F1's six rookies. The track has been completely resurfaced and there's just one practice session, making it more difficult to get a baseline setup before Sprint qualifying.

Mercedes rookie Andrea Kimi Antonelli said it feels like a return to F2, with its compacted schedule, but the Italian knows what he has to do

"You want to finish free practice and say 'Okay, like I got to a good level of driving. I'm not so far from the limit and I know where I have to make the step for qualifying,'" Antonelli said. "The important thing is going to be to get as close as possible to the limit without making any big mistakes."

At Racing Bulls, Isack Hadjar is ready to put the pain of Melbourne behind him, having put his car into the Turn 2 barrier on the formation lap.

In the aftermath of his crash, Hadjar was seen walking back to the garage crying with his hands up to his helmet. Red Bull motorsport consultant Doctor Helmut Marko said it was embarrassing, but Hamilton's father, Anthony, sought Hadjar out for some reassuring words.

"It was a nice moment, sharing time with someone like Anthony as well — obviously, the dad of my idol," Hadjar said. "So that was quite a special moment. And Lewis sent me a message later that day. Really classy guys."

RIP Eddie Jordan

Sadness descended on the F1 community on Thursday with news that ex-team owner Eddie Jordan had died.

Beloved throughout the sport "EJ" ran the Jordan team from 1991 to 2005. His humor, strong opinions and deep contacts made Jordan a popular media pundit after he sold the team – with his most recent project being the "Formula for Success" podcast he co-hosted with ex-F1 driver David Coulthard.

The 76-year-old Jordan also acted as the manager for design great Adrian Newey when he left Red Bull for Aston Martin last year.

Jordan was undergoing cancer treatment before he died. His family issued a statement, published by rugby club London Irish, where Jordan was a patron, to say he "passed away peacefully with family by his side in Cape Town."

Sky Sports commentator Martin Brundle, who drove for Jordan in 1996, led the emotional tributes from the sport.

"What a character. What a rock star. What a racer," Brundle posted on social media. "So many drivers owe you so much, you gave us our chances and believed in us."

Racing The first Sprint weekend for 2025 begins at the Shanghai International Circuit on Friday, with sprint qualifying set at 3.30 p.m. (0730 GMT) ahead of Saturday's race.



Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.


Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.