Fireworks, Drones and Global Beats Kick Off Esports World Cup in Riyadh

Saudi Esports Federation Chairman Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Saudi Esports Federation Chairman Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Fireworks, Drones and Global Beats Kick Off Esports World Cup in Riyadh

Saudi Esports Federation Chairman Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Saudi Esports Federation Chairman Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Amid thundering music, fireworks and buzzing drones, the inaugural matches of the 2025 Esports World Cup kicked off in Riyadh’s Boulevard City on Wednesday, drawing thousands of fans on the ground and millions more online.

Running through August 24, the global tournament offers a record-breaking prize pool of more than $70 million – the largest in the history of competitive gaming.

Saudi Esports Federation Chairman Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan welcomed the global gaming community to the 2025 Esports World Cup, calling the tournament a growing symbol of Saudi Arabia’s emergence as a hub for the fast-rising industry.

“It’s a great honor to officially launch the 2025 Esports World Cup,” Prince Faisal said at a press conference in Riyadh. “This event has become an annual gathering for global talent and fans, reinforcing the Kingdom’s position as the world capital of esports and a rising force in this dynamic region.”

Reflecting on last year’s tournament, he said the 2024 edition brought together 1,500 participants and attracted 2.6 million visitors - a first for the industry.

“But that was only the beginning,” he said. “Now, I’m thinking about legacy - what we can do to build something lasting. I’m truly grateful to be part of a team that’s bringing joy to people’s lives and uniting them through esports.”

This year’s event is expected to welcome 2,000 players, 200 teams, and over 100 professional athletes. Prince Faisal said visitor numbers could double in the coming weeks.

“This event brings together the best players, the finest clubs, the strongest teams and the most passionate fans on a single global stage,” said Faisal bin Homran, Chief Product Officer at the Esports World Cup Foundation. “Tonight, I want to go beyond the surface. I want to share the deeper meaning behind esports and why we’re really here.”

He said the foundation of the Esports World Cup lies in a four-part model built around unity: clubs, teams, players, and delivering the best competitive experience.

“To bring in the most compelling games, we’ve worked closely with publishers to introduce new, high-value titles,” bin Homran added.

“Last year, we welcomed 30 elite clubs into a dedicated program. This year, we’ve expanded into new markets, especially India and China, bringing that number to 40. These clubs help tell the story of the EWC through their journeys, emotions and year-round narratives.”

Ralf Reichert, CEO of the Esports World Cup Foundation, said the tournament was born from a clear, simple vision: to unite top-tier players from elite clubs worldwide and have them compete across premier titles for life-changing prizes.

The tournament's unique multi-game format is aimed at uniting the international gaming community under one banner.

According to Reichert, the impact of last year’s edition proved what’s possible when players, fans, clubs, publishers, and partners are placed at the heart of the experience. Since then, the event has grown at a pace that has exceeded expectations — not only in terms of games, but also in the scale of its global reach and media coverage.

This year’s tournament is being positioned as the most expansive yet, with a strong emphasis on collaboration, shared purpose, and building a lasting esports legacy.

Backed by Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman and the host city Riyadh, the event is also contributing to long-term infrastructure, economic growth, and a sustainable gaming ecosystem meant to endure well beyond the competition itself.

At its core, the 2025 Esports World Cup champions a simple yet powerful idea: unifying the global esports and gaming community across borders and titles, while creating a foundation for future generations

 



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.