How New Rules Will Shake Up Formula 1 in 2026, and What Could Still Change 

Formula One F1 - Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy - September 7, 2025 Red Bull's Max Verstappen leads into the first corner at the start of the race ahead of McLaren's Lando Norris and McLaren's Oscar Piastri. (Reuters)
Formula One F1 - Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy - September 7, 2025 Red Bull's Max Verstappen leads into the first corner at the start of the race ahead of McLaren's Lando Norris and McLaren's Oscar Piastri. (Reuters)
TT

How New Rules Will Shake Up Formula 1 in 2026, and What Could Still Change 

Formula One F1 - Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy - September 7, 2025 Red Bull's Max Verstappen leads into the first corner at the start of the race ahead of McLaren's Lando Norris and McLaren's Oscar Piastri. (Reuters)
Formula One F1 - Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy - September 7, 2025 Red Bull's Max Verstappen leads into the first corner at the start of the race ahead of McLaren's Lando Norris and McLaren's Oscar Piastri. (Reuters)

Next year, Formula 1 will see one of its biggest changes in a generation.

Sweeping new regulations will change how cars look, sound and run. The goal is to make them more “agile, competitive, safer and more sustainable," governing body FIA says. Some teams all but abandoned their 2025 car designs early this year in search of the biggest boost they could get in 2026.

The Associated Press spoke with Nikolas Tombazis, who is overseeing the transition to the new rules as the director for single-seater racing series at the FIA, to explain how the changes will affect the action on track and what could still change.

‘Bigger gaps’ possible Teams are guarding their development data, but what has become public suggests the slowest cars could be way off the pace.

Tire manufacturer Pirelli has confirmed to The AP that estimated lap times it has received from teams vary by as much as four seconds, a relative eternity in F1. Tombazis acknowledges new engine manufacturers may need extra development time to catch up on “15 years of know-how” from the likes of Mercedes.

F1 has a rule which could in theory rule cars out if their qualifying times aren't within 107% of the fastest car. So could cars be deemed too slow to race?

“I think 107% is pretty unlikely, in my view,” Tombazis said. “Next year we have a wider level of uncertainty in performances, it’s absolutely true. We have newcomers. We have new regulations. Two of those things combined can mean that there could be bigger gaps in some places.”

The difference to 2025 could be stark. Despite McLaren’s dominance so far this season, six different teams have finished on the podium and less than a second has separated the entire field in some qualifying sessions.

Solving a ‘scare story’ F1's strict testing rules mean these cars aren't on track, they're only in simulations made by the teams. Sometimes that can throw up alarming results, Tombazis said.

“When there’s a scare story of ‘OK, I drove the car and it did XYZ,’ in 99% of the cases (of) that XYZ that maybe has worried the driver or a team, we then sit down and resolve,” he said.

One key area where rules could still adapt is how much work the drivers have to do. The new rules' emphasis on electric power means judging when and how to deploy that power could be a key skill. It's not yet clear how much of that will be automated.

Tombazis said the “extra work” of managing a car is already a key skill and forms a big part of the team radio chat that is so popular with fans, but "what we don’t want to do is create a situation where it goes to the other extreme, where the driving becomes like a chess game where it’s just a matter of energy management and energy deployment.”

Avoiding ‘eternal misery’ The new rules keep the turbo hybrid engine design first introduced in 2014, but with more emphasis on electrical power. Many in F1 expect Mercedes, whose engines have powered teams to nine constructors' title since 2014, will be the manufacturer to beat.

Struggling manufacturers can get exemptions allowing them to spend above the cost cap to develop upgrades for engines which are deemed too uncompetitive or unreliable. The FIA will check every six races to see who is eligible for the boost.

The cost cap “is essential for the financial sustainability of the sport, so I would obviously defend that to death,” Tombazis said.

“But on the other hand, it creates a problem that if you are behind in performance in a significant manner and you cannot outspend to recover the performance, you may be condemned to eternal misery by being eternally behind.”

It won't be an instant fix. Tombazis emphasized. It just gives the manufacturer a chance to research a solution.

“We’re not adding any artificial performance to any car or artificial ballast on any car or anything like that,” he said. “This is absolutely not something that will ever happen in Formula 1.”

Racing in the rain Full wet tires might be the least useful item in the whole F1 paddock. When it's wet enough to use them, the tails of spray coming from the cars usually mean visibility is too poor to race.

That's partly because of the aerodynamic floors on the current cars. So the next generation could potentially mean more wet racing.

“I would be lying if I said that we had complete confidence about how the cars will perform in the rain in terms of spray and visibility,” Tombazis said, adding the FIA wants to stop a repeat of the 2021 Belgian Grand Prix, when no green-flag racing was possible.

“When spectators pay a lot of money to spend the whole weekend sitting in attendance to watch a race and then eventually they have to go home (after very limited racing), that is absolutely terrible,” he said. “There’s a number of projects which are being evaluated in order to minimize the chance of that ever happening again and I think there are some promising trends.”



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.