Teenage Super Sub Mbaye Could Prove Decisive for Senegal

Senegal's Ibrahim Mbaye celebrates after scoring during the Africa Cup of Nations best of 16 soccer match between Senegal and Sudan in Tangier, Morocco, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026. (AP)
Senegal's Ibrahim Mbaye celebrates after scoring during the Africa Cup of Nations best of 16 soccer match between Senegal and Sudan in Tangier, Morocco, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026. (AP)
TT

Teenage Super Sub Mbaye Could Prove Decisive for Senegal

Senegal's Ibrahim Mbaye celebrates after scoring during the Africa Cup of Nations best of 16 soccer match between Senegal and Sudan in Tangier, Morocco, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026. (AP)
Senegal's Ibrahim Mbaye celebrates after scoring during the Africa Cup of Nations best of 16 soccer match between Senegal and Sudan in Tangier, Morocco, Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026. (AP)

Senegal’s 17-year-old Ibrahim Mbaye has emerged as a potential future star for African football, and his role as a super substitute at ​the Africa Cup of Nations could yet prove decisive for his team.

One of a number of exciting new players on display over the last three weeks at the tournament in Morocco, Mbaye has made the biggest impact, featuring in each of Senegal’s matches off the bench.

As they prepare to face Egypt in Wednesday’s semi-final in Tangiers, his impact will be part of the planning as Senegal look to advance to Sunday’s final.

His powerful and pacy running, dribbling skills, and a sharp nose for goal have given Senegal a ‌serious addition ‌to their already much-vaunted attack.

“He’s a gem, and we need ‌to ⁠nurture ​him,” said ‌coach Pape Bouna Thiaw.

“We know what he can bring to this team, and we will do everything we can to ensure he thrives and is at his best.”

Mbaye netted in Senegal’s 3-1 win over Sudan in the round of 16, officially becoming, at 17 years, 11 months, and 11 days, the second youngest scorer in tournament history. The youngest is Chiva Nzigou of Gabon, who was allegedly 16 when he scored in the 2000 finals, but has since ⁠admitted being an age cheat, although the record is not expunged.

Mbaye, who turns 18 this month, was close to a ‌goal in Senegal’s second group game against the Democratic ‍Republic of Congo when he was brought ‍on a minute after the Congolese took the lead in Tangiers.

IMPACT EIGHT MINUTES AFTER ‍COMING OFF THE BENCH

Eight minutes later, a surging run down the right led to him firing off a shot that the goalkeeper could not hold, allowing Sadio Mane to equalize.

"He has this spark within him. He's young, but you don't notice that on the pitch. Every time he comes on, ​he brings something extra," said Senegal teammate Krepin Diatta.

Mbaye won his first cap in November, in a friendly against Brazil, having one month previously played ⁠for France’s under-19 team, with Thiaw visiting him at Paris St Germain to persuade him to switch allegiance.

"It was easy to convince the player. Ibrahim wanted to play for Senegal," said the coach.

They had been tracking him from last season when PSG used him as a starter for their opening match of the Ligue 1 campaign. He was an unused substitute in the Champions League final against Inter Milan in May and this season has started eight times for the French giants, including October’s Champions League win at Barcelona.

Thiaw says the experience of rubbing shoulders with Senegal’s top players will be beneficial for Mbaye.

“He is in a squad where he has the chance to work with players like Sadio Mane, who has won everything ‌and can guide him, like Kalidou Koulibaly and Gana Gueye, who are familiar with the highest level. Now, we need to protect him properly,” added the coach.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.