Lackluster Gauff Dumped Out by Svitolina in Australian Open Quarters 

Ukraine's Elina Svitolina wipes her tears as she speaks with media after defeating USA's Coco Gauff during their women's singles quarter-final match on day ten of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 27, 2026. (AFP)
Ukraine's Elina Svitolina wipes her tears as she speaks with media after defeating USA's Coco Gauff during their women's singles quarter-final match on day ten of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 27, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Lackluster Gauff Dumped Out by Svitolina in Australian Open Quarters 

Ukraine's Elina Svitolina wipes her tears as she speaks with media after defeating USA's Coco Gauff during their women's singles quarter-final match on day ten of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 27, 2026. (AFP)
Ukraine's Elina Svitolina wipes her tears as she speaks with media after defeating USA's Coco Gauff during their women's singles quarter-final match on day ten of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 27, 2026. (AFP)

Coco Gauff's bid for a third Grand Slam title went up in smoke at the Australian Open quarter-finals with a 6-1 6-2 defeat by ​Ukrainian Elina Svitolina on Tuesday, after the third seed endured a nightmare on serve.

The result meant 12th seed Svitolina marched into the semi-finals at Melbourne Park for the first time in her career, after three previous quarter-final finishes, keeping alive the 31-year-old's hopes of a maiden major title.

Svitolina will also return to the top 10 in the world when the updated rankings are released ‌next Monday, ‌a reward for her consistency after giving ‌birth ⁠to ​her ‌daughter with fellow tennis player Gael Monfils in late 2022.

"I'm very pleased with the tournament so far, it has always been my dream to come back here after maternity leave. It was my dream to come back into the top 10," Svitolina said.

"Unfortunately it didn't happen last year, I stopped after September and then when we were ⁠training and during off-season I told my coach 'I want to come back into top ‌10' so this was my goal for ‍this year."

Gauff's service woes came to ‍the fore early in the clash as she made five ‍double faults and was broken four times, allowing the aggressive Svitolina to take full advantage and grab the opening set in double-quick time.

Desperate to arrest her slide, the American sent a bunch of rackets to be ​re-strung for cooler conditions under the roof on Rod Laver Arena after organizers earlier invoked their extreme heat policy ⁠on a scorching afternoon.

Svitolina raced to a 3-0 lead in the second set before Gauff was able to get on board with a couple of holds, but there was no stopping the Ukrainian, who eased to victory and set up a clash with top seed Aryna Sabalenka.

"It means the world to me," Svitolina said.

"I'll try to push myself, try to give myself this motivation to continue. It's been a good trip."

It was a day to forget for the frustrated Gauff, as visuals later emerged of the American smashing a racket ‌somewhere inside the venue, in what she would have thought was a private moment.



Zverev in Cruise Control as French Open Starts Under Blazing Sun

Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Zverev in Cruise Control as French Open Starts Under Blazing Sun

Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)
Germany's Alexander Zverev celebrates after winning his men's singles match against France's Benjamin Bonzi on day 1 of the French Open tennis tournament on Court Philippe-Chatrier at the Roland-Garros Complex in Paris on May 24, 2026. (AFP)

French Open dark horse Alexander Zverev started his Roland Garros campaign with a meticulous 6-3 6-4 6-2 first-round demolition of France's Benjamin Bonzi in searing heat on Sunday.

The 2024 runner-up and three-time semi-finalist, who is chasing his maiden Grand Slam title, never allowed the world number 95 into the contest on court Philippe Chatrier as he set up a second-round meeting with Tomas Machac ‌of Czech ‌Republic.

"Very good start to the tournament, ‌it's ⁠always good to ⁠start with a win in straight sets especially against Benjamin who can be a tricky opponent," the German second seed said.

The two-week tournament started under blazing sun as fans in Panama hats streamed into Roland Garros, which felt more like ⁠the Riviera than claycourt grind as ‌alleys echoed with a ‌violin rendition of Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" and other soft-rock staples. ‌

With temperatures expected to exceed 30 degrees ‌Celsius (86 Fahrenheit), Russian Karen Khachanov, seeded 13, dispatched French hope Arthur Gea on Court Suzanne Lenglen before 11th-seeded Swiss Belinda Bencic downed Sinja Kraus of Austria.

The claycourt Grand ‌Slam suffered two major withdrawals as twice champion Carlos Alcaraz pulled out ⁠last month ⁠with a wrist injury and much-hyped local favorite Arthur Fils also withdrew injured on Saturday.

Italian Jannik Sinner, the world number one, is the heavy favorite in the men’s draw, while the women’s draw seems wide open.

Serbian Novak Djokovic, chasing a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title, opens his campaign against big-serving Frenchman Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard later on Sunday.

Russian eighth seed Mirra Andreeva will be the highest seeded woman in action when she takes on French wildcard Fiona Ferro.


De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
TT

De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)

Tottenham Hotspur manager ‌Roberto De Zerbi reiterated his commitment to the relegation-threatened Premier League club, saying he would stay on even if they were to drop into the second tier of English football.

Tottenham are two points above West Ham United in the final relegation spot, and a home draw with Everton on Sunday in ‌their final league ‌game of the season ‌would ⁠almost certainly be ⁠enough to ensure their survival, as the North London club have a superior goal difference.

However, if they lose to Everton and West Ham beat Leeds United, Tottenham could be relegated from the ⁠top flight for the first ‌time since 1977.

In ‌April, De Zerbi said he would remain ‌in charge of the club next ‌season regardless of results. When asked on Friday if he would stick to his word, the Italian told reporters: "Yeah, I confirm everything.

“It’s ‌still an honor to be a coach for Tottenham, even if ⁠on ⁠Sunday we play for the relegation fight, it’s not a problem. I consider football something more than the (league) table...

"We are fighting for something very important for everyone. It is football. But we have enough quality. To attack the pressure, you have to find the valor inside of yourself, to understand the situation and force yourself to give your best."


Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)

Defending champion Lando ‌Norris said McLaren could take encouragement from qualifying third for the Canadian Grand Prix after finishing closer than expected to Mercedes, despite not fully exploiting their upgrade package.

George Russell claimed pole position ahead of teammate Kimi Antonelli, completing a Mercedes front-row lockout, while Norris secured third after a tight qualifying session in which he briefly appeared in contention following the first Q3 runs.

"I was pretty happy, actually," Norris said. "My lap, the 12.7, I was reasonably happy with. I thought there was a little bit more ‌in it, which ‌I tried to get out on my ‌second ⁠lap, but didn't ⁠really seem to be able to extract."

Norris said that being so close to Mercedes was positive, adding that they had not expected to beat them in Montreal because they had not yet maximized the potential of their upgrade package.

"The fact that we're not using some of our upgrades, I think we're very surprised to ⁠be this close," he said. "There are a lot ‌of positives... there are still good ‌things to come once we figure them out."

Team principal Andrea Stella ‌offered a similar but more cautious assessment, saying there were "encouraging ‌indications" that McLaren were learning more about their upgrades.

"Between the Sprint sessions and qualifying, we did some work to optimize the car from a set-up point of view and a tire exploitation point of view, ‌so this allowed us to make the car quicker," he said.

"In my view, you have to ⁠look at ⁠things more holistically, over a period of time and in different conditions," he added.

Rain is a possibility on Sunday, which could work against teams. However, Stella said that the conditions could potentially work in McLaren's favor.

"I do think that this is an advantage because there's uncertainty in relation to the behavior of the power unit," he said.

"In wet, it deviates even more from what you anticipate and from what you can simulate. So power units certainly remain an element of variability that is concerning, but if you have tested it you might know a little bit more. There is a little advantage then," he added.