France and Brazil Weigh Up World Cup Prospects in Glamour Friendly

16 March 2026, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro: Brazil's national soccer team head coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks during a press conference to announce the squad for the international friendlies against France and Croatia in preparation for the upcoming World Cup. (dpa)
16 March 2026, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro: Brazil's national soccer team head coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks during a press conference to announce the squad for the international friendlies against France and Croatia in preparation for the upcoming World Cup. (dpa)
TT

France and Brazil Weigh Up World Cup Prospects in Glamour Friendly

16 March 2026, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro: Brazil's national soccer team head coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks during a press conference to announce the squad for the international friendlies against France and Croatia in preparation for the upcoming World Cup. (dpa)
16 March 2026, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro: Brazil's national soccer team head coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks during a press conference to announce the squad for the international friendlies against France and Croatia in preparation for the upcoming World Cup. (dpa)

Brazil and France will be among the leading contenders for World Cup glory later this year and the two heavyweight nations continue their preparations for the tournament by facing off in a glamour friendly in the United States this week.

With less than three months until the big kick-off, the countries ranked fifth and third respectively in the world rankings are in the US familiarizing themselves with what lies in store in June and July and they go head to head on Thursday at the Gillette Stadium near Boston.

The home of NFL side New England Patriots is the venue for the first meeting of these teams in exactly 11 years, since Brazil came from behind to win 3-1 in a friendly at the Stade de France in March 2015 with goals from Oscar, Neymar and Luiz Gustavo.

Brazil labored their way through South American World Cup qualifying with six defeats in 18 games as they finished fifth -- now they are hoping the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as coach will give them a genuine chance of winning a record-extending sixth World Cup, and first since 2002.

After this match they will head to Orlando, Florida, for a friendly on March 31 against Croatia, the team who ousted them from the 2022 World Cup in the quarter-finals.

Neymar is now 34 and has not played for his country since October 2023, but his absence from the squad has still been one of the main talking points coming into these matches.

"It is a physical issue, not technical. With the ball he is great, but he needs to improve physically," Ancelotti said after being asked about the absence of the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain superstar, now at Santos.

"Because in my eyes and those of my staff, he is not at 100 percent. So he needs to keep working to get back to 100 percent."

In the meantime Brazil's main man is Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior, while others likely to have key roles at the World Cup such as goalkeeper Alisson Becker, center-back Gabriel Magalhaes and midfielder Bruno Guimaraes are missing here.

Among those who do feature is Rayan, the uncapped 19-year-old who earned his place after impressing in the Premier League for Bournemouth since arriving from Vasco da Gama in January.

- Mbappe raring to go -

The main focus for France, as ever, is Kylian Mbappe, and the national team captain was eager to feature on this trip after overcoming a knee injury to return for Real Madrid just last week.

There had been mounting fears in France that the 27-year-old's fitness could become a real issue but he said missing the World Cup or the end of the club season was never a concern.

"It is behind me. I was following a protocol and I wanted to start playing again gradually. I hope to be able to play during this international break and to start being decisive again," he said on Monday, just before the squad headed to the US.

France, who have seen Arsenal defender William Saliba withdraw due to injury and called up Maxence Lacroix of Crystal Palace in his place, are staying in the same Boston hotel where they will be based during the World Cup.

The tournament will be coach Didier Deschamps' swansong after 14 years at the helm, with Zinedine Zidane fully expected to succeed him.

"I know his name," French Football Federation president Philippe Diallo told daily Le Figaro this week when asked about his search for the successor to Deschamps.

He refuses to explicitly say Zidane will take over, but it is hard to imagine Diallo means anyone else.

The last competitive meeting of the teams came at the 2006 World Cup, when France beat Brazil 1-0 in the quarter-finals, thanks to a Thierry Henry goal and a masterful performance by Zidane.

If both win their groups at the upcoming World Cup as expected, then they would not be able to meet each other until the final.

Getting that far is the aim for these sides, and Thursday's game will be a good gauge of where both stand as the competition approaches.



Thauvin Inspires Lens to Maiden French Cup Title with 3-1 Win Over Nice

Soccer Football - Coupe de France - Final - RC Lens v OGC Nice - Stade de France, Saint Denis, France - May 22, 2026 RC Lens' Adrien Thomasson lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Coupe de France REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq
Soccer Football - Coupe de France - Final - RC Lens v OGC Nice - Stade de France, Saint Denis, France - May 22, 2026 RC Lens' Adrien Thomasson lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Coupe de France REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq
TT

Thauvin Inspires Lens to Maiden French Cup Title with 3-1 Win Over Nice

Soccer Football - Coupe de France - Final - RC Lens v OGC Nice - Stade de France, Saint Denis, France - May 22, 2026 RC Lens' Adrien Thomasson lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Coupe de France REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq
Soccer Football - Coupe de France - Final - RC Lens v OGC Nice - Stade de France, Saint Denis, France - May 22, 2026 RC Lens' Adrien Thomasson lifts the trophy as he celebrates with teammates after winning the Coupe de France REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq

RC Lens claimed their first French Cup with a 3-1 victory over Nice after Florian Thauvin scored one goal and set up another to help land the trophy at the Stade de France on Friday.

Thauvin, a 2018 World Cup-winner omitted from France's squad for next month's finals, opened the scoring before his perfect corner was headed in by Odsonne Edouard for Lens' second goal.

Djibril Coulibaly pulled one back for Nice on the stroke of halftime, Reuters reported.

Lens' second-half substitute Abdallah Sima sealed the ⁠victory with 12 minutes ⁠remaining, sparking wild celebrations among the 50,000 Lens fans who travelled to Paris hoping to see their club claim a first trophy since the 1999 League Cup.

The triumph capped a remarkable season for Lens, whose only top-flight title came in 1998 and who ⁠finished runners-up to Paris St Germain in Ligue 1 this season.

Nice, meanwhile, face Ligue 2 side St Etienne on May 26 and 29 in a two-legged playoff to preserve their top-flight status.

After a shaky start from both sides, Lens, who had Robin Risser to thank for two spectacular saves, took the lead in the 25th minute when Thauvin collected Matthieu Udol’s cross in the area and found the net with a clinical ⁠left-footed effort.

The ⁠Northerners doubled their lead in the 42nd with Edouard beating Maxime Dupe with a header from Thauvin’s corner.

Coulibaly, 17, reduced the arrears on the stroke of halftime, heading home a Jonathan Clauss corner.

Nice came close to levelling on the hour, but Antoine Mendy's header crashed onto the bar.

But Lens wrapped it up in the 78th minute as Sima, who had replaced Edouard 12 minutes earlier, outmuscled two Nice defenders to beat Dupe with a low shot for his fifth goal in six appearances in the competition.


Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
TT

Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero

Mexico beat Ghana 2-0 in Puebla on Friday in a World Cup warm-up that offered a glimpse of the excitement building less than three weeks before the country opens the tournament.

While Puebla is not among Mexico's World Cup host cities, fans in green shirts created a lively atmosphere throughout the night. Repeated Mexican waves rolled around the stadium ⁠despite visible empty ⁠sections closed under FIFA sanctions linked to discriminatory chants at previous national team matches.

Brian Gutierrez set the tone immediately, curling home from the edge of the box after two minutes at Cuauhtemoc ⁠Stadium.

Teenage Liga MX sensation Gil Mora struck the post in the first half, and Alexis Vega had a header ruled out for offside before the break.

Ghana, with recently appointed coach Carlos Queiroz absent and assistants leading from the bench, threatened an equaliser early in the second half after forcing a pair of saves from the ⁠Mexican ⁠goalkeeper and hitting the crossbar.

But substitute Guillermo Martinez ended the visitors' hopes in the 54th minute, finishing off a counterattack to double Mexico's lead.

Coach Javier Aguirre used the friendly to continue evaluating players ahead of naming Mexico's final World Cup squad on June 1, with Europe-based players Edson Alvarez, Jorge Sanchez and Luis Chávez making second-half appearances after recently joining training camp.


Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
TT

Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)

Pep Guardiola is more than a football manager, using his high-profile platform to highlight causes close to his heart.

Legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly may have believed football was "much, much more important" than life or death but for Guardiola several things outside the "beautiful game" matter almost as much.

The 55-year-old Spaniard will step away from the Manchester City dugout on Sunday after winning 20 trophies in 10 years.

From Palestinian children to Catalan independence and homelessness in the United Kingdom, Guardiola has strayed outside the borders of his job to bang the drum for a diverse range of causes during that time.

He has made no bones about using his position as a podium to "speak up to be a better society".

Guardiola's most recent foray into sensitive political territory has been his passionate embrace of Palestinian children in Gaza during the two-year war with Israel and their suffering in the aftermath.

The war, sparked by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, has killed at least 72,568 people in Gaza. Victims included children from toddlers to late teens.

Hundreds of thousands of displaced people still live in tents, and conditions remain dire despite a ceasefire that came into effect in October.

The devastation is acutely felt by the youngest in society, a topic Guardiola felt sufficiently important to miss a pre-match press conference and attend a charity event, Act x Palestine, in Barcelona in January this year.

With a Palestinian keffiyeh draped round his neck, he went on the offensive.

"I think what we think when I see a child in these past two years with these images on social media, on television, recording himself, pleading 'where is my mother?' among the rubble, and he still doesn't know it," he said.

"And I always think: what must they be thinking? And I think we have left them alone, abandoned."

- 'I will stand up' -

While widely lauded, his forays into the delicate issue also met with opprobrium, not least from the representatives of Manchester's Jewish community.

Remarks he made last summer prompted them to write a letter to the Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak warning his comments put the lives of Jews living in Manchester "in danger".

Guardiola, though, was unbowed -- just as he was when he was fined £20,000 ($27,000) by the Football Association in 2018 for wearing a yellow ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in his native Catalonia.

It is not just the suffering of Palestinian children that has exercised his mind.

He spoke out at a press conference in February to deplore not only the violence in the Middle East but also Ukraine, Sudan and the deaths of two people in the United States at the hands of ICE agents.

"When you have an idea and you need to defend (it) and you have to kill thousands, thousands of people -- I'm sorry, I will stand up," he said.

"Always I will be there. Always."

However, with anti-Semitism on the rise, the Jewish Representative Council of Greater Manchester and Region was angered that he made no reference to a terror attack on a synagogue in the city last October which resulted in two deaths.

Guardiola has also paid attention to those who suffer closer to home.

For several years his Guardiola Sala Foundation has supported the Salvation Army's Partnership Trophy, a five-a-side football tournament in Manchester which raised awareness of homelessness in the United Kingdom.

"It's so encouraging to witness how football can bring people together and help them overcome really tough personal challenges," he said.