Defending Champion Alcaraz to Miss French Open with Wrist Injury

Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
TT

Defending Champion Alcaraz to Miss French Open with Wrist Injury

Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)
Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz gives a press conference to announce his withdrawal from the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-Trofe Conde de Godo, in Barcelona, Spain, 15 April 2026. (EPA)

Two-time reigning French Open champion Carlos Alcaraz said on Friday he will not play at this year's tournament as he recovers from a wrist injury.

"We have decided that the most prudent thing to do is to be cautious and not participate in Rome or Roland Garros," Alcaraz said on social media.

"It's a complicated moment for me, but I'm sure we'll come out stronger from this," the Spaniard added, saying that he and his team would monitor his recovery before deciding when and where he would return.

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open last week, where he beat Otto Virtanen but subsequently pulled out of the tournament.

The 22-year-old announced his withdrawal from the Madrid Masters on April 17, increasing concerns over whether he would be able to appear at the French Open.

Alcaraz became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. He holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.

Ranked second in the world, Alcaraz lost top spot following his defeat by Jannik Sinner in the Monte Carlo Masters final on April 12.

The seven-time Grand Slam winner, an expert on clay, triumphed at Roland Garros in 2024 and 2025. He saved three championship points against Sinner in last year's final.



Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
TT

Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)

Pep Guardiola is more than a football manager, using his high-profile platform to highlight causes close to his heart.

Legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly may have believed football was "much, much more important" than life or death but for Guardiola several things outside the "beautiful game" matter almost as much.

The 55-year-old Spaniard will step away from the Manchester City dugout on Sunday after winning 20 trophies in 10 years.

From Palestinian children to Catalan independence and homelessness in the United Kingdom, Guardiola has strayed outside the borders of his job to bang the drum for a diverse range of causes during that time.

He has made no bones about using his position as a podium to "speak up to be a better society".

Guardiola's most recent foray into sensitive political territory has been his passionate embrace of Palestinian children in Gaza during the two-year war with Israel and their suffering in the aftermath.

The war, sparked by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, has killed at least 72,568 people in Gaza. Victims included children from toddlers to late teens.

Hundreds of thousands of displaced people still live in tents, and conditions remain dire despite a ceasefire that came into effect in October.

The devastation is acutely felt by the youngest in society, a topic Guardiola felt sufficiently important to miss a pre-match press conference and attend a charity event, Act x Palestine, in Barcelona in January this year.

With a Palestinian keffiyeh draped round his neck, he went on the offensive.

"I think what we think when I see a child in these past two years with these images on social media, on television, recording himself, pleading 'where is my mother?' among the rubble, and he still doesn't know it," he said.

"And I always think: what must they be thinking? And I think we have left them alone, abandoned."

- 'I will stand up' -

While widely lauded, his forays into the delicate issue also met with opprobrium, not least from the representatives of Manchester's Jewish community.

Remarks he made last summer prompted them to write a letter to the Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak warning his comments put the lives of Jews living in Manchester "in danger".

Guardiola, though, was unbowed -- just as he was when he was fined £20,000 ($27,000) by the Football Association in 2018 for wearing a yellow ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in his native Catalonia.

It is not just the suffering of Palestinian children that has exercised his mind.

He spoke out at a press conference in February to deplore not only the violence in the Middle East but also Ukraine, Sudan and the deaths of two people in the United States at the hands of ICE agents.

"When you have an idea and you need to defend (it) and you have to kill thousands, thousands of people -- I'm sorry, I will stand up," he said.

"Always I will be there. Always."

However, with anti-Semitism on the rise, the Jewish Representative Council of Greater Manchester and Region was angered that he made no reference to a terror attack on a synagogue in the city last October which resulted in two deaths.

Guardiola has also paid attention to those who suffer closer to home.

For several years his Guardiola Sala Foundation has supported the Salvation Army's Partnership Trophy, a five-a-side football tournament in Manchester which raised awareness of homelessness in the United Kingdom.

"It's so encouraging to witness how football can bring people together and help them overcome really tough personal challenges," he said.


Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Friday that he and Mohamed Salah both care about the club's success after the Egyptian questioned their style of play in a social media post.

Slot, however, declined to confirm whether the forward, who is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season, would feature in the club's final game of the campaign at Anfield against Brentford on Sunday.

In a post on X, Salah urged the club to rediscover their attacking identity after a painful 4-2 defeat by Aston Villa left Champions League qualification in the balance

"Mo and I have the same interests, we want the best for this club, we want it to be as successful as possible. We were both part of giving our fans their first title for five years, but we are also aware we haven't brought that same level this season," Slot told reporters on Friday.

"What we and I want is for the club to be as successful as last season. And that is where my main focus is on now because the game on Sunday could give us a really good base for next season.

"I never say anything about team selection, so it would be a surprise to you if I did that right now."

Salah, third on Liverpool's all-time top-scorers list, had highlighted the club's inconsistent campaign and called for a return to the aggressive style that brought previous success under former manager Juergen Klopp.

However, the Dutchman said the forward's criticism had not affected the team's training as they prepare to host Brentford.

With one more Champions League spot up for grabs, fifth-placed Liverpool, on 59 points, will aim to maintain their three-point lead and six-goal-difference advantage over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

"I don't think it is important what I feel, what is important is we qualify for the Champions League on Sunday," Slot added.

"So I prepare Mo and the whole of the team in the best possible way, that is what matters. I was very disappointed after our loss against Villa, as a win would've given us Champions League qualification, and now there is one game to go and it is vital for us as a club."

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker resumed training on Friday and is expected to be fit for the final game, Slot said, after being sidelined since mid-March with a hamstring injury.


Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
TT

Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo

Pep Guardiola confirmed Friday what Manchester City fans had been fearing. The club’s most successful manager is leaving, bringing to a close a trophy-laden, 10-year spell in which he established City as one of major forces in Europe and changed the face of English football. 

Guardiola, who had a further year left on his City contract, will take charge of his final game against Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday. 

“Don’t ask me the reasons I’m leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it’s my time,” he said 

City said Guardiola would take up a role as global ambassador. 

Enzo Maresca — the former Chelsea manager who was previously assistant to Guardiola at City — is the favorite to take on the daunting task of filling the Catalan's shoes after a decade of unprecedented dominance. 

Since joining City in the summer of 2016, Guardiola led the Abu Dhabi-backed team to six Premier League titles and the Champions League for the first time in 2023. 

He won 17 major trophies in all, including a domestic double this season of the English League Cup and the FA Cup. He has won 35 major titles across his coaching career including his time at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. 

City was by far his longest job in management, having never previously stayed more than four years in a role. 

“I will not train for a while,” Guardiola said. “I feel I would not have the energy that is required to daily … with the expectations to fight for the titles.” 

Guardiola set new benchmarks, with City becoming the first team to win four-straight English league titles and the first to amass 100 points in a single season in 2018. The following year City became the first team to win the domestic treble of the league, FA Cup and League Cup in the same season. 

But his biggest achievement was leading City to the ultimate treble in 2023, winning the league, Champions League and FA Cup — matching Manchester United’s feat from more than 20 years earlier in 1999. 

He also brought to England a style of soccer — a possession-based approach that started with playing the ball out from the goalkeeper or defense — that ended up being mimicked across the country, from kids’ teams at grassroots level to rival teams in the Premier League. 

“The unique approach that he brings to his coaching has allowed him to constantly challenge the accepted truths of our game. It is the reason that in the last 10 years he has not only made Manchester City better — he has also made football better,” City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said. He added that it was the “right answer” for Guardiola to walk away now. 

While he goes out on another trophy-winning campaign, this was the first time in his career that he has gone two seasons without being crowned league champion. 

City was also eliminated from the Champions League before the quarterfinal stage in each of the last two years. 

City said Guardiola's new role would see him give technical advice to clubs in its ownership group. 

“Pep’s legacy is extraordinary and its true impact will be better assessed by Manchester City historians of the future,” said chief executive Ferran Sorriano. “If there is something more difficult than winning, it is winning again. It requires incredible persistence, resilience and the humility to start again every year, with the same energy, again and again. This is what Pep did.” 

“We worked. We suffered. We fought. And we did things our own way. Our way,” said Guardiola in his farewell message to fans.