'We're Here Solely to Play Football,' Insists North Korean Coach

North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
TT

'We're Here Solely to Play Football,' Insists North Korean Coach

North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP
North Korea's Naegohyang Women's FC head coach Ri Yu Il (L) and captain Kim Kyong Yong (R) attend a press conference at Suwon Sports Complex ahead of the Women's Asian Champions League semi-final. JUNG YEON-JE / POOL/AFP

The coach of the first North Korean sports team to visit the South in eight years batted away questions Tuesday about the prospect of South Koreans cheering his side, saying: "We are here solely to play football."

Naegohyang Women's FC will face South Korea's Suwon FC Women in the semi-finals of the Asian Women's Champions League on Wednesday.

Interest in the rare North-South clash has been intense and 7,087 general admission tickets sold out within hours of going on sale last week, said AFP.

Naegohyang's arrival at South Korea's Incheon International Airport on Sunday saw players and officials surrounded by throngs of reporters and supporters holding welcome signs.

Around 3,000 spectators from civic groups backed by Seoul's unification ministry are expected to cheer both teams, but there will be no official away supporters because North Koreans are generally not allowed into the South.

Naegohyang head coach Ri Yu Il brushed off questions about what he thought about the prospect of South Koreans cheering his side during Tuesday's pre-match press conference.

"I'm not sure whether similar questions will continue to come up," he said.

"But we are here solely to play football.

"Simply put, we will focus only on each match," he added.

"Therefore, the issue of the supporters is not something I, as a coach, or our players need to concern ourselves with.

"We will concentrate exclusively on the game."

- No emotion -

The Seoul government has provided US$200,000 to support South Korean civic groups planning to cheer both teams at the match.

According to local media, civic groups have been discussing cheering guidelines with the authorities, because waving North Korean national flags in public is prohibited under the national security law.

In past such events held in the South, civic groups instead waved flags depicting the Korean Peninsula.

Both Ri and the team captain, Kim Kyong Yong, sat through the press conference without showing any emotion, and their answers were translated by a North Korean interpreter.

Kim said: "We will give our all to repay the trust and expectations of our people and our parents and families."

The winner of the semi-final will play either Australia's Melbourne City or Japan's Tokyo Verdy Beleza, also in Suwon, in Saturday's final.

The two teams clashed in the group stage earlier in the competition, with Naegohyang winning 3-0, but the coach said that would count for little on Wednesday.

"Just because they played in the group stage, it would be absolutely wrong to say that one team is stronger or weaker than another based solely on those results," Ri said.

"For us, our focus is simply on doing our best to achieve a good result in tomorrow's match."

Women's football is one of North Korea's strongest international sports, with their national sides regularly competing at the highest levels in Asia and globally.

North Korea rank 11th in the FIFA Women's World Ranking, far above their men's team, which is ranked 118th.

The visit comes with Pyongyang being unresponsive to Seoul's repeated unconditional dialogue proposals under President Lee Jae Myung, who has taken a much softer stance than his conservative predecessor.

The two Koreas are technically at war as the 1950-53 Korean conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.



Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
TT

Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite during an ATP event in Mallorca, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old acknowledged the finding on his ⁠Instagram account, telling ⁠his followers: "I wanted you to hear this from me first."

"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca ⁠after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it," he wrote.

Kyrgios provided a sample at the ATP 250 tournament in Spain on June 22 and ⁠a ⁠World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory subsequently detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, the ITIA statement read.

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and a substance of abuse under WADA rules and is prohibited in competition.


Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Former Manchester United and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba will be released by Monaco after a series of injuries, the French club said on Wednesday.

Pogba, 33, won the World Cup with France in 2018 but since serving a ban for doping has struggled to return to the elite level.

According to AFP, Monaco said in a statement that the objectives they had set for Pogba were "only partially achieved" and the Ligue 1 club were therefore ending his contract that would have run until June 2027.

Pogba is currently sidelined with a thigh injury, just after returning from a knee problem.

Monaco paid tribute to the player's "remarkable mindset, determination and unwavering high standards" and said even when injured he had had a positive influence on the Monaco squad by "sharing his experience and know-how" with the other players.


Five Premier League Stars to Watch This Season

 15 August 2026, United Kingdom, London: Chelsea's Morgan Rogers celebrates scoring his side's first goal during the pre-season friendly soccer match between Chelsea and Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge. (dpa)
15 August 2026, United Kingdom, London: Chelsea's Morgan Rogers celebrates scoring his side's first goal during the pre-season friendly soccer match between Chelsea and Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge. (dpa)
TT

Five Premier League Stars to Watch This Season

 15 August 2026, United Kingdom, London: Chelsea's Morgan Rogers celebrates scoring his side's first goal during the pre-season friendly soccer match between Chelsea and Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge. (dpa)
15 August 2026, United Kingdom, London: Chelsea's Morgan Rogers celebrates scoring his side's first goal during the pre-season friendly soccer match between Chelsea and Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge. (dpa)

The new Premier League season kicks off on Friday, setting the stage for a galaxy of stars to shine in the 2026-27 campaign.

AFP Sport looks at five players to watch:

Morgan Rogers (Chelsea)

Signed for a British record £117 million ($158 million) from Aston Villa, the England midfielder will be expected to lead the Xabi Alonso revolution at Stamford Bridge.

Rogers is Chelsea's marquee close-season recruit and must live up to his eye-watering price tag if Alonso is to revitalize the Blues after their dismal 10th-place finish in the Premier League last season.

The 24-year-old arrives fresh from helping Villa end their 30-year trophy drought by winning the Europa League.

Rogers' friendship with Chelsea forward Cole Palmer from their time together in Manchester City's youth academy will help his acclimation, but Alonso must find a way to harness the talents of two players that operate in similar areas of the pitch.

Elliot Anderson (Manchester City)

The 23-year-old held the record as the most expensive British player for just a matter of days before being eclipsed by Morgan Rogers' move to Chelsea.

Signed from Nottingham Forest for £116 million, Anderson has the formidable task of replacing the prodigious output of Rodri and Bernardo Silva.

Spain World Cup winner Rodri has joined Barcelona, while Silva moved to Real Madrid, leaving a huge void in City's midfield that Anderson must fill for new boss Enzo Maresca to enjoy a successful debut season.

Anderson's astute reading of the game, smooth passing and composed demeanor earned the England international his big-money move and a massive pay rise.

Now he has to justify that huge expense as City try to dethrone champions Arsenal after two years without a Premier League title.

Bruno Guimaraes (Arsenal)

The Brazil midfielder was Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta's consolation prize after missing out on Morgan Rogers.

The Gunners declined to match Chelsea's record-breaking offer for Rogers and pivoted to Guimaraes, who makes the champions' already formidable squad even stronger.

Arsenal paid £75 million to sign the Newcastle captain and he will slot in alongside Declan Rice and Martin Odegaard in midfield.

"Since the first day he came in, it has been such a natural thing," Arsenal captain Odegaard said of Guimaraes' transition.

"Although we had some big fights with him in the past, he has just come in as a real natural part of the team.

"He can win the ball, he's a fighter. But he also has so much quality and is calm on the ball."

Pre-Season Friendly - Tottenham Hotspur v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, Britain - August 15, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur's Sandro Tonali celebrates after the match. (Reuters)

Sandro Tonali (Tottenham)

The Italy midfielder took just 10 minutes to agree to become Tottenham's record signing. Now he must show that rapid decision was the right move for himself and his new club.

With his relentless work ethic and quality in possession, the 26-year-old was a key figure in Newcastle's renaissance before their dip last season.

Looking to take his career to new heights, Tonali was quickly convinced to join Tottenham manager Roberto De Zerbi's overhaul of a club that are looking upwards after narrowly avoiding relegation in May.

"When you are happy after a 10-minute chat, everything is perfect," said Tonali, who acknowledged the size of his fee brings "a lot of pressure".

Jeremy Jacquet (Liverpool)

Jacquet has been signed to quell the mounting concern about a creaky defense that lacked the authority of Liverpool's title-winning unit in 2025.

Now 35, Virgil van Dijk no longer looks impregnable.

The Liverpool captain's struggles were exacerbated by the woes of his defensive colleagues last term.

Ibrahima Konate has joined Real Madrid, while Andrew Robertson moved to Tottenham.

Jacquet, 21, had to wait for his Anfield move after a £60 million switch from Rennes was agreed in the winter transfer window.

And Van Dijk acknowledged their nascent partnership at the heart of Liverpool's defense is a work in progress.

"It's pretty clear that you need to form a connection together and that takes a bit of time," he said.

"That's absolutely normal, but hopefully we can get that going as quickly as possible."