Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
TT

Alcaraz Withdraws from Wimbledon with Wrist Injury

Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)
Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 14, 2024 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz poses for a picture with the trophy after winning his men's singles final against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. (Reuters)

Carlos Alcaraz's hopes of regaining his Wimbledon title have been dashed with the two-time champion announcing Tuesday he is withdrawing as he recovers from a wrist injury.

"My recovery is going well and I'm feeling much better, but unfortunately I'm still not ready to play, I am obliged to withdraw from both Queen's and Wimbledon," said Spaniard Alcaraz, who lost to world number one Jannik Sinner in last year's final.

"These are two really special tournaments for me and I'll miss them a lot. We'll keep working to come back as soon as possible."

Alcaraz sustained the injury during the first round of the Barcelona Open and subsequently pulled out of tournaments in Madrid and Rome and then Roland Garros, where he is the reigning two-time champion.

The world number two became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam in January with his triumph at the Australian Open. The 23-year-old holds a 22-3 record this season and also won a title in Doha.

Wimbledon will be only the third Grand Slam that Alcaraz has missed since making his main draw debut at the 2021 Australian Open.

Alcaraz's injury has stopped him continuing his exciting rivalry with Italian Sinner, 24, who is firm favorite to triumph in Paris and London.



Bayern's Musiala Diagnosed with Neurological Disorder after 2 On-field Collapses

Munich's Jamal Musiala, center, leaves the pitch due to an injury during a pre-season soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/dpa via AP)
Munich's Jamal Musiala, center, leaves the pitch due to an injury during a pre-season soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/dpa via AP)
TT

Bayern's Musiala Diagnosed with Neurological Disorder after 2 On-field Collapses

Munich's Jamal Musiala, center, leaves the pitch due to an injury during a pre-season soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/dpa via AP)
Munich's Jamal Musiala, center, leaves the pitch due to an injury during a pre-season soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/dpa via AP)

Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala said on Tuesday he has been diagnosed with a neurological disorder after collapsing during a match for the second time in four days.

The 23-year-old went down six minutes after coming off the bench in Bayern's 4-2 friendly win at Heidenheim and required medical attention before being assisted from the pitch.

The ⁠Germany international also ⁠collapsed during Bayern's 3-1 friendly victory over RB Leipzig on Saturday.

"I've been diagnosed with temporary, brief, but easily treatable absences caused by a neurological dysfunction," Musiala posted on ⁠Instagram.

"These can lead to episodes like the ones that occurred recently - such as against Leipzig or just now in Heidenheim.

"I know these can seem scary at first glance - but for me, they're currently part of my everyday life. I'm receiving the best medical care for this and am ⁠very ⁠optimistic,” Reuters quoted him as saying

Musiala added that doctors had ruled out any further health risks.

The midfielder, who has made 231 appearances for Bayern, was sidelined for six months last season after fracturing an ankle at the Club Cup, but he recovered to return later in the campaign and played for Germany at the 2026 World Cup.


Al-Nassr Defeats Al-Diriyah to Reach Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cup Round of 16

Félix celebrates scoring Al-Nassr's fourth goal. (Al-Nassr on X)
Félix celebrates scoring Al-Nassr's fourth goal. (Al-Nassr on X)
TT

Al-Nassr Defeats Al-Diriyah to Reach Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cup Round of 16

Félix celebrates scoring Al-Nassr's fourth goal. (Al-Nassr on X)
Félix celebrates scoring Al-Nassr's fourth goal. (Al-Nassr on X)

Saudi Arabia’s Al-Nassr secured a place in the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cup Round of 16 after a convincing 4-1 victory over Al Diriyah in their Round of 32 match at Alawwal Park in Riyadh on Tuesday.

Al-Diriyah took an early lead in the second minute through Óscar Rodríguez. However, Al-Nassr quickly responded with three goals from Mohamed Simakan in the 11th minute, João Félix in the 35th, and Abdullah Al-Hamdan in the 37th, ending the first half with a 3-1 lead.

In the 68th minute of the second half, Félix scored his second goal of the match and Al-Nassr's fourth.

Al-Nassr's coach Ange Postecoglou underscored his team's positive start, despite playing the match just two days after their previous encounter.

Postecoglou said his team conceded an early goal, but the players' reaction and the mentality helped them make a comeback and secure victory.

On Cristiano Ronaldo, Postecoglou said that Al-Nassr's captain is working very hard, noting his recent participation with the Portuguese national team in the World Cup.

He said he was training hard, expecting him to gradually feature prominently with Al-Nassr.


Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
TT

Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

In an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans, Real Madrid officially presented coach José Mourinho on Tuesday.

The event took place at the club's headquarters in Madrid, with president Florentino Pérez welcoming the coach. The only images of the presentation were provided by Real Madrid TV and the club's website and social media accounts.

“I'm one of you,” Mourinho said in a message to fans in a video released by the club. “And not just today, but since I arrived in 2010 and after I left in 2013, always with you. ... To return to Real Madrid is to return home.”

Madrid said the coach was signed for three seasons until June 30, 2029.

After the signing, Madrid said Mourinho received a replica of the stadium, a watch and a jersey with his name.

Madrid has been revamped after a second consecutive season without a major title. In addition to Mourinho, who replaced Álvaro Arbeloa, the club also brought in players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham will lead the squad again as it tries to keep Barcelona from winning a third straight La Liga title. Mourinho was hired in June and officially took over in July at the start of the preseason.

He is back for a second stint with Madrid some 13 years after he left the club. He was in charge from 2010-13, winning a Spanish league and a Copa del Rey. He was more remembered for his confrontational personality that ended up splitting his own squad and alienating all but the most hardcore fans, as well as a large part of the local media.