French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”



Messi Scores Emotional 1st Goal Since Father's Death

CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Messi Scores Emotional 1st Goal Since Father's Death

CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP

Lionel Messi scored his first goal since the death of his father earlier this month in Inter Miami's 2-2 draw with Philadelphia Union on Wednesday.

Messi's father and longtime representative Jorge died aged 68 on August 8 in Rosario, Argentina.

In the 26th minute at Subaru Park, ⁠Messi shook off ⁠his marker and sent a left-footed shot into the net to give Miami a 2-1 first-half lead before being embraced by his teammates.

The 39-year-old also ⁠assisted on his team's first goal on a hot and humid night in Pennsylvania, Reuters reported.

Messi paid an emotional tribute to his father last week, saying he did not know how to continue without him.

The draw ended a three-game losing streak for defending MLS Cup ⁠champions ⁠Miami. The goal was Messi's 13th of the season, putting him one behind Dallas striker Petar Musa in the race for the MLS Golden Boot, which he won last season.

Messi also captained Argentina to this year's World Cup final, where they lost to Spain.


Japan's King Kazu, 59, Scores Twice from Spot to Make Cup History

(FILES) Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura speaks during a press conference to announce his joining of Fukushima United FC in the J-League third division, in Tokyo on January 9, 2026. (Photo by Kazuhiro NOGI / AFP)
(FILES) Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura speaks during a press conference to announce his joining of Fukushima United FC in the J-League third division, in Tokyo on January 9, 2026. (Photo by Kazuhiro NOGI / AFP)
TT

Japan's King Kazu, 59, Scores Twice from Spot to Make Cup History

(FILES) Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura speaks during a press conference to announce his joining of Fukushima United FC in the J-League third division, in Tokyo on January 9, 2026. (Photo by Kazuhiro NOGI / AFP)
(FILES) Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura speaks during a press conference to announce his joining of Fukushima United FC in the J-League third division, in Tokyo on January 9, 2026. (Photo by Kazuhiro NOGI / AFP)

Kazuyoshi Miura scored twice from the penalty spot as the 59-year-old striker became the oldest goalscorer in the history of Japan's longest-running cup competition.

Miura, known as "King Kazu" and now in his 42nd season as a professional, played a key role as third division Fukushima United thrashed non-league Oyama Soccer Club 7-0 in the Emperor's Cup, which is now in its 106th year.

He scored in the qualifying rounds of the competition in late July.

It is the first time Miura has scored more than one goal in a match since he was on target for Australian side Sydney FC in November 2005.

Miura, Japan's first football superstar when the professional J. League launched in the early 1990s, said he practices penalties almost every day after training.

"You never know when it might be your turn," he told reporters after his latest feat on Wednesday.

"That's why I practice them all the time. I'm glad it paid off."

The goals smashed the record for the Emperor's Cup's oldest goalscorer, held by former Japan international Shinji Ono, who was 41 at the time.

Miura started the game as captain and played until he was substituted in the 58th minute.
He stepped up to bury his first spot kick in the 12th minute, then repeated the trick in the 55th after he was brought down in the box.

"There was a unique, quiet atmosphere with none of the opposition fans booing," AFP quoted him as saying.

"I could feel everyone's eyes on me. I'm glad I could put them away in those circumstances."
Miura made his professional debut in 1986 for Brazilian team Santos and has also played in Italy, Croatia, Australia and Portugal.

He made his Japan debut in 1990 but was famously left out of the squad for their first World Cup finals appearance in 1998, despite scoring 55 goals in 89 games for the national side.
He joined Fukushima in January and said he wanted to repay his new team's faith in him with goals and assists.


Paul Ousts Top Seed Zverev to Reach Cincinnati Quarter-finals

MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 19: Tommy Paul of the United States hugs Alexander Zverev of Germany after a match on day nine of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 19, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP
MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 19: Tommy Paul of the United States hugs Alexander Zverev of Germany after a match on day nine of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 19, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Paul Ousts Top Seed Zverev to Reach Cincinnati Quarter-finals

MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 19: Tommy Paul of the United States hugs Alexander Zverev of Germany after a match on day nine of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 19, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP
MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 19: Tommy Paul of the United States hugs Alexander Zverev of Germany after a match on day nine of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 19, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP

Tommy Paul saved a match point to defeat top seed Alexander Zverev 4-6 7-6(6) 6-4 and reach the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Open on Wednesday after a nearly 90-minute rain delay.

German world number three Zverev took the first set and trailed 3-4 in the second before ⁠the fourth-round match ⁠was suspended due to rain.

Paul emerged from the lengthy delay looking the sharper player, saving a match point before levelling the contest as Zverev ⁠struggled to find his rhythm.

The German took a 4-2 lead in the third set but Paul dug his heels in to take control of the match, rallying to win four straight games in a stunning comeback to advance to the quarter-finals in Cincinnati for the ⁠first ⁠time.

Zverev's 14 aces were accompanied by nine double faults, with his service game looking shaky at times after he was called for a foot fault in the third set, Reuters reported.

Paul will next play Flavio Cobolli after the Italian earlier defeated Spain's Rafael Jodar 4-6 7-6(3) 6-3.