George Russell Aims to Recapture F1 Momentum in Canada and Stop Antonelli's Streak

Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
TT

George Russell Aims to Recapture F1 Momentum in Canada and Stop Antonelli's Streak

Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)
Mercedes' British driver George Russell gives an interview before the F1 races at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on May 21, 2026. (Photo by ANDREJ IVANOV / AFP)

An upgraded car and a “painful” reminder not to lose sight of the Formula 1 fundamentals could be George Russell's path back to the front of the field at the Canadian Grand Prix.

Russell's fourth place at the last race in Miami gave his Mercedes teammate Kimi Antonelli a yawning 20-point lead in the standings after four races. The 19-year-old Italian has won three in a row.

Russell said one reason he lost ground was focusing too much on the standout feature of the 2026 cars, their massive electrical power output, and neglecting the basics.

“Dealing with the tires, dealing with the setup, just fundamentals of racing, has kind of been put on the back-burner because we’re all so focused on energy management,” The Associated Press quoted him as saying.

“We missed some key things because we were focused elsewhere and that was a good little reminder. As painful as it was, it was a very much-needed weekend because I think it’s going to prove very beneficial.”

Antonelli's lead grew in Miami because McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull brought upgrades that helped them fight for the podium places. Now it's Mercedes' turn to bring upgraded parts for the car that's won all four Grand Prix races in 2026 so far.

Antonelli's place in history Canada offers the chance of a big points swing. It's hosting a sprint race Saturday for the first time, putting another maximum eight points on offer.

The threat of rain in Montreal on Sunday would shake things up, too. After storms predicted for Miami never materialized, the 2026 cars have yet to race in wet weather.

It's early to talk of the title at just the fifth round of the season but a fourth win in a row would put the 19-year-old Antonelli into an exclusive club. Every driver who's won four or more consecutive Grands Prix has been an F1 champion at some point in their career.

History does offer a little encouragement to Russell, though. The one time in F1 history that a driver won four consecutive races in a season but not the title came in 2016 when Lewis Hamilton was beaten by his then-Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg.

More recently, Oscar Piastri won three in a row for McLaren last year and still lost to teammate Lando Norris.

It's a busy time to be an F1 engine manufacturer.

The extra engine power agreed for 2027, with electrical power turned down and less need to recharge batteries, got a cautious welcome Thursday from Max Verstappen, the biggest critic of the 2026 cars, who said it was “almost back to normal.”

Meanwhile, the FIA is pushing to return to old-school V8s from 2030, and there's more immediate change coming after this weekend.

Under a new-for-2026 rule, after the Canadian Grand Prix, the FIA will confirm some manufacturers will get extra development time and budget to improve their engines, but only if they're a certain margin behind the best-performing engine, widely agreed to be Mercedes.

The scheme, known as ADUO, is meant to nudge F1 gently toward engine parity over the next few years and avoid what FIA rules guru Nikolas Tombazis last year dubbed “eternal misery” for teams who picked slower engines.



Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
TT

Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo

Pep Guardiola announced on Friday that he will leave Manchester City at the end of the season after a trophy-laden decade that transformed English football, AFP reported.

Guardiola guided City to 20 trophies, including six Premier League titles and the club's only Champions League, over the past 10 seasons.

The home match against Aston Villa on Sunday will be his final match in charge although he is set to continue working for the City Football Group as a global ambassador.

"What a time we have had together!" Guardiola said in a club statement.

"Don't ask me the reasons I'm leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it's my time.

"Nothing is eternal, if it was, I would be here. Eternal will be the feeling, the people, the memories, the love I have for my Manchester City."

News of the Spaniard's impending departure was first reported on Monday.

At that point, the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss was tight-lipped on his future as City missed out on the Premier League title to Arsenal 24 hours later.

Former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca, who previously worked on Guardiola's staff at City, has been widely reported as the man set to take over at the Etihad.


Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Manchester United have appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager on a contract until 2028, the Premier League club said on Friday, rewarding the former midfielder for the club's turnaround in fortunes in less than half a season.

The 44-year-old Englishman has guided United to 11 victories in 16 matches, including wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, to climb to third in the Premier League and seal a berth in next season's Champions League.

"From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride," Reuters quoted Carrick as saying in ⁠a statement.

"Throughout the ⁠past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.

"Now it's time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose."

Initially appointed on an interim basis to replace Ruben Amorim, the former United midfielder has exceeded expectations and transformed the mood around Old Trafford, with the club's players backing ⁠him for the job.

Carrick, who served as caretaker manager in 2021 following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal, made 464 appearances for United across all competitions, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

His managerial experience includes a mixed stint at second-tier club Middlesbrough, where he initially did well after joining in October 2022 with the Championship side languishing in 21st place.

Carrick quickly turned things around, guiding them to a fourth-placed finish and the playoffs in his first season and they reached the League Cup semi-finals the following campaign.

However, Middlesbrough failed to earn promotion as they finished eighth and 10th in his last two seasons, leading to ⁠his dismissal in ⁠June last year.

United, who have 68 points, are guaranteed to finish third with a game to spare, ending their campaign with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday.

"Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men's team," Jason Wilcox, the club's director of football, said.

"In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club's values, traditions and history.

"Michael's achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build."


Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
TT

Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon

Alvaro Arbeloa confirmed Friday he would leave his role as Real Madrid coach at the end of a trophyless season.

"Yes," Arbeloa said at a press conference when asked to confirm that he would not be coaching the team next season, amid widespread reports that veteran manager Jose Mourinho is returning to the club.

Los Blancos host Athletic Bilbao on Saturday at the Santiago Bernabeu in their final La Liga match of a turbulent campaign.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez appointed Arbeloa to replace Xabi Alonso in January and he is set to be replaced himself by Portuguese veteran Mourinho.

Spaniard Arbeloa said he would not work as a member of Mourinho's staff if the Portuguese coach is appointed as his successor.

"Mou has a fantastic technical team, he's got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team," said Arbeloa.

"There's no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future... from Monday I'll think about that."

Arbeloa, who played at Madrid between 2009-2016 and later coached there at youth level said he hoped this match was a "see you later" rather than goodbye.

"I hope it's a see you later... I've always considered this my home, I've belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles," said Arbeloa.

"It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid, I don't know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.

"We never know. I'll try and enjoy it and try to get the win."