Messi v Salah in World Cup Last-16 Showdown

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Egypt Training - Atlanta United Training Center, Atlanta, Georgia, US - July 6, 2026 Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Hossam Abdelmaguid during training. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Egypt Training - Atlanta United Training Center, Atlanta, Georgia, US - July 6, 2026 Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Hossam Abdelmaguid during training. (Reuters)
TT

Messi v Salah in World Cup Last-16 Showdown

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Egypt Training - Atlanta United Training Center, Atlanta, Georgia, US - July 6, 2026 Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Hossam Abdelmaguid during training. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Egypt Training - Atlanta United Training Center, Atlanta, Georgia, US - July 6, 2026 Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Hossam Abdelmaguid during training. (Reuters)

Lionel Messi's Argentina face Egypt for a place in the World Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday as the maestro looks to reclaim the lead in a fiercely contested Golden Boot race.

The defending champions meet the African nation, spearheaded by Mohamed Salah, in Atlanta for the right to play Switzerland or Colombia in the semi-finals.

Argentina survived a huge scare from World Cup first-timers Cape Verde in the last 32, edging through courtesy of Diney Borges' own goal in energy-sapping extra time.

They will hope to resume normal service against Egypt, who have never been beyond the round of 16 on football's biggest stage.

"We are on the alert just like we were before the match against Cape Verde," said Argentina boss Lionel Scaloni. "Egypt is also a good rival.

"It's a very good team. They have important players and a coach that has been working with them for a while now. They play good football and always make it difficult for their rivals.

"Salah is a great player -- it will be a pleasure to face him. Our team knows how to face these great players and we always work hard for it."

Scaloni confirmed Messi, 39, is fit to start despite playing the full 120 minutes last week against Cape Verde.

Messi, France star Kylian Mbappe and Norway's Erling Haaland all have seven goals in the race for the Golden Boot, with the Frenchman leading the way due to his two assists.

Messi and Mbappe are also locked in a battle for the title of leading goalscorer in World Cup history, with the Argentine just one goal ahead, on 20.

The South Americans know they will need to up their game against unbeaten Egypt, who eliminated Australia on penalties in the last 32.

Salah, currently without a club after leaving Liverpool, has scored just once in four matches so far.

Egypt coach Hossam Hassan said he had been preparing his players "regardless of the color of the opponent's shirt, or what name they have, and what ranking they have".

"This is a World Cup, a great opportunity to prove ourselves and that we belong here," he said.

- Dangerous Diaz -

Switzerland and Colombia meet in Vancouver in another clash between two unbeaten teams.

The South Americans, supported by hordes of passionate yellow-clad fans, have been tipped as dark horses for the tournament.

Nestor Lorenzo's men have conceded just one goal so far and boast the attacking prowess of Luis Diaz and 2014 World Cup Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez.

Switzerland have not reached the quarter-finals since 1954, when they hosted the tournament, but impressed in a 2-0 win against Algeria in the last 32.

All four teams will be vying to join the heavyweight line-up for the last eight so far -- France, Morocco, Norway, England, Spain and Belgium.

Spain ended Cristiano Ronaldo's World Cup dream on Monday, beating Portugal 1-0 while Belgium crushed the United States 4-1.

Defeat for Mauricio Pochettino's men means none of the host nations remain in the 2026 tournament following the earlier exits of Canada and Mexico.

The build-up to the game in Seattle was overshadowed by controversy after forward Folarin Balogun was cleared to play despite being sent off against Bosnia and Herzegovina last week.

It emerged that the bombshell ruling followed a personal call by President Donald Trump to FIFA chief Gianni Infantino urging him to review Balogun's punishment.



Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday insisted his team's star players could fit together ahead of Los Blancos' opening La Liga game at Espanyol.

Mourinho's predecessors Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa struggled to strike a balance between attack and defense while lining up with Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

Madrid won the Champions League in 2024 with England international Bellingham and Brazilian winger Vinicius playing key roles, but since French superstar Mbappe arrived that summer, the club have not lifted a major trophy.

"They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players," Mourinho told reporters.

"Tactically, it could be tricky. Ancelotti has found a set-up with Brazil perfect for Vini, (Didier) Deschamps has found one with France perfect for Kylian, (Thomas) Tuchel one perfect for Jude, it's harder for Mourinho to do it for the three of them.

"We're on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch... they are three players of great quality.

"They don't play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them."

However, Madrid's stars can consider themselves warned -- they must contribute in defense this season.

"We have to defend with 11 players," said Mourinho.

"If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend."


Spurs Reported to Have Agreed £75 Million Deal for City's Savinho

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026  Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026 Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
TT

Spurs Reported to Have Agreed £75 Million Deal for City's Savinho

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026  Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fifth Round - Newcastle United v Manchester City - St James' Park, Newcastle, Britain - March 7, 2026 Manchester City's Savinho celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough/File Photo

Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a deal worth £75 million ($102 million) to sign Manchester City winger Savinho, British media reported on Friday.

The agreement was reported to include a further £10 million in add-ons and comes ⁠a year after ⁠Spurs' unsuccessful attempt to sign the Brazil international.

Spurs and Manchester City did not immediately respond ⁠to Reuters requests for comment on the reported signing.

Savinho, who made 24 Premier League appearances for City last season, would be another major addition to the Spurs squad after the arrivals ⁠of ⁠midfielders Mateus Fernandes and Sandro Tonali.

British media also reported that Spurs remain in talks over a move for City's Egypt forward Omar Marmoush.


Champions Arsenal Embrace Being ‘Hunted’ as Premier League Returns

Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta celebrates after winning the FA Community Shield. (Reuters)
Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta celebrates after winning the FA Community Shield. (Reuters)
TT

Champions Arsenal Embrace Being ‘Hunted’ as Premier League Returns

Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta celebrates after winning the FA Community Shield. (Reuters)
Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta celebrates after winning the FA Community Shield. (Reuters)

Mikel Arteta said Arsenal will embrace being "hunted" by their title rivals as the new Premier League season kicks off with the champions facing Coventry on Friday.

Just 34 days after a captivating World Cup came to an end, the Premier League returns with Arsenal aiming to cement their position as English football's preeminent force.

The Gunners have the honor of playing the opening game of the season at the Emirates Stadium, before a packed slate of top-flight matches across Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Arteta's side won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years last season, finally getting their hands on the trophy after finishing as runners-up for the previous three years.

Installed as the bookmakers' title favorites this term, Arsenal look well placed to reign supreme again, especially given the questions surrounding their title challengers.

They routed Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield last weekend to send a statement of intent to the chasing pack.

Bolstered by new signings Bruno Guimaraes and Christos Tzolis, with Ezri Konsa set to join from Aston Villa, Arteta has no doubts Arsenal can cope with the pressure of being the team everyone wants to beat.

"We start from scratch, from zero, and we're going to have to prove we are at the level to go back to that position again," he said.

"We need to show that desire, and the ambition to be better than what we were last season, a month ago, a week ago.

"If you give me the choice, I want to be first, I want to be hunted, and I want to be in control of our future, rather than depending on somebody else."

Winning the Premier League was a cathartic moment for the north London club after so many near-misses raised doubts about their character.

- 'A long marathon' -

Arteta believes surviving that test of their resolve will stand them in good stead in their bid to win Arsenal's first back-to-back titles since the 1930s.

"We need to breathe because it's going to be a long marathon," he said.

"We have the ability to improve, to evolve, and that's what I sense and I feel around the club, especially around the players."

Coventry are back in the Premier League for the first time in 25 years after winning promotion from the Championship.

After a spell in the fourth tier in 2017-18 and twice being force to ground-share with other clubs after financial issues involving their own stadium, Coventry's return to the elite is a feel-good story.

But even Sky Blues manager Frank Lampard acknowledges the uplifting tale might not have a happy ending.

"We will go through tougher times this year for sure because of the competition we're up against now," Lampard said.

"It's just a reality that we need to be ready for."

Manchester City, runners-up last season, start life without Pep Guardiola at home to Bournemouth on Sunday.

Guardiola stepped down at the end of last season after winning 20 trophies in a glorious decade at the Etihad Stadium.

Former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca has accepted the daunting task of emulating the Spaniard's success.

Liverpool's new manager Andoni Iraola will take charge of his first game in Sunday's trip to Newcastle.

Ex-Bournemouth boss Iraola was hired by Liverpool to replace Arne Slot, who was sacked following the Reds' disappointing fifth-place finish last season.

Xabi Alonso begins his reign as Chelsea boss with a west London derby at Fulham on Monday.

Manchester United start on Saturday at promoted Hull, who are back in the top tier for the first time since 2017.

Big-spending Tottenham, who narrowly avoided relegation last season, travel to Brentford on Saturday.

Europa League winners Aston Villa, ravaged by a host of star departures since last season, head to Brighton on Sunday.