Morocco Coach Ouahbi Proving Doubters Wrong at World Cup

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 16 - Canada v Morocco - Fans gather in Vancouver - Vancouver, Canada - July 4, 2026 Morocco coach Mohamed Ouahbi gives instructions to players during a hydration break. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 16 - Canada v Morocco - Fans gather in Vancouver - Vancouver, Canada - July 4, 2026 Morocco coach Mohamed Ouahbi gives instructions to players during a hydration break. (Reuters)
TT

Morocco Coach Ouahbi Proving Doubters Wrong at World Cup

Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 16 - Canada v Morocco - Fans gather in Vancouver - Vancouver, Canada - July 4, 2026 Morocco coach Mohamed Ouahbi gives instructions to players during a hydration break. (Reuters)
Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Round of 16 - Canada v Morocco - Fans gather in Vancouver - Vancouver, Canada - July 4, 2026 Morocco coach Mohamed Ouahbi gives instructions to players during a hydration break. (Reuters)

When Mohamed Ouahbi was a student a professor told him he lacked the necessary skills to become a physical education teacher.

In coaching Morocco to the World Cup quarter-finals with an attractive brand of football, Ouahbi has comprehensively proved him wrong.

The 49-year-old Belgium-born coach is yet to lose a match at the tournament and Morocco have an enticing quarter-final date with two-time World Cup winners France in Foxborough, Massachusetts on Thursday.

"I remember (the professor) very well my first year of studying," Ouahbi told French football magazine Onze Mondial this month.

"A professor told me that in his opinion I was not made for teaching, to giving lessons, or communicating."

Ouahbi has made him eat humble pie ever since.

What he failed to achieve on the pitch as a player he has delivered as a coach, although the bulk of his experience has been in developing young talent.

Until he was named Morocco coach just three months before the World Cup to replace Walid Regragui, he had never coached senior players, apart from one season as assistant coach at storied Belgian club Anderlecht.

He had earned his spurs in coaching under-age players, spending 17 years at Anderlecht where Belgium World Cup stars Youri Tielemans and Jeremy Doku were among his proteges.

His years of labor with the youngsters paid off when he guided Morocco to the World Under-20 title last year. Morocco beat France on penalties in the semi-finals and overcame Argentina in the final.

Obviously the task on Thursday in facing a vibrant France side led by superstar Kylian Mbappe is a tougher challenge but Ouahbi has gained the confidence of former international players.

"There were question marks over his ability to coach a side full of stars, but what we saw in the friendlies was promising," ex-Morocco international midfielder Abdelaziz Bennij told AFP.

"He arrived at a time when everyone was worried ... it was a huge gamble and he has succeeded."

- 'Brought added value' -

Ouahbi's background with the under-age players will have served him well in dealing with the prodigiously talented 18-year-old midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, a former France Under-21 star who pledged his allegiance to Morocco shortly before the World Cup.

He has also gained praise for adding elan to the team he took over from Regragui.

Ouahbi's predecessor's counter-attacking style, although hugely successful -- Morocco reached the 2022 World Cup semi-finals before losing to France and won the Africa Cup of Nations final this year -- had become increasingly unpopular.

His more crowd-pleasing style -- with new Bayern Munich signing Ismael Saibari to the fore -- was on show in the 1-1 draw with Brazil in the group stage and then the last 32 win on penalties over the Netherlands.

"He has imposed his style on two footballing giants, notably against the Netherlands," Moroccan great Aziz Bouderbala told AFP.

"He knew how to control the match and came up with an imaginative offensive strategy without losing the defensive solidity.

"Ouahbi has brought added value, and has not been content to just carry on in the same style as before."

It is not only former players who have been impressed but also those closer to home.

"My father is very proud of me," said Ouahbi, who has three children.

"My papa wears suits the whole time and in the Brussels neighbourhood where they live he is called 'Al Pacino'.

"He is always in a suit and tie but now when I give him my tracksuits, he wears those instead!"

Ouahbi, though, is not one for soaking up the praise all for himself -- he prefers a more collegiate approach.

"I try always to include everyone in the project," he told Onze Mondiale.

"I never ever express myself in the first person: I always use 'one' or 'we'.

"The moment I speak in the first person I will put distance between myself and this collective logic.

"It is a staff above all else. Someone who thinks he will succeed alone will not do so... well neither for long nor in the correct manner."



Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
TT

Playing at Real Madrid ‘Not for Everyone’, Says Bernardo Silva

Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)
Pre-Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid's Bernardo Silva during the warm up before the match. (Reuters)

Bernardo Silva said playing for Real Madrid "is not for everyone" after the Portugal midfielder was presented by the 15-time European champions on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, who joined from Manchester City at the end of his contract this summer, said he was proud to join the world's most successful club.

"I've already played quite a few times at the Bernabeu -- when you arrive and see the 15 Champions League titles they display there, it's very imposing, and having them here is very special," Silva told club television channel Real Madrid TV.

"Playing for a club that has 15 Champions League titles is not for everyone, so I'm very proud and now I'll give everything for this club."

Silva's former Manchester City team-mate Rodri joined Madrid's rivals Barcelona on Tuesday.

The Spanish midfielder had been linked with Real Madrid and new Los Blancos coach Jose Mourinho said he had spoken with Rodri earlier in the summer.

"I spoke with him a couple of times, and Real Madrid made him a very good offer," Mourinho told Spanish television show El Chiringuito this week.

"Rodri had doubts... and the doubts of Rodri created doubts for me.

"He's an extraordinary player and was very professional with us, nothing negative to say. But Real Madrid is a club of a stature that can't have players who think twice about it."


Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
TT

Tennis Player Kyrgios Suspended after Failing Test for Cocaine

(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)
(FILES) Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts after a point against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard during their men's singles match at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 31, 2024. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite during an ATP event in Mallorca, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old acknowledged the finding on his ⁠Instagram account, telling ⁠his followers: "I wanted you to hear this from me first."

"I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca ⁠after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it," he wrote.

Kyrgios provided a sample at the ATP 250 tournament in Spain on June 22 and ⁠a ⁠World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory subsequently detected benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, the ITIA statement read.

Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and a substance of abuse under WADA rules and is prohibited in competition.


Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Club: Paul Pogba to be Released by Monaco

Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
Monaco's French midfielder #08 Paul Pogba on the pitch ahead of the pre-season friendly football match between Liverpool and Monaco at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on August 9, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Former Manchester United and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba will be released by Monaco after a series of injuries, the French club said on Wednesday.

Pogba, 33, won the World Cup with France in 2018 but since serving a ban for doping has struggled to return to the elite level.

According to AFP, Monaco said in a statement that the objectives they had set for Pogba were "only partially achieved" and the Ligue 1 club were therefore ending his contract that would have run until June 2027.

Pogba is currently sidelined with a thigh injury, just after returning from a knee problem.

Monaco paid tribute to the player's "remarkable mindset, determination and unwavering high standards" and said even when injured he had had a positive influence on the Monaco squad by "sharing his experience and know-how" with the other players.